Home Main Category General Firearms

CZ 1012 series shotguns

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 3,953 Senior Member
Anyone have one or have any experience with them? 

I'm kinda, sorta glancing around for a decent but not too expensive semi auto shotgun for general field use, leaning toward dove and quail mostly. I'm not a big duck or goose hunter, so that doesn't play into the decision. I have a bunch of shotguns; two 20ga pumps, three 12ga pumps, a 12ga O/U, a 20ga O/U, a 12ga SxS and a bolt action .410. But I don't own a semi auto. I'm not hardcore about getting one right this moment, but I'm open to ideas and maybe I'll find something I like in the $600 range, plus or min. The CZ 1012 All Terrain catches my attention..

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022425527?pid=568414

Replies

  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,098 Senior Member
    By once cry once, Benelli or Remington, I am leaning more on my Benelli's, the Stoeger semi auto is a reasonable facsimile of a Benelli I have heard and in your price range
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,961 Senior Member
    I grew up with pumps and semi-autos. Once I went double, I never went back. SxS is my preferred but I also like my OUs. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,953 Senior Member
    The first 12ga I hunted with was my dads old semi auto, although I don’t remember what it was. Mostly, I remember it being expensive for a teenager who didn’t know how to shoot. Bang, bang, bang....crap! Reload!!! 

    I bought my first 12ga, a Remington 870, at Walmart and hunted with it for years until I got my O/U. Since then, I honestly can’t remember hunting with anything but that in nearly 20 years and I learned to be a better wing shooter with it. Still, for years it’s felt like my shotgun safe has had a empty spot in it. 

    I totally agree with the buy once, cry once theory in most cases. But in this case, when I look at shotguns in that price range, I lose interest. I just can’t get myself to do it knowing it’s something I won’t use very often. I can afford a Benelli. I just can’t get my brain to wrap around spending that kind of money on something that’ll sit in the safe most of the time. And I can feel more at ease not worrying about my gun bouncing around in the back of the Jeep, crawling through brush and taking a good dose of mid-September sweat and dove blood... 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    A guy I used to shoot with had a single shot 20ga. I can't recall the make/model. It was an inexpensive utility gun. Thing is, it swung on target like nothing I've ever shot. I missed constantly with my guns, and hit regularly with his.

    If I ever get interested in bird hunting. Its a lesson I'll remember.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,332 Senior Member
    I've got their gas gun - CZ 912 - and have been really pleased with it considering the $500 I paid for it. 

    Now I have a sudden urge to buy a 1012...Thanks!

    That all terrain model looks to be well equipped out of the box for hunting and clay shooting.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,953 Senior Member
    I agree the All Terrain model looks fairly well set up. I like the ceracoat and even like that color combined with the wood furniture, in a weird kind of way. The coating would put my mind at ease as far as field use and rust. I’m still considering it. 

    The down side is, I’d pretty much have to order on line without being able to see how it feels and points. Not gonna find one here locally. So I’d be taking that chance...
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,980 Senior Member
    Just a thought...

    One of the most underestimated guns in that price range is the Beretta A300 Outlander.   They fail to get the attention of the normal Beretta crowd because of their relatively low price point and the lack of fancy wood and metal, and other folks on a leaner budget don't even look at them because they assume all Berettas are expensive guns.

    Years back, Walmart used to sell them in the low $300 and my neighbor bought one in 20ga as a utility gun and for the kids to learn on.  Wow could that gun shoot, and being a gas gun it is softer recoiling than my inertia guns I owned at the time.  Bass Pro is selling them for $679.99 and I think they are a GREAT value in a semi-auto shotgun.

    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/beretta-a300-outlander-semi-auto-shotgun-with-black-synthetic-stock
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,953 Senior Member
    Thanks for the info on that. I glanced at a few of those Berettas on line to see what the local Cabelas might have, but didn’t see that model. They have the fancier A300s for $800. Didn’t see that one. That’s added to the list of possible choices. 

