Home Main Category General Firearms

Ruger Redhawk question

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,075 Senior Member
I thought I had a holster for mine, but spring cleaning didn't produce one.  It's a 5.50" and what I'd call heavy.  Leather, preferably.  Any suggestions?
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    I like the Hunter 1100 for heavy revolvers. I also have a Elpaso Saddlery #88 Street Combat for my model 29 S&W. Both are good quality.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,961 Senior Member

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Depending on what I’m doing, I like cross draw options for revolvers. So, I like holsters that are a ale to be utilized both strong side and cross draw. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,075 Senior Member
    Thanks.  I got the Galco one ordered.  Looks like a nice holster.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,384 Senior Member
    I had the Triple K for my Singke Six, but someone stole it.  Best revolver holster I ever used.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited April 18 #7
    My Galco with my 5.5” Redhawk. 

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    You won't go wrong with the GALCO, I have one that fits a 6" barrel and use it any revolver from single 6 on up to redhawks. As they set in the holster based on the revolvers frame, shorter barrels do no cause an issue.
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 99 Member
    One more vote for Galco
    works great with my Ruger SBH 44 7 in bbl.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,098 Senior Member
    I usually watch for Ruger to have a website sale and have all of my Ruger handguns outfitted with whatever they have on their website, everything fits good and looks good so far. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • lancebanyonlancebanyon Posts: 27 New Member
    Japhy said:
    One more vote for Galco
    works great with my Ruger SBH 44 7 in bbl.

Yep. I like my Galco holsters.
    Got my Galco holster yesterday.  It's a tight fit and the strap seemed to be short.  I know a leather holster has to settle in.  I read the brochure that came with the holster, something I don't usually do.  It said to wrap the gun in kitchen film, and when I got to that point I expected to wet the holster and let it dry.  No, it said just wiggle the gun in the holster dry, which I did.  I was able to get the snap closed with some difficulty, and now the gun is in the holster and stretching what needs to be stretched.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    Grocery sacks and bread bags work too. I've also belted a holstered gun so wraped to a compression bagged sleeping bag to get a bend on the leather.
    Gene L said:
    Got my Galco holster yesterday.  It's a tight fit and the strap seemed to be short.  I know a leather holster has to settle in.  I read the brochure that came with the holster, something I don't usually do.  It said to wrap the gun in kitchen film, and when I got to that point I expected to wet the holster and let it dry.  No, it said just wiggle the gun in the holster dry, which I did.  I was able to get the snap closed with some difficulty, and now the gun is in the holster and stretching what needs to be stretched.
    That’s what I did when I got it. Worked like a champ after a few days. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,328 Senior Member
    When I make a holster, in order fit it to the handgun, I wrap the firearm in several layers of Saran Wrap, wet the hater with warm water, place the gun in the holster and stick everything in a Food Saver bag and pull a vacuum, seal the bag and let it set for a few hours...The leather molds to the firearm very nicely.

When I remove it from the bag, I let the holster dry thoroughly and then oil it with whatever I choose to use...Olive Oil, Neatsfoot Oil...I've even owed Sno-Seal...
    One thing to avoid is anything that softens the leather...like Mink Oil...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    When I make a holster, in order fit it to the handgun, I wrap the firearm in several layers of Saran Wrap, wet the hater with warm water, place the gun in the holster and stick everything in a Food Saver bag and pull a vacuum, seal the bag and let it set for a few hours...The leather molds to the firearm very nicely.

When I remove it from the bag, I let the holster dry thoroughly and then oil it with whatever I choose to use...Olive Oil, Neatsfoot Oil...I've even owed Sno-Seal...
    One thing to avoid is anything that softens the leather...like Mink Oil...
    I literally fill the bathroom sink with warm water and drop the holster in it first to completely soak it (my wife HATES it when I do it).  Pull it out after total water saturation and dry it off with my shop towels and then wet mold it to the gun.  I leave the gun in the holster for a few hours, then remove it and dry the excess water from the gun and inside the holster and do it again.  I then let the newly molded holster dry overnight, then I work the gun in and out a few times until I get exactly the level of retention I want and then let it dry completely for another day.  I have even re-purposed leather holsters that were originally molded to one gun to be wet molded to something completely different.  All my old SIG P-226 holsters are now Glock holsters.  If you want the ultimate in fit, slide the wet holster with the gun in it on a nylon belt (they don’t stretch) and cinch it around your waist and wear it for a few hours.  Now it’s molded to the gun AND you.

When I buy a used holster, or get one with a used gun, that has too much oil and is too soft I raise the temp of the water from warm to faucet hot and leave the holster in it overnight.  I might even repeat a few times depending on how much the previous owner screwed up.  This will actually bleed the excess oil out of the leather and usually brings them right back to life.  Then like Jayhawker said, a quick wipe down with olive oil and I’m good to go.

I have holsters that are 30 years old and have gone through this treatment a few times in their life.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

There is a reason I detest leather holsters. Case in point above. Among other reasons leather is sub par to modern materials. 
    edited April 25 #18
    You're right. Leather is heavy, it loses its shape, it's more expensive than some other materials, takes "break-in" time and is thick. For all my carry guns, I have kydex holster.  However, in this case, it's the only choice.Plus, it looks good.
    Zee said:
    There is a reason I detest leather holsters. Case in point above. Among other reasons leather is sub par to modern materials. 
    I almost never carry in leather anymore but there are times I do just because I have so much of it still around.  When I do it’s usually a revolver or a 1911 I’m open carrying at the range.  The EDCs are all in Kydex nowadays.  Whole pile of it on my night stand.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,384 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    I almost never carry in leather anymore but there are times I do just because I have so much of it still around.  When I do it’s usually a revolver or a 1911 I’m open carrying at the range.  The EDCs are all in Kydex nowadays.  Whole pile of it on my night stand.
    Brother GunNut, you need to get with the program and get a box, bag, or dedicated drawer for all the holsters you don't use. Maybe a couple of them
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Brother GunNut, you need to get with the program and get a box, bag, or dedicated drawer for all the holsters you don't use. Maybe a couple of them
    There is a BIG shelf in my office closet that just has big BOXES of holsters separated by type and gun type.  There is one box with only revolver western holsters.  There a drawer behind my desk just dedicated to the ones I want handy. There’s a big metal loop that only holds cartridge belts.  Decades of accumulation, whims and mistakes...