Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun show madness

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberSouth DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
Went to the local gun show today. No shortage of guns, most realistically priced. A few idiots had obnoxious price tags, but whatever. I wasn’t buying today, just looking around. As you can imagine, ammo and reloading prices were horrendous. Most guys were selling primers for $100-150 case, but did find this deal at $300!

Most bricks of 22 we’re going for $70, 9mm at $40/50

Glad I’m stocked up on essentials. 

Crazy times
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,663 Senior Member
    Be glad you can have a gun show, our dictator has not released his unilateral powers and the kool-aid drinkers in Minneapolis/St. Paul/Duluth/Rochester won't take them away from him 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,629 Senior Member
    edited March 2021 #3
    At the show I was at, there were a **** ton of people selling ammo.  I think they are going to see their inventory depreciate rather quickly.

I bought a box of Speer Gold Dot 32ACP ammo for my Tomcat for $30. Once I function test it in the Tomcat, it will last me until prices normalize.  

Gun prices seemed very fair except Ak’s. If I hadn’t bought the CZ, I would have bought a very nice Marlin.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Those prices are outrageous!
    If I took everything out of storage and sold it at those prices, I'd have enough for a Holland and Holland double rifle and a trip to Africa.
    If I wasn't an ethical person I might actually do that.
    Shameful!

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    I told my buddy I'm going to sell everything at today's prices and buy Hawaii
  • lancebanyonlancebanyon Posts: 35 Member
    I went to a local gunshow this Saturday.  Saw a brick of Thunderduds for $100.00.  Powders were between $65 & $75 a lb.  Guns were insanely priced.  I did see a Ted Williams bolt action 30-06 (model 70) with a steel weaver scope that was immaculate for $400.00.  If I didn't have too many bolt action hunting rifles already, I'd have dickered with the guy on that one. It almost looked unfired.  And I didn't see anyone buying anything. They were all slack jawed gawkers like me.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    If you shop carefully and are not in a panic, you can buy 500 rounds of decent .22 on GB for about $50-$60 (actual won auctions price) which is about double the pre-Covid price and 9mm for about 1,000 rounds for $600, which sucks but it’s much better than gun show/LGS prices. 

Gun shows are where the uninformed go to burn their money.  I find good deals in gun shows all the time like that 70 you just passed up.  They are just not for newbies...
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,561 Senior Member
    I have not been to a gun show since way before Covid.  Yesterday I drove over to the NG Armory to take a look and see if I could find a hidden gem.  @GunNut, remember that .22 you found?    Anyways as I drove by I got a glimpse of a line.  As I pulled into the parking lot there was a long line to get in.  Observed for a few minutes and saw they were letting people in as others exited.  2 out, 2 in, at that rate it was a >45 minute wait.  I passed and went home
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited March 2021 #10
    Diver43 said:
    I have not been to a gun show since way before Covid.  Yesterday I drove over to the NG Armory to take a look and see if I could find a hidden gem.  @GunNut, remember that .22 you found?    Anyways as I drove by I got a glimpse of a line.  As I pulled into the parking lot there was a long line to get in.  Observed for a few minutes and saw they were letting people in as others exited.  2 out, 2 in, at that rate it was a >45 minute wait.  I passed and went home
    Damn!  We’re good here, no lines.  Not much local ammo and shortages of the usual suspect guns (Glocks and S&W mostly). Pretty much plastic guns are tough to find.  But you can even still find Glocks at Sportsman’s Warehouse at reasonable prices (pre-Covid) every once in a while. 
  • MoregozMoregoz Posts: 4 New Member
    Spk said:
    Those prices are outrageous!
    If I took everything out of storage and sold it at those prices, I'd have enough for a Holland and Holland double rifle and a trip to Africa.
    If I wasn't an ethical person I might actually do that.
    Shameful!

100% agree, this is not normal