    Now, better looking (IMO) but inertia driven CZ or plain Jane black synthetic, but gas operated Beretta?... 🤔 Academy has the Stoeger 3000s as well in that price range. Don’t know much about those. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,980 Senior Member
    edited March 26 #10
    Jay said:
    Thanks for the info on that. I glanced at a few of those Berettas on line to see what the local Cabelas might have, but didn’t see that model. They have the fancier A300s for $800. Didn’t see that one. That’s added to the list of possible choices. 

    Now, better looking (IMO) but inertia driven CZ or plain Jane black synthetic, but gas operated Beretta?... 🤔 Academy has the Stoeger 3000s as well in that price range. Don’t know much about those. 

     
    If you get to handle one you'll see how easy and naturally it points, just like it's more expensive cousins do.  Damn Italians can make a fine shotgun for sure.  Do a search on GB and you'll find them as low as $579 +$30 shipping.

    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/896205938

    And another thought, if you can get past the humpback look (I actually love it) NICE classic used Browning A-5s are selling for rock bottom prices all over the place right now too.  If you've never fired one, it's probably one of the finest pointing semi-autos ever made.  My mid-1900s gun will make ANYONE look good.  Lot's of folks selling grandpa's fine old guns to finance $200 over MSRP Glocks and ARs.

    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 625 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    By once cry once, Benelli or Remington, I am leaning more on my Benelli's, the Stoeger semi auto is a reasonable facsimile of a Benelli I have heard and in your price range
    We have given up on Benelli over price and under preform has been our experience. 

    I know you said no duck or goose hunting but a guy I hunt with has used a Girsan for the past 2 duck/goose seasons. No issues at all. It’s pretty much a Benelli knock off for a quarter to the price. Also allows a sleeper 4th. 

    If I’m not using the Ithaca Mag-10 then it’s a Winchester SX3. Love the SX3 fastest cycling auto on the market. 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,953 Senior Member
    edited April 5 #12
    My quest to find a semi auto shotgun is put on hold for now. I bought a 40 foot connex box/shipping container yesterday that will eventually become my new man cave. So, resources will be used elsewhere for right now.. I'll pick back up on this quest once the new man cave is complete. I'm going to be using it for storing furniture temporarily first. Once it's emptied, it'll be getting framed and sheetrocked, walk-through door installed, electricity, HVAC and then work benches and storage will be built. After the inside is done, the outside will get painted. Hope to have it ready for construction around fall so I can work in cooler temperatures. It'll be quite a step up from the little 8x12 metal building I've been using... It also just happens to be named the same as a ship that was in recent news headlines....




  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,980 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    By once cry once, Benelli or Remington, I am leaning more on my Benelli's, the Stoeger semi auto is a reasonable facsimile of a Benelli I have heard and in your price range
    We have given up on Benelli over price and under preform has been our experience. 

    I know you said no duck or goose hunting but a guy I hunt with has used a Girsan for the past 2 duck/goose seasons. No issues at all. It’s pretty much a Benelli knock off for a quarter to the price. Also allows a sleeper 4th. 

    If I’m not using the Ithaca Mag-10 then it’s a Winchester SX3. Love the SX3 fastest cycling auto on the market. 
    Interesting, I think @Six-Gun just gave up on his Benelli too IIRC.  But I could be confused...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,980 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    My quest to find a semi auto shotgun is put on hold for now. I bought a 40 foot connex box/shipping container yesterday that will eventually become my new man cave. So, resources will be used elsewhere for right now.. I'll pick back up on this quest once the new man cave is complete. I'm going to be using it for storing furniture temporarily first. Once it's emptied, it'll be getting framed and sheetrocked, walk-through door installed, electricity, HVAC and then work benches and storage will be built. After the inside is done, the outside will get painted. Hope to have it ready for construction around fall so I can work in cooler temperatures. It'll be quite a step up from the little 8x12 metal building I've been using... It also just happens to be named the same as a ship that was in recent news headlines....




