Home Main Category Hunting

A miss is a miss..................

BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member

I went hunting a few days ago, the weather permitted it, which it hasn’t been doing much lately. It was quite a hot afternoon and I was sweating profusely despite not walking much. Actually, because it was so hot I decided to hunt in one of the wattle scrub groves which afforded me some shade.

I decided to go out around 3.30 pm which is early when considering the sun now sets at 7 39 pm. My thought was that the rabbits have been getting the same weather as us, high winds and rain on and off sporadically so perhaps they’d take the opportunity to be out and about on such a nice, not too windy day. .... I was wrong………..Ha,ha!

Well, at least there were none out at the first spot I was at. I poked into the wattle scrub grove very slowly being cognizant of the breeze which was from the S.W. and stood still for approx. an hour during which I never saw a single rabbit. Very unusual I thought. All that time I was alert, watching, eyes sweeping the area with no day dreaming. I was fully expecting to see something even if it didn’t give me a shot. But it just didn’t happen.

After an hour I thought: “Stuff this for a lark” and started walking real slowly and then I did see a flash of one leaving the area. He’d seen me first.

I thought the south eastern corner of the property hasn’t been visited for some time so I wandered over there as again the wind was still in my favor. I took a stand beside a wattle rub tree and again began the waiting game as I watched an area I knew had a couple of active warrens.

After a short while I thought I saw a movement so to confirm I use the Lithgow’s 6X scope. Sure enough it was a rabbit out feeding but well camouflaged behind a screen of grass. I didn’t think that the grass would alter the course of my bullet as he wasn’t that hard to see, I took the shot. Understand here, I was using the tree trunk as a steady rest and the range was about 40 yds. so my zero was dead on at that range. Still I missed. That really puzzled me because the shot was not hurried and I had a good hold and I was certain I had me a bunny but No!

I saw him run off so there was no doubt he’d not been hit, it was a clean miss. My aim BTW was his head. Then it occurred to me that my bullet may have touched the wire of an intervening fence. The wire was hog wire which has 9” square openings so I didn’t think it would cause a problem after all I recently shot two rabbits through a much tighter wire netting fence. However, it is the only explanation I can think of for my miss. Either way it doesn’t matter, a miss is a miss.

So I went home empty handed, sweaty and very tired…………..Bazzaloo.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,682 Senior Member
    It happens. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,545 Senior Member
    Everyone misses or makes a bad shot.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    edited March 2021 #4
    I had my Ruger 10-22 heavily oiled for long term storage. Gave it cursory cleaning and took it out mid-winter. Cotton tail posed dead still in front of me, close enough to count wiskers. Steadied the crosshairs and tipped the trigger. "Click." Cycled the action, again "click." Rabbits still posing, never even blinked. Once more, click.... Rabbit had a good laugh on the way over the hill...

Too much oil, well below zero. Yep, me too.....
  • BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member
    Wildlife don't have much to worry about from human hunters as there is a myriad of ways they can be missed. Poor aiming, faulty equipment( gun miss firing ),  sun shining in the scope etc. It's no a wonder
    there are so many 'bad' luck stories proffered by hunters explaining why they were unsuccessful like my own experience.

Bazzaloo.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,682 Senior Member
    And some folks just suck. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    🤣🤣🤣
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,261 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Sad thing is they never learn, never get better and continue to shoot and wound game 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5