Home Main Category Clubhouse

Back to My Roots too, two

mosseybuckmosseybuck MemberPosts: 547 Senior Member
GunNuts recent post motivated me to post this. My first vehicle was a CJ-3 acquired in mid '50s. Two years ago I bought a '98 Cherokee XJ at a farm auction. It had a missing window, cracked windshield, noisy exhaust and need of thorough cleaning. No major body dings. Bid was kept reasonable due to the aforementioned defects. I put new tires/wheels on it, replaced damaged and missing glass and replaced a few minor pieces and parts. Spent two weeks cleaning hay and horse feed from interior and scrubbed interior. (found $9.00 in loose change in cracks and crevices!) Repaired exhaust system.

Just recently completed install of winch bumper that I built from a kit, and new 12K winch. Also installed 3" lift kit. The bumper was a lot of welding and grinding but turned out great! 

It has been one of the most rewarding buys I've made at auctions. As an un-measurable bonus, my wife loves it and it drives great! It so far has performed flawlessly on all of our adventures.
USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    DAMN!  That's a beauty!!!  One of my bucket list vehicles is a late 90s-2000 Cherokee.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

In the near future I'm going to need to have a conversation with you about lift kits.  With my old Rocky Mountain Edition Wrangler I kept it super simple and had a pretty basic Pro Comp 2.5" lift professionally installed in a 4WD shop in Florida that was known for doing good work.  I then tucked 32x12" BFG T/A KO tires on the NICE factory rims the RME came with and since my off roading is mostly beach and reasonable dirt roads/trails when I go hunting it was more than enough for anything I needed to do and was still a reasonable DD.

I want to do the same for the one that's coming in but I was looking at alternatives and they are OVERWHELMING!!!

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,638 Senior Member
    edited May 6 #4
    GunNuts recent post motivated me to post this. My first vehicle was a CJ-3 acquired in mid '50s. Two years ago I bought a '98 Cherokee XJ at a farm auction. It had a missing window, cracked windshield, noisy exhaust and need of thorough cleaning. No major body dings. Bid was kept reasonable due to the aforementioned defects. I put new tires/wheels on it, replaced damaged and missing glass and replaced a few minor pieces and parts. Spent two weeks cleaning hay and horse feed from interior and scrubbed interior. (found $9.00 in loose change in cracks and crevices!) Repaired exhaust system.

Just recently completed install of winch bumper that I built from a kit, and new 12K winch. Also installed 3" lift kit. The bumper was a lot of welding and grinding but turned out great! 

It has been one of the most rewarding buys I've made at auctions. As an un-measurable bonus, my wife loves it and it drives great! It so far has performed flawlessly on all of our adventures.
    My wife sold hers awhile back...hers was the 2-door Cherokee Sport...same year...same color as yours...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Very nice, Paul.  But doncha wish you still had that one you bought in the mid 50s?  Was it made by Willys?

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,613 Senior Member
    edited May 6 #6
    @GunNut - if you haven't already, join a JK forum! That's how I'm learning what works and what doesn't. There is a JK forum that is a sister to the TJ forum I'm on:
    Run by the same guy, who is tops! If the other folks there are half as good as the ones I've found on the TJ forum, you'll be in good hands...

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Thanks!  Will join tonight!

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,466 Senior Member
    I like that rig Paul, cousin had one for a daily driver for awhile. What tires did you go with? Are they good in snow and off road?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 547 Senior Member
    Hey Jerry, yes it was a Willys. One of the first models to have a tailgate and a PTO for running farm implements, and I would really love to have it today. Chiro the tires are Crosswind M/T LT 235/75R 15. They're about 29", not too radical but pull good in snow and sand. Not noisy. Zorba, I'll check out the JKforum also. Quite a lot of info on any of the Jeep forums. 
    Paul,

I knew some people who had surplus army jeeps made by Willys.  Those things were darn near indestructible and would go anywhere.  I'd absolutely love to have one.
    Jerry