    That's freaking AWESOME!!!  A connex is a toy I've wanted for a long time and on my list of buys for a relatively short range project coming up soon...  Looking forward to your project, maybe I can steal some ideas! 
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,384 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Jay said:
    My quest to find a semi auto shotgun is put on hold for now. I bought a 40 foot connex box/shipping container yesterday that will eventually become my new man cave. So, resources will be used elsewhere for right now.. I'll pick back up on this quest once the new man cave is complete. I'm going to be using it for storing furniture temporarily first. Once it's emptied, it'll be getting framed and sheetrocked, walk-through door installed, electricity, HVAC and then work benches and storage will be built. After the inside is done, the outside will get painted. Hope to have it ready for construction around fall so I can work in cooler temperatures. It'll be quite a step up from the little 8x12 metal building I've been using... It also just happens to be named the same as a ship that was in recent news headlines....




    That's freaking AWESOME!!!  A connex is a toy I've wanted for a long time and on my list of buys for a relatively short range project coming up soon...  Looking forward to your project, maybe I can steal some ideas! 
    Your Home Owners Association is going to allow that in your back yard?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,332 Senior Member
    Bury it. Duh... :)

  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,980 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Jay said:
    My quest to find a semi auto shotgun is put on hold for now. I bought a 40 foot connex box/shipping container yesterday that will eventually become my new man cave. So, resources will be used elsewhere for right now.. I'll pick back up on this quest once the new man cave is complete. I'm going to be using it for storing furniture temporarily first. Once it's emptied, it'll be getting framed and sheetrocked, walk-through door installed, electricity, HVAC and then work benches and storage will be built. After the inside is done, the outside will get painted. Hope to have it ready for construction around fall so I can work in cooler temperatures. It'll be quite a step up from the little 8x12 metal building I've been using... It also just happens to be named the same as a ship that was in recent news headlines....




    That's freaking AWESOME!!!  A connex is a toy I've wanted for a long time and on my list of buys for a relatively short range project coming up soon...  Looking forward to your project, maybe I can steal some ideas! 
    Your Home Owners Association is going to allow that in your back yard?
    Not where it's going...  >:)
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,980 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Bury it. Duh... :)

    Now why didn't I think of that!!! 
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,098 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    By once cry once, Benelli or Remington, I am leaning more on my Benelli's, the Stoeger semi auto is a reasonable facsimile of a Benelli I have heard and in your price range
    We have given up on Benelli over price and under preform has been our experience. 

    I know you said no duck or goose hunting but a guy I hunt with has used a Girsan for the past 2 duck/goose seasons. No issues at all. It’s pretty much a Benelli knock off for a quarter to the price. Also allows a sleeper 4th. 

    If I’m not using the Ithaca Mag-10 then it’s a Winchester SX3. Love the SX3 fastest cycling auto on the market. 
    Interesting, I think @Six-Gun just gave up on his Benelli too IIRC.  But I could be confused...
    Gave up on a SBE III, Montefeltro's and M2's work fine.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    GunNut said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    By once cry once, Benelli or Remington, I am leaning more on my Benelli's, the Stoeger semi auto is a reasonable facsimile of a Benelli I have heard and in your price range
    We have given up on Benelli over price and under preform has been our experience. 

    I know you said no duck or goose hunting but a guy I hunt with has used a Girsan for the past 2 duck/goose seasons. No issues at all. It’s pretty much a Benelli knock off for a quarter to the price. Also allows a sleeper 4th. 

    If I’m not using the Ithaca Mag-10 then it’s a Winchester SX3. Love the SX3 fastest cycling auto on the market. 
    Interesting, I think @Six-Gun just gave up on his Benelli too IIRC.  But I could be confused...
    Gave up on a SBE III, Montefeltro's and M2's work fine.
    That’s correct.  The SBE 2, M2 and Montefeltro series guns are great.  The SBE 3 is a one-trick pony that is more trouble than it’s worth due to piss poor point of aim/point of impact alignment down the rail.  Guessing ever increasing hold-under on a turkey or deer under field conditions makes it worthless to me and others who have the same gripe.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JenivaJeniva Posts: 2 New Member
    I wasnt aware that CZ had shotguns.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement