Home Main Category General Firearms

Speaking of training...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,974 Senior Member
I’m sooooooo proud of this man.  He’s in his 70s, New York City born and raised and had NEVER touched a handgun until today.  

He was literally shaking when I was showing him a correct grip.  His goal for today was to become at ease with a handgun and be able to come to the range on his own to do some drills and become more proficient for SD.  As most of us he’s just worried about his right to protect himself and his lovely wife disappearing in the near future so he’s taking my CC class and I’m helping him pick a SD firearm soon.

Two hours and he not only got the fundamentals down but learned how to load and unload a Glock 44 on his own, range etiquette and safety and finished up proudly posing next to his target.  

The few high shots were his firsts before he figured out the correct sight alignment.  Then he just nailed that target over and over in the High Center Chest area at typical self defense distances.  Not even ONE shot outside of the effective area.

Proves there is NO such thing as too old to learn a new skill!!!

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,126 Senior Member
    And he was probably grinning 90% of the time..

A few years back there was an older gentleman that came to our PPC  matches most every month. He shot a 1911 that he  got soon after WW2. He wasn't fast but he rarely missed the A zone on any target. And nobody could get the grin off his face. 

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 674 Senior Member
    Doing great buddy.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,974 Senior Member
    Oh it’s gonna take a plastic surgeon to remove the grin off his face!  He’s emailed me 3 times this afternoon to thank me.  I really love this guy! 

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,961 Senior Member
    👍🏻
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,304 Senior Member
    I wager he's thinking, "I should've done this sooner."
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

He did say that a few times...

edited April 9 #8
    BTW, UNANIMOUSLY from the opinions of folks I train, the Glock 44 is a screaming success and by FAR the most liked handgun to shoot!  If you like Glocks and don’t own one you’re missing out on a neat gun!  They also make great field expedient paperweights.  😁

That's only because you leave the K 22 home
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,117 Senior Member
    Yeah, that. Bread and water seems just fine when you have not been offered caviar :#
    OMG he's not only been assimilated he's making new glockophobes 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,603 Senior Member
    I love these kind of stories-Thanks!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited April 9 #13
    sakodude said:
    Yeah, that. Bread and water seems just fine when you have not been offered caviar :#
    OMG he's not only been assimilated he's making new glockophobes 
    The Glockophile factory is self- feeding an runs on auto.  I just sit quietly and watch 🤣

Hey, no one loves classics as much as I do!  But it’s not realistic to train folks for a goal of carrying for self defense using a tool I’d never recommend they would carry, no?   Most of these folks will never be handgun collectors or junkies like us.  

Glock is a pretty ubiquitous platform that translates well to just about any modern striker fired gun out there.  So teaching fundamental with a Glock gives them skills that travel well regardless of what option they pick in the future.

Trigger is not bad and it has enough take up to make it safe with folks with no trigger experience but not light enough that it lends itself to ADs (I’m not installing Ghost Connectors on training guns).  Reloads etc work the same as just about any modern pistol out there, controls are the same and the gun and mags fit in Glock 19 gear which is a really popular gun for LE/SD/HD so getting good cheap “loaner” gear is easy for me.

Also, so far the quadruplet sisters and all extra mags have been exceptionally reliable after a super short break in period.  There’s only one mag that’s giving me sporadic FTFs an it seems to be resolving itself with use so I’ll use it for failure drills until it runs 100%.  So there is no down side to this gun that I can come up with.

I love these kind of stories-Thanks!
    Me too, they warm my heart!  A few weeks back I had a grandma in her 80s, but she was already GOOD with her little Beretta .22!  She grew up in a farm, hunting as a young girl as soon as she could hold up a gun.  Put her own kids to shame!  We worked on getting her better with reloads and carry options.  She was a hoot!  Anyone messing with the little old lady in the walker is in for a BAD day! 🤣🤣🤣