Home Main Category General Firearms

Old School Standards (Sharps)

BigslugBigslug Senior MemberPosts: 9,705 Senior Member
Spent yesterday at Dad's helping him clean up a new acquisition - an 1863 Sharps paper cartridge carbine that we're trying to figure out if it's a "weird" variant, converted rifle, or some press-of-war Frankengun oddity.  A fair amount of patina and a probably battlefield repair of the stock, but what I really marveled at was this:

Even under duress of the Great Calamity, they expended more effort on the finish of the INSIDE of the lockwork than most manufacturers are giving to the OUTSIDE of their guns today.

If you look REALLY close at the bottom of the part resting beneath the color-cased bit with the three screws, you'll see a semi-circular hairline.  That's actually two parts - the sear interfacing with the tumbler which has the cock and half-cock notches (should have taken more pics with it cocked).  Probably not even correct to call it a hairline, as you couldn't get a hair in between the two.

If you've got an old Colt, S&W, Winchester, or similar beast from WWI or before, and the outside of it is absolutely beat to hell, do yourself a favor and educate yourself on how to tear into the parts that were more protected from the ravages of time.  Odds are you're going to see something that will make you smile, shake your head at what we've lost, and maybe even send pictures to the current managers of the company with a letter say "Seriously, what HAPPENED to you guys?"
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,716 Senior Member
    I’m in love! Oh midway has bullets for that in stock. Beautiful rifle....er lock. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Look at old pics of 1862 Springfields. Hand made with care. Imagine all the hand work on Allen Conversions or their commensurate cousins across the sea, Snyders.

Check out a hand wraped wire coil cartridge.....
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,690 Senior Member
    That's why I love old guns!! The quality that went into them was amazing. The people building those were craftsmen and took pride in their work!! No CAD CAM/CNC and lack of QC like today!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,564 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    That's why I love old guns!! The quality that went into them was amazing. The people building those were craftsmen and took pride in their work!! No CAD CAM/CNC and lack of QC like today!!
    So very true.  I used to think old guns were rough made parts put together.  Boy was I WRONG.
    When I was cleaning and doing minor repairs on the rifles my wife inherited from her late father I learned how precise parts were put together.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,705 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    I’m in love! Oh midway has bullets for that in stock. Beautiful rifle....er lock. 
    Hee!  Thanks, but I'm pretty sure the old man has a mold that drops copies of the originals somewhere.  We've made cartridges of dubious reliability for a French 1866 Chassepot.  The percussion cap is a separate entity on these, so SIMPLE! . . . sort of. . . :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee