Home Main Category Clubhouse

Going back to my roots...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
After years of driving civilized vehicles I’m going back to my real love...  If this all works out I’ll be picking this up tomorrow 😎

I loved my Mazda 6 Signature, it was an AMAZING vehicle but totally unsuitable for my new business.  This is way closer to serving my current needs.  Going for a final test drive, checkout and paperwork tomorrow morning so wish me luck!

In case you’re wondering those are 37” tires 😱
Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,760 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

So just as a point of mechanical interest, how does one change a flat on something that large?  Having done a stocker on a Toyota Tundra in the field, I have no desire to deal with bigger.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    Welcome back, brother! ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,624 Senior Member
    edited May 3 #4
    Bigslug said:
    GunNut said:

So just as a point of mechanical interest, how does one change a flat on something that large?  Having done a stocker on a Toyota Tundra in the field, I have no desire to deal with bigger.
    A stack of 4x4 cribbing and a bottle jack or a High Lift Jack with a stabilizing foot and a Jack stand...I also recommend a big ass breaker bar...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    After all, what kind of an impression does a GunNut in a Mazda leave on a class of virgin shooters :D
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,746 Senior Member
    I have seen those Jeeps do incredible things off road.

Those lights are serious.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    GunNut said:

Jayhawker said:
    Bigslug said:
    GunNut said:

A stack of 4x4 cribbing and a bottle jack or a High Lift Jack with a stabilizing foot and a Jack stand...I also recommend a big ass breaker bar...
    This...  or you call AAA and layback and listen to the dude curse a lot 🤣🤣🤣

All jokes aside High lift Jack and I’ve changed a tire on my wives old Hummer 34” and my old Jeep 35” and they weren’t that bad.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

zorba said:
    I forgot to mention, it’s a stick! 😁

I have seen those Jeeps do incredible things off road.

Those lights are serious.
    As my old buddy was fond of saying to new Jeep owners, these things will get you into places and situations you have no business being in.

sakodude said:
    After all, what kind of an impression does a GunNut in a Mazda leave on a class of virgin shooters :D
    There is that... 😂

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    sakodude said:
    There is that... 😂
    Should have gotten a Pick-em-up truck with a waterproof cover over the bed with a safe bolted to the frame.  Now that would fit the image! B)
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    sakodude said:
    There is that... 😂
    Should have gotten a Pick-em-up truck with a waterproof cover over the bed with a safe bolted to the frame.  Now that would fit the image! B)
    The other vehicle I was looking at was an older (but in beautiful shape) Ford Excursion with the TurboDiesel motor.  That would have taken a bolted on BIG safe, no problem.  But the mileage was too high.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Cool!

Will you be changing your screen name to Bubba? :)

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Cool!

Will you be changing your screen name to Bubba? :)

Maybe… 🤓

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    But does it have a touch screen in the dash? ;) I was wondering about the transmission...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    But does it have a touch screen in the dash? ;) I was wondering about the transmission...
    No, but I probably will be upgrading the “radio” to something more iPhone compatible in time.  It does have some amenities like power windows and such.  Not ready to go full savage yet… 😎

It is a 5 speed and it felt good driving it around.  Have to say it all came right back even though it’s been nearly 15 years since I drove a stick.

edited May 3 #17
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    No, but I probably will be upgrading the “radio” to something more iPhone compatible in time.  It does have some amenities like power windows and such.  Not ready to go full savage yet… 😎

It is a 5 speed and it felt good driving it around.  Have to say it all came right back even though it’s been nearly 15 years since I drove a stick.

5 speed? Are you sure? I thought all the JKs had sixes? *confused* My mother always said that you never forgot how to drive a manual regardless of how many automatics you went through.
    Oh, and what engine?
    I would expect you to of course install "Car Play" or whatever its called! ;)

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,402 Senior Member
    Nice! You need to get a high lift jack to bolt onto the back or across the hood!
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 470 Member
    edited May 3 #20

I know it probably looks cool to have the wheel house liners removed, or maybe there was an interference issue with the larger tires, but you might want to consider providing some kind of protection to the exposed harnesses and connectors.  Even small chips thrown up from the road or sand will damage wiring insulation and lead to corrosion issues in the wiring.  The connector on the bulkhead on the right side carries a number of CAN C bus wires that will cause all kinds of trouble if they get damaged or corroded.  The little connector on the left side of the bulkhead under the brake booster has wiring for the left front wheel speed sensor. Additionally the front marker wiring is routed under the  fenders, and is normally protected by the wheel house liners.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,404 Senior Member
    Wrangler w/ 4 doors = woman w/ back titties...... 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,596 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Hey,  let's give women w/ back titties some slack.
    They may not be much to look at but they sure are fun to dance with!🤗
    That's all I got.

