Home Main Category General Firearms

New to me clay buster

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,293 Senior Member
    Actually, my advice is to just go drag it across a barb wire fence and get it over with...that way you can stop worrying about it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,112 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Actually, my advice is to just go drag it across a barb wire fence and get it over with...that way you can stop worrying about it...
    That's a little drastic! It's not new so it has a couple nicks already but I will strive to keep her clean.
    I have not hunted birds in many years but should the opportunity present, I have other options for field use.
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 673 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    A side x side in 20ga is on the bucket list. I have a nice old Savage 311 SxS in 16ga but one barrel will not fire and I have not been bold enough to take it apart yet :s
    Pictures ?

Salt..... :smile:

Yours keeps me motivated!! You want pics of the Savage?
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    My SxS is a 20 gauge Steven's I bought with part of the last check the Marine Corps gave me. It ain't pretty but countless bunnies, squirrels, dove, and even a few dozen ducks didn't seem to mind. But, I've always lusted for an O/U.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited April 14 #37
    The advise goes back to the time I took a friend of mine out for the late pheasant season in Kansas...he had brought along a Browning Citori with some spectacular wood along for his bird gun....He sweated getting a garf on that stock for days as we pounded the CRP...I even offered to put a little nick in some unobtrusive spot with a pocket knife...Finally as he was crossing a barb wire fence he scratched the stock....He actually manage to have a good time after that :)  This is why all my bird guns have oil finishes on their stocks...
    edited April 14 #38
    sakodude said:
    I do
    May have a,shot at a 16 too :smile:
    Use up some of that 16 gauge ammo I don't know why I have.
    Still nothing on my 410 though :(
    sakodude said:
    I do

And just for giggles a pair of wall hangers. An Old Ithaca hammerless and a Hopkins & Allen Forehand

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,720 Senior Member
    You know when we go shoot a round it will have to bring my cz bobwhite SXS 20.....🤣😂
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,278 Senior Member
    My Stevens 311 12ga knocks the snot of me with field loads. Its tollerable with light target loads.

Needs a new pad. The one on it is petrified like a solid block.

Not that I'd be able to hit anything if it was soft. I'd just feel better about missing.......
    Elk creek said:
    You know when we go shoot a round it will have to bring my cz bobwhite SXS 20.....🤣😂
    As if I'm not envious enough of your toys B)
    edited April 14 #43
    My Stevens 311 12ga knocks the snot of me with field loads. Its tollerable with light target loads.

Needs a new pad. The one on it is petrified like a solid block.

Not that I'd be able to hit anything if it was soft. I'd just feel better about missing.......
    The 16ga is not to bad but to be honest I don't think I ever fired without at least a mid weight jacket on.
    It has an old hard plastic butt pad that has cracked and needs replacement as well.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Wow! Beautiful gun!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,937 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    sakodude said:
    I do

And just for giggles a pair of wall hangers. An Old Ithaca hammerless and a Hopkins & Allen Forehand

Why is the Ithaca a wall hanger?
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

And why isn't that 16 gauge fixed yet ?........go to the corner.
    I rehabbed quite a few old SxSs...Ithacas, LeFevers, N.R. Davis, etc...one thing nearly all of them share is horrible original stock configurations...Length of pull and drop at the comb in particular...this contributed to the reports of many of these guns "kicking like a horse"...

That, along with the fact that many of those shotguns from the "Golden Age of Shotgunning" are short chambered and while a standard 2 3/4" shell will fit in those short chambered guns, the recoil is pretty darned unpleasant....always...always check the chamber length on those classy old SxSs....

Well you ever want to get rid of the wall hanger call me!

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    sakodude said:
    sakodude said:
    I do

Mechanically it is probably fine but the stock has several repairs and they look old. Just makes it a bit suspect. The Hopkins and Allen looks to have wire wrap Damascus barrels and I suspect a replaced stock.
    If you are actually interested let me know, they are slated to go on GB at some point.