Paul,

I knew some people who had surplus army jeeps made by Willys.  Those things were darn near indestructible and would go anywhere.  I'd absolutely love to have one.
    And you can tear them apart and rebuild them pretty much with a few screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers and duct tape  :D

I took her out today and got some dirt on her, nothing too crazy because I want to get the feel of her.  Of note, the road to my range is mostly dirt/sand and after rains it gets rutty, with some washed out areas and the sand gets "slimy" for lack of a better word.  Many members will not go back there (until yesterday that was me too) until a few days after a good rain and Gunny (owner) has had a chance to service the road and smooth out the ruts and such.

This morning in RAINED!!! and I was supposed to go test out a gun I fixed for an older gentleman that is becoming a dear friend.  I know he's not armed currently since he only has this one pistol so I had to get this done.  Well for the first time ever I was able to do 30 on this road, puddles, wash-out, ruts and all.  Never even needed 4WD!

Great first experience and I'm impressed with the JKs.  Way smoother ride that my old Jeeps, real stable on the highway and the 6 speed with the V6 is pretty darn zippy!  I was doing a solid 75 on the highway coming back with no issues.  With my old Jeep anything over 65 needed a tailwind and a little smile from God.

Pretty happy on day 1!

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,240 Senior Member
    Sounds good mi hermano
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,700 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I took her out today and got some dirt on her, nothing too crazy because I want to get the feel of her.  Of note, the road to my range is mostly dirt/sand and after rains it gets rutty, with some washed out areas and the sand gets "slimy" for lack of a better word.  Many members will not go back there (until yesterday that was me too) until a few days after a good rain and Gunny (owner) has had a chance to service the road and smooth out the ruts and such.

This morning in RAINED!!! and I was supposed to go test out a gun I fixed for an older gentleman that is becoming a dear friend.  I know he's not armed currently since he only has this one pistol so I had to get this done.  Well for the first time ever I was able to do 30 on this road, puddles, wash-out, ruts and all.  Never even needed 4WD!

Great first experience and I'm impressed with the JKs.  Way smoother ride that my old Jeeps, real stable on the highway and the 6 speed with the V6 is pretty darn zippy!  I was doing a solid 75 on the highway coming back with no issues.  With my old Jeep anything over 65 needed a tailwind and a little smile from God.

Pretty happy on day 1!

It still looks TOO clean 😁
    It is a jeep afterall
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:

Pretty happy on day 1!

It still looks TOO clean 😁
    It is a jeep afterall
    Working on it.

Hey Jerry, yes it was a Willys. One of the first models to have a tailgate and a PTO for running farm implements, and I would really love to have it today. Chiro the tires are Crosswind M/T LT 235/75R 15. They're about 29", not too radical but pull good in snow and sand. Not noisy. Zorba, I'll check out the JKforum also. Quite a lot of info on any of the Jeep forums. 
    They look bigger than that in the picture!  I would have assumed at least 32"s.  Which lift did you go with?  Did you get a package or did you buy it in parts yourself?  DETAILS MAN, DETAILS!!! :D 

GunNut, I really like your new ride! The lift kit was from Rough Country and went in pretty much according to instructions but still a PIA. The winch bumper kit was JCR Offroad and was fairly easy, just a lot of welding and a lot of grinding. But I like the way it turned out. For anyone thinking of doing any of these upgrades, I have one word for you, Youtube. There are videos on there for almost any project you tackle and they make it so much simpler.
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 545 Senior Member
    Good looking Jeep I'm not a big Jeep fan but have nothing against them I just never seen them as a DD but its been years and years since I've driven one mid 70's as I recall
    edited May 10 #19
    GunNut, I really like your new ride! The lift kit was from Rough Country and went in pretty much according to instructions but still a PIA. The winch bumper kit was JCR Offroad and was fairly easy, just a lot of welding and a lot of grinding. But I like the way it turned out. For anyone thinking of doing any of these upgrades, I have one word for you, Youtube. There are videos on there for almost any project you tackle and they make it so much simpler.
    What do you mean a PIA?  Sorry If I'm being to nosey.  It's one of the things on my list to do and while I don't want to spend thousands on a rock crawling outfit I would like to extend the off-road capabilities of the vehicle.  Around here not a lot of rocks, more like lots of rutted and washed out mud and sand roads and trails so basically increased clearance and mud handling capabilities is what I need while still maintaining a good DD profile so my wife won't refuse to get in the car with me.  We went for a "longish" ride yesterday and she was already making comments about the bumpy ride even though it's light years better than my old TJ.

