Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

No Permit Carry in Tennessee

Welcome to constitutional carry Tennessee!

Tennessee has become the latest state to soon allow most adults 21 and older to carry handguns without first clearing a background check and training after Gov. Bill Lee on Thursday signed the measure into law.

Replies

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    I’m glad that the bill passed but, I wish it was a true constitutional carry bill.
    There are restrictions, that I see people unintentionally violating that could cost them.
    The bill needs to be read thoroughly before you start carrying without the ccw license.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,304 Senior Member
    Is a CCW still available?  That is one of the problems I have with the Constitutional Carry bill that is going through in TX right now.

if we lose CHL, we lose the card that keeps us from asking “mommy may I” from the feds when I want to buy a gun. I would be OK with a constitutional carry bill that had a provision for a background check card that that would bypass the NICS check
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 437 Member
    here in AZ there are 2 levels of concealed carry. One is no permit but with many restrictions. The other is by license that includes a background check but is far less restrictive. AZ is a no permit open carry state but there are the same restrictions as the unlicensed concealed carry. 
    Is a CCW still available?  That is one of the problems I have with the Constitutional Carry bill that is going through in TX right now.

if we lose CHL, we lose the card that keeps us from asking “mommy may I” from the feds when I want to buy a gun. I would be OK with a constitutional carry bill that had a provision for a background check card that that would bypass the NICS check
    I would not worry about losing my ccw. As far as the ability to bypass the check with the ccw permit it varies from state to state. Some states it is dependant on when the ccw was issued, some states have multiple versions of ccw that one version would be exempt and the other not. The 5yr version of the ccw in atleast 1 state I know of will exempt you from the check but if you have the lifetime version you are not exempt. 
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2021 #6
    They passed a lifetime permit here in Alabama.  $300.  That's OK it you are in your 20s but at 10 bucks a year, not worth it for me.  Just a money grabbing scheme by the sherrifs.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    NC has two ways to get a handgun.  If you have a CCL you are good to go.  No NICs or nonsense, as many guns as you want.  If you do not, you apply for a Pistol Purchase Permit (PPP) to the local Sherriff dept and in 3-7 days and $5 later you get a certificate that allows you to buy ONE handgun over the counter.  You can buy 5 certificates at a time.

There is a bill in the table to do away with the PPP because it was instituted before NICS and it’s really the same thing so they’ll just let you buy if you pas NICS.

NC allows open carry but we are not a Constitutional Carry State.  Concealed still needs a license.
    BamaakII said:
    They passed a lifetime permit here in Alabama.  $300.  That's OK it you are in your 20s but at 10 bucks a year, not worth it for me.  Just a money grabbing scheme by the sherrifs.
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I know the cost in Alabama is determined by the sherif dept and they vary from location to location. Curious what they charge in your location.
    10 bucks a year, 20 with a photo.  Up to 5years at a time.  I'm 62, I would have to live and carry for 30 years for the lifetime to start paying off.
    There have been many movements to do away with permits here but the sherrifs association fights it cause they would loose to much money.