And why isn't that 16 gauge fixed yet ?........go to the corner.
    Everything I've read about those 311 is they are a royal pain to put back together without proper tools.
    I'm going to the corner now.....
    sakodude said:
    GunNut said:
    sakodude said:
    sakodude said:
    I do

Mechanically it is probably fine but the stock has several repairs and they look old. Just makes it a bit suspect. The Hopkins and Allen looks to have wire wrap Damascus barrels and I suspect a replaced stock.
    If you are actually interested let me know, they are slated to go on GB at some point.
    Let’s move this to PM

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Very nice.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    SxS (like God intended)

AMEN
    I've owned a SxS for 40 years. I like it and have done well with it over the years. I've shot a handfull of O/Us over the years, and my SxS would be traded for the first O/U that was equal trade fodder.

Mike

I want a SxS so bad but it must have external hammers.  I found one a Norinco but the quality wasn't there.
    SxS (like God intended)

AMEN
    I've owned a SxS for 40 years. I like it and have done well with it over the years. I've shot a handfull of O/Us over the years, and my SxS would be traded for the first O/U that was equal trade fodder.

Mike
    External hammers?
    Buford said:
    SxS (like God intended)

AMEN

Mike

I want a SxS so bad but it must have external hammers.  I found one a Norinco but the quality wasn't there.

Buford said:
    SxS (like God intended)

AMEN

Mike

I want a SxS so bad but it must have external hammers.  I found one a Norinco but the quality wasn't there

Check out the CZ hammer Classic and or Hammer coach. Probably just what you're looking for.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,278 Senior Member
    I handled one of the CZ's in 20ga.. A S×S hammerless. It was worth every bit of the thousand bucks the seller was asking. Excellent fit & finish. I just can no longer aquire trinkets to collect dust in storage, and maybe get used once a year if I'm lucky.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    edited April 16 #58
    No, Buford, mine looks almost exactly like the SxS Sako posted. I think mine might be a bit later version, due to it having cheap pressed in checkering. Due to the rediculious price of any SxS nowadays, there should be some pride of ownership. But back in the day it was barely a step up from a single shot .410. Simply a "Working gun" for those unable/unwilling to pay $250 for a "real" shotgun. Funny, after 40 years, I have a hard time imagining it as more than a working gun.  It ain't a work of art. It's best feature, IMO, is you can select between "Full" and "Modified" in the amount of time it takes your brain to process the thought. That was worth (and maybe still is) more to me than one extra shot from an autoloader. Beagle run bunnies can pop up at any distance, and "Full" at 20 yards is pretty tough on the meat of a quartering bunny.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    A side x side in 20ga is on the bucket list. I have a nice old Savage 311 SxS in 16ga but one barrel will not fire and I have not been bold enough to take it apart yet :s

Challenge accepted!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    sakodude said:

Challenge accepted!
    Sweet
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    A little back story on the gun. 

That gun makes about #30 we bought from the same family.  Almost everything has had exceptional wood. Mostly custom hunting rifles,  several in very oddball or wildcat cartridges. 

Many of the rifles were built for single hunts,  the gentleman hunted around the world.  He'd book a hunt,  and build a rifle for that hunt.  He did the wood himself and a good bit of the metal as well.  Many of the barrels were odd barrel lengths, like 23 or 25. If the gun was being for a single animal,  he carve that animal into the grip.  We had several antelope,  several big horns, a couple mountain goats, 1 or 2 elk, an elephant,  a fair buffalo (I kinda regret not buying that 416 Rigby) and I think 3 bears. 

The gentleman was also the creator/ founder of HiViz sights.  There's a good chance the bead on Sako's gun could've been a prototype. 

Here are a couple of pics of a few, including the Citori Sakodude WAS going to buy, which itself was an oddball 3" chamber gun I had to search a while for to get info.  

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.