Home Main Category General Firearms

Newest temptation

sakodudesakodude Senior MemberPosts: 4,112 Senior Member
As mentioned in my clay buster thread while waiting to pick it up I was tempted with this little gem.

Too good of a deal not to take home with me :#

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    So you keeping that one or does the SiL get it? Because I DID buy another 1911 needing some TLC that would help him build some character ;)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,293 Senior Member
    edited April 18 #3
    Can't go wrong with a 1911...I've heard good things about the Remington version...
    I would have to do some work on it before I started toting it around though...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,112 Senior Member
    So you keeping that one or does the SiL get it? Because I DID buy another 1911 needing some TLC that would help him build some character ;)
    Wife has taken a liking to this one. Already put Hogue grips on it at her request. So tell me about this other 1911 :#
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,278 Senior Member
    Looks nice. What system did Remington use. FP block? Just curious.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Looks nice. What system did Remington use. FP block? Just curious.
    They're a straight-up Series 80.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,645 Senior Member
    edited April 18 #8
    I've had mine since 2011. It has a hogue grip, and I put a proper arched msh along with a new hammer and beavertail grip safety due to hammer bite.
    LOVE IT

Edited to add: carried it for years until I got my LW Commander
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    I've had mine since 2011. It has a hogue grip, and I put a proper arched msh along with a new hammer and beavertail grip safety due to hammer bite.
    LOVE IT

Glad to know you're happy with yours. Is the  hammer/grip safety a difficult swap? I've never disassembled a 1911 before and it looks like it could be a worthwhile project. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,919 Senior Member
    .45 ACP?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    .45 ACP?
    Yes. I have a ton of 180gr cast bullets I'm going to load light for the wife to shoot. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,919 Senior Member
    Both guns and ammo are unobtanium around here. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    You may find yourself a whole new level of tinkering fun. These pistols are never ending journey of learning. I just learned more about them this week that I didn't know.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,289 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    knitepoet said:
    LOVE IT

Glad to know you're happy with yours. Is the  hammer/grip safety a difficult swap? I've never disassembled a 1911 before and it looks like it could be a worthwhile project. 

It's relatively easy. I take my 1911s down to frame for monthly cleanings. I don't have to but I get bored. Once you know all the parts involved, it's easy.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    sakodude said:
    knitepoet said:
    LOVE IT

It's relatively easy. I take my 1911s down to frame for monthly cleanings. I don't have to but I get bored. Once you know all the parts involved, it's easy.
    Good to know. I've never been very adventurous with disassembly much beyond basic field stripping. This may prove to be a good learning experience for me.   
    You may find yourself a whole new level of tinkering fun. These pistols are never ending journey of learning. I just learned more about them this week that I didn't know.
    That's the nice thing about our hobby, there is always something to learn.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,937 Senior Member
    edited April 19 #17
    sakodude said:
    knitepoet said:
    LOVE IT

It is a worthwhile project for sure.  Without it most folks end up with two options, shooting with the OLD style low Bullseye grip or bleed.  My unaltered 1911s (spelled collectibles) require me to shoot with a strip of waterproof surgical tape applied on the web of my hand right where trigger byte occurs, I just keep rolls of it in my shooting bags.   Second best stuff to duct tape anyway.

A grip safety swap is NOT a complicated thing but they are not drop in.  You will have to properly fit the safety to your gun.  Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it properly and you will learn much about te inner works of the 1911 while doing this.  If you get into a jam call me.

In any case NICE pickup!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,559 Senior Member
    A somewhat easily dropped-in grip safety is this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005770023?pid=954488

I fit it to a Colt 1911.  Had to file the safety/frame interfaces (did it on the safety, not the grip frame.  Cut on the cheaper part.)  Then I had to trim where the safety stops the trigger.  Not hard, just took time and disassemling/reassembling it over and over a few times.

You would need a different hammer, at least.  You can get a new hammer and have it fit, or get this:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005647073?pid=154446

You can opt for this setup which comes with new springs, but given that this is a new handgun, I really wouldn't think new springs are needed.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005648555?pid=245563
    Overkill is underrated.
    edited April 19 #19
    The fisher fellow brings up a good point.  Make sure you get one that does not require extensive frame modifications.  That’s not the first project you want to take on a 1911.  Not super complicated but requires jigs, tools and patience and it’s a little nerve racking filings away on a new 1911 frame.  I’ve used that WC safety on several guns and it works well.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

If you wear an apron and slide your eye glasses down your nose. It counts as a slight increase of skill and experience. Every little bit helps.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,645 Senior Member
    Mine was a straight drop in. 
    I'm not much of the gunsmithing type, however I was able to make the swap with only minimal help from youtube. Oh, there is one other thing I swapped, and that was the recoil spring. I went 2# heavier than stock, just because.
    My carry ammo is Fed 230gr HST +P and I figured the slightly heavier spring wouldn't hurt
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    Mine was a straight drop in. 
    I'm not much of the gunsmithing type, however I was able to make the swap with only minimal help from youtube. Oh, there is one other thing I swapped, and that was the recoil spring. I went 2# heavier than stock, just because.
    My carry ammo is Fed 230gr HST +P and I figured the slightly heavier spring wouldn't hurt
    Every once in a while you do luck out.

Thanks all for the advise, links and tips. We will see where it all leads.
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 99 Member
    Congratulations on the Remington 

I am a recent convert although I grew up with a government Colt under the seat of the family Ford truck.  I didn’t inherit the Colt but finally bought one.  

I am rapidly becoming a 1911 fanatic. The ergonomics are amazing it becomes an extension of the arm and points instinctively. I disassembled it shortly after buying it to learn how it operates. 

Now if there were only more ammo available!

I can easily see 2 or 3 more 1911s in the stable in various configurations. So watch it these things are too easy to love!