Paul
    Some_Mook said:

I know it probably looks cool to have the wheel house liners removed, or maybe there was an interference issue with the larger tires, but you might want to consider providing some kind of protection to the exposed harnesses and connectors.  Even small chips thrown up from the road or sand will damage wiring insulation and lead to corrosion issues in the wiring.  The connector on the bulkhead on the right side carries a number of CAN C bus wires that will cause all kinds of trouble if they get damaged or corroded.  The little connector on the left side of the bulkhead under the brake booster has wiring for the left front wheel speed sensor. Additionally the front marker wiring is routed under the  fenders, and is normally protected by the wheel house liners.

Good catch and it now turns out there is some other stuff with the vehicle I didn't know about, so I just cancelled the contract...

BUT!  In the process of doing this I learned a LOT!!!  Buying a tricked out Jeep is a double edged sword.  Maybe you're getting a great value, maybe you're getting someone else's mistakes...

In any case, God is good!  While trying to straighten all this out I found an even BETTER vehicle, so I was stopped from making a mistake!  Yep, still a Jeep but NICER!  This one is still stock, super low mileage AND I'll get to build it up the way I want it!!!  I Love Lego guns and cars.  B)

jbp-ohio said:
    I used to think that but the damn 4 door Jeeps have really grown on me and I'm impressed with the way they drive and handle.  I've already owned enough 2 doors to know they are totally impractical and unworkable for what I need to do with it since this is going to be my work car.  So a 4 door it has to be.

zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

5 speed? Are you sure? I thought all the JKs had sixes? *confused* My mother always said that you never forgot how to drive a manual regardless of how many automatics you went through.
    Oh, and what engine?
    I would expect you to of course install "Car Play" or whatever its called! ;)
    Sorry, yes 6 speed manual.  Engine is the 3.6L V6.  The one I just found has the same, interesting bumping into 2 manual transmission Jeeps in ONE week!

Anyway this is the one I'm looking into right now.  It's looking REALLY good.  Not as many goodies on it but significantly less miles and in primo shape.  I'm already shopping for accessories...

GunNut said:
    In any case, God is good!  While trying to straighten all this out I found an even BETTER vehicle, so I was stopped from making a mistake!  Yep, still a Jeep but NICER!  This one is still stock, super low mileage AND I'll get to build it up the way I want it!!!  I Love Lego guns and cars.  B)
    Stock is good. Esp. when buying. But you can't leave us hanging like this - DEETS!!!

GunNut said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    I used to think that but the damn 4 door Jeeps have really grown on me and I'm impressed with the way they drive and handle.  I've already owned enough 2 doors to know they are totally impractical and unworkable for what I need to do with it since this is going to be my work car.  So a 4 door it has to be.
    My wife thinks 4 door Jeeps are "fake Jeeps" - but unless its something you're just going to drive on Sundays and go wheeling with, the 4 doors make a lot of sense. As in Jeep should have started making them in about 1948. 2 door Jeeps are only good for one thing - and that sure ain't hauling anything. I can actually get more into my wife's Fiat Pop than I can into my Jeep! Mine is just a toy, so the 2 door is fine, but if I needed it to do double duty, it would need to be larger. I was really looking forward to driving it to the SE shoot...

zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    Stock is good. Esp. when buying. But you can't leave us hanging like this - DEETS!!!
    Well the pic from above is from the website.  It arrives here on Thursday at 5:00pm!  I'll give a full range report when it gets to my driveway, not just the car but how I purchased it.  If this all works out well I'll NEVER buy a car from a dealer again.  I wasted so MUCH time locally!!!

zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    My wife thinks 4 door Jeeps are "fake Jeeps" - but unless its something you're just going to drive on Sundays and go wheeling with, the 4 doors make a lot of sense. As in Jeep should have started making them in about 1948. 2 door Jeeps are only good for one thing - and that sure ain't hauling anything. I can actually get more into my wife's Fiat Pop than I can into my Jeep! Mine is just a toy, so the 2 door is fine, but if I needed it to do double duty, it would need to be larger. I was really looking forward to driving it to the SE shoot...
    Jeep has been making 4 door HIGHLY capable off-road vehicles for MANY years.

I would give my left testicle for a cherry one of these!

And a tricked out 2000 Cherokee Sport has always been one of my bucket list cars.

Either one of those will get you ANYWHERE you need to be.

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 999 Senior Member
    People that aren't familiar with the old Jeep Grand Wagoneers have no idea how awesome of a vehicle those things are/we're. I once knew a guy that had a fairly large snow plow attached to his and it was still unstoppable in the snow. And they drove like a Cadillac on top of it.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,624 Senior Member
    We had an old Wagoneer...awesome vehicle...even had a vanity plate on it that said "FISHCAR"...it got the same mileage whether you were towing with it or not...BUT...every trip we took in that thing was just a tour of Michigan gas stations...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"