This morning she had to run into town to get her hair done and I was asked to get my car out of her way so she could take hers, and when I suggested she take mine I got a "NOPE"...  :D

edited May 10 #20
    gunner81 said:
    Good looking Jeep I'm not a big Jeep fan but have nothing against them I just never seen them as a DD but its been years and years since I've driven one mid 70's as I recall
    Thanks!  They've come a long way since the 70's and still have managed to maintain that balance between capable off-road vehicle and relatively decent adoption of creature comforts over the years.  Still not a car I'd recommend to anyone with a long daily commute.   Jeeps are noisy, rattly, bouncy but they still manage to put a smile on some of us's face.

Jeep owners kind of "get" each other.  Got my first "waves" this weekend.  Felt good to be back. 

I've been a virtual worker for years so days go by between my car uses (WAY less than 10,000 miles a year).  When I live up north it was the perfect train station car and the local stations in CT were FULL of older Jeeps.  Reasonable prices, great in the snow, sho cares if anyone dents your door, and easy to park.  So many folks had a nice weekend car and a Wrangler DD as the "train car".

Enzo, I'm pretty sure Paul's PIA is your PITA, or Pain In The A**.
    Jerry

Enzo, I'm pretty sure Paul's PIA is your PITA, or Pain In The A**.
    Ahhhh, well there goes my street cred... 😂

Enzo, the PITA that I spoke of was mainly the coil springs in front. The rear was much easier to install, just one broken shock bolt to drill out and re-tap. Range report update, had relatives come out from Alabama this week and we took the XJ for a ride during heavy snowfall Monday. Yeah, snow again! We made an attempt to go over Blowout pass a few miles west of San Luis Valley. We did ok until we reached about 10K and two feet of snow with it still coming down pretty heavy. Had to break out the hi-lift jack to get her turned around and came back down with no other problems. All in all, it was a fun experience and my guests thoroughly enjoyed it. They don't get that kind of weather in Alabama!
    Enzo, the PITA that I spoke of was mainly the coil springs in front. The rear was much easier to install, just one broken shock bolt to drill out and re-tap. Range report update, had relatives come out from Alabama this week and we took the XJ for a ride during heavy snowfall Monday. Yeah, snow again! We made an attempt to go over Blowout pass a few miles west of San Luis Valley. We did ok until we reached about 10K and two feet of snow with it still coming down pretty heavy. Had to break out the hi-lift jack to get her turned around and came back down with no other problems. All in all, it was a fun experience and my guests thoroughly enjoyed it. They don't get that kind of weather in Alabama!
    Cool!  Thanks for the explanation!  I’m letting someone that knows a lot more about wrenching than me do the work when it comes time.  I don’t have the tools, space or experience to tackle this job myself.

Sounds like your adventure ride was a hoot!

Paul, I have one of this hi-lift jacks.  I've only used it once, but that was all the convincing I needed to keep it.  When you need one, they're worth their weight in plywood.
    Jerry

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,613 Senior Member
    The guys on the Jeep forum I'm on make fun of hi-lift jacks much like we make fun of .270s here. I don't know enough to have an opinion on the subject myself.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Those jacks can be a little difficult sometimes but they can really get you out of some tight spots. You have to be careful using them or they can hurt you.