Home Main Category General Firearms

Uncle Ted is selling a bunch of his guns...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
Ted Nugent, like many of us, is getting in on years and he has decided to slim down his SIZABLE collection.  

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/ted-nugent-auctions-his-guns/390164

This sale should be monumental!  Other celebrities have done the same in the relatively recent past.  A few years back world class guitarist and rock and roll legend Eric Clapton did the same, selling off a bunch of FINE English guns in the solid 5 figures each, many of them unfired.  Even one of our members who does not come here anymore is also in the process of clearing out one of the best gun collections ever.  He has some world class stuff.

I guess at some point most of us will get there...

Replies

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,607 Senior Member
    edited March 2021 #2
    I slimed down my collection when I moved from Kaliforniastan to Pa. I must admit I acquired a couple good pieces for cancelled carry which I couldn't use in that commie state but I must say I really haven't regretted the down size.

Never been  big fan of his. His music was Ok but his show... I found him a blow hard braggard who had enough money to do as he pleased legal or not. I feel he gave a black eye to a true outdoorsman. 

I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Instead of getting there. I stopped accumulating extra baggage some time ago.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,759 Senior Member
    How do you downsize?  I ask because I need to downsize myself but hate to take a bath when selling them all at once.  A long time ago before the classifieds I asked on this forum the best way to sell guns and Marshall Dan pulled the post under the accusation I was selling trying to sell them here.  I don't know about you guys, but Dan always thought I was trying to get away with something on the board.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    How do you downsize?  I ask because I need to downsize myself but hate to take a bath when selling them all at once.  A long time ago before the classifieds I asked on this forum the best way to sell guns and Marshall Dan pulled the post under the accusation I was selling trying to sell them here.  I don't know about you guys, but Dan always thought I was trying to get away with something on the board.
    Do not EVER try to do a bulk sale.  You’ll be attacked by vultures and RAPED.  Gunbroker has worked exceptionally well for me but there is a steep and expensive learning curve if you don’t know what you’re doing.  If you want I’ll be happy to talk to you about the best way to get it done.  Let me know and PM me your phone number if you want to take me up in it.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,678 Senior Member
    I've had luck thinning the herd on a local forum that does classifieds. 
    After I posted on this thread. I was trying to convince myself how frugal and conservative I am. Then I added up how many guns I acquired in the last ten years.

My opulence knows no shame.......... :#
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,823 Senior Member
    JMHO......if you have a gun you want to sell.......you should't have bought it in the first place.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    JMHO......if you have a gun you want to sell.......you should't have bought it in the first place.

Mike
    I don’t know about that. I’ve bought guns because I thought I wanted them but in time grew tired of them.  I’ve also bought guns that were exceptional deals so in time after I played with them I could use them as trading fodder to upgrade my collection.  I’ve never felt the need to love every gun I’ve bought.  Just wanting it at the moment has always been good enough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    I used to moonlight in a gun shop...I bought a lot of firearms that I wasn't particularly interested in, but that I knew would be great trading material down the road...like a MAC 10 bullet hose that I traded even up for a Sako Forester in .243...
    My stockpile of "interesting" firearms eventually allowed me to acquire most of my grail guns....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    If it takes more than one try to get everything to fit in the safe. Is that a gun fight???
     :D 
    Jayhawker said:
    I used to moonlight in a gun shop...I bought a lot of firearms that I wasn't particularly interested in, but that I knew would be great trading material down the road...like a MAC 10 bullet hose that I traded even up for a Sako Forester in .243...
    My stockpile of "interesting" firearms eventually allowed me to acquire most of my grail guns....
    Yep, what he said.   Worked part time at Gander Mountain and I got to stockpile a lot of great stuff as opportunities presented themselves which after a few play dates I grew weary off and it was later used to upgrade my stash of stuff I actually wanted.  It’s like putting money into a savings account while waiting for the true right thingy to show up!
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,555 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    I've had luck thinning the herd on a local forum that does classifieds. 
    I've pretty much thinned out the herd in my gun safe.  As JKP said, I've used different forum classifieds with great success.  It was always a gun here and a gun there and nothing in bulk.  I still have my .300 BO AR to go, that will be put up for sale soon.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,678 Senior Member

Mike
    Some of mine were inherited and we all shared similar firearm interests. So, as an example, I had four Glock model 22s at one point. Two is all I need...
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Renton, WashingtonPosts: 2,598 Senior Member
    I always been extremely selective about what I buy.  I review pros and cons ad nauseum.  Once I'm sure it serves a legitimate purpose and will be used, I will buy it.  I rarely sell or trade anything, unless I have a plan for an upgrade.  Hence, my safe still has plenty of room. 
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,076 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 said:
    I always been extremely selective about what I buy.  I review pros and cons ad nauseum.  Once I'm sure it serves a legitimate purpose and will be used, I will buy it.  I rarely sell or trade anything, unless I have a plan for an upgrade.  Hence, my safe still has plenty of room. 
    This. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,564 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    bobbyrlf3 said:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,461 Senior Member
    My line was getting a tad long so last year I sold 80 to a dealer up north . All were long guns & the price was right & boom they were gone . Bought around 10 hand guns to replace them a bit . Besides they take up less room .
    I love variety and exploring options.  I'm also an impulse buyer.  As an example, I love the looks/design of old S&W revolvers and have probably bough 4 or 5 vintage Model 10s over the years.  All of them purchases of opportunity that were priced well under market.  The price was right and the money was in my pocket, so why not.  

After playing with them for a bit I normally decide I REALLY have no purpose for one outside of just liking it and as usual there is someone conveniently wanting the gun at that point and funny enough I'm usually in the process of getting something I REALLY want.  It has always worked out for me that way.  I'm constantly upgrading my collection.

BUT there is also the fact that while my kids and wife enjoy firearms, none have exhibited the passion I have for them so I've reached an age where there is more real estate in the backyard that in the front.  Because of this I'm starting the selection and gifting process.  My priorities have changed, that's all.   I'm sure Uncle Ted is in the same boat and I understand it.