Home Main Category Clubhouse

TennMike has passed

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,988 Senior Member
Our friend Mikel passed this morning, according to his nephew on Facebook. Mike was an incredibly bright engineer, veteran, and willing to share his knowledge with everyone. I considered him my friend.  He fought lung cancer bravely these past two years.  Rest in peace Mr. Newman.
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 459 Member
    So long my mate.
    Rest easy.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,034 Senior Member
    So sad!! Mike was a good friend and I'd been concerned since he was absent from facebook lately, I had a bad feeling. He was a tough old fart and I'm going to miss his knowledge and sense of humor!!  :'(
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    I just saw that posted on FB.  Prayers to his family are on the way.  He is one of those who I felt I knew but never had the good fortune to meet.  He will be missed.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,030 Senior Member
    Dang, I was just thinking about him yesterday, needed to check in on him, never got to meet him in person and learn the words only sailors know, if anybody knows if there is somewhere to send a memorial or donation in Mikes name, please let me know. Heaven has a new lobbyist for us gun nuts.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,094 Senior Member
    Goddess Bless that man! A straight shooter who didn't suffer fools well. He fetched a sewing machine for me one time and brought it to the SE shoot. Wow. Its going to take a bit for this to sink in...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,840 Senior Member
    Terrible news. Mikel was an outstanding fellow and I really enjoyed the time spent with him at the SE shoot. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,556 Senior Member
    edited April 7 #8
    DAMN!!!
    Fair wind and following seas Mikel. You were my friend and I'm going to miss you

It's been quite a long time since news of someone's death actually made me "ugly cry"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,793 Senior Member
    So sad. Even though I was "the Yankee" at the shoot the first time I went, Mike treated me with friendship and respect. I'll never forget his humor, wit and intelligence. May he RIP
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,128 Senior Member
    An irreplaceable loss. The scope of his knowledge and experience seemed limitless. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,309 Senior Member
    Rest Easy Mike, you will be long remembered
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 261 Member
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    He was a brilliant man, and I was fortunate enough to call him a friend. Rest easy brother. 
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,784 Senior Member
     :'(

R.I.P. Mike. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,989 Senior Member
    RIP
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,706 Senior Member
    Well this just SUCKS!!!!  I’ve been trying to get out to TN to see him for months and...  well, life...  guess I shouldn’t have put it off...   :'(

Amazing how strongly you can feel for someone you only spent a couple of hours with.  RIP brother and I'll see you at the range in Heaven!  Save the table next to yours for me... 
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,162 Senior Member
    The first time I met Mike it was like I had found a long lost brother. He felt the same way and the time we spent together was and still is precious to me. From terrorising anthills at the SE to wandering the streets in Chattanooga checking out the gunshops and eyeing the local gals gave me memories that will remain with me till I die. Every subsequent visit simply reaffirmed our friendship.
    Rest in peace my brother. 

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Be at peace, and let eternity give you rest and joy.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,668 Senior Member
    edited April 7 #21
    Rest easy in the arms of our Lord. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWVtc3nO01A
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 844 Senior Member
    I'm at a loss for words. RIP, Mikel.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,203 Senior Member
    edited April 8 #23
    Me and mine are keeping you and yours in our thoughts....May the Lord hold you in the palm of his hand...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,080 Senior Member
    I’m at a lose for words  Never had the pleasure of meeting him but felt a kinship non the less. My condolences to his family.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,314 Senior Member
    This is terrible news. I never met the man in person, but have considered him a friend for years.  He will be sorely missed. Rest in peace, Sailor.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,451 Senior Member
    Never knew him outside this forum but I always read anything he wrote.  I knew I would learn something or remember something worth knowing.
    I'm pretty sure I'm a better person just for having interacted with him the few times.
    Thank you Sir.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • drsfefa1drsfefa1 Posts: 20 New Member
    We have been friends online since I joined the forum in 2004. We spoke on the telephone just once, but messaged constantly as recently at last month. A true loss of a great man, who fought back with vigor until the very end.
    My prayers go out to his family. The world will never be the same without him, but is in far better place for his presence.
    Godspeed Mikel!
     :'( 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,357 Senior Member
    Damnit.

Rest well, Mikel. You are missed.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,309 Senior Member
    We all lost a friend, but the world also lost a talented machinist, gunsmith, engineer and all around good guy.
    Several years ago after talking about it for some time, I brought a single shot 20 gauge shotgun to a SE Shoot.  He broke it down and said I only need the top half, so we wont need a FFL for me to ship it.  I went home with half of a inexpensive shotgun.  A couple months later a round tube arrived and I put the barrel on what used to be a single shot shotgun.  I was then and am still the proud owner of what I have called the
    TennMike .357 mag single shot rifle.
    The action is strong enough to handle any .357 mag load one could make.
    It has only killed one hog. But I could hear his smile when I told him about it.
    I think I will make up a tag to put on it, so the kiddo will know about who made it when I am gone.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,427 Senior Member
    I really hate to hear this. He was a nice and friendly man. 
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    RIP Mike! I never had the pleasure of meeting you in person but feel the loss just the same.
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.