Home Main Category Clubhouse

Carvana!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
The absolute best experience I’ve had buying a car in.....  ever!!!  

After several exhausting days dealing with dealers and super aggravating sales people...  I signed up to Carvana,  it took me less than 20 minutes from picking a car to buying a car and setting up delivery.  7 day 400 mile drive trial no questions asked return for ANY reason.  

They give you a 4 month Carvana warranty on the car to and will fix anything up to the value of the car!  All the paperwork is done and in NC you personally have to apply for your title etc. so they actually give you a temp plate/registration AND all the papers pre filled out and a FedEx envelope to send them in and it all comes back in the mail including the new plate.  

It arrived, had a quick test drive and 3 signatures on delivery and they left me on my driveway with my new toy and a smile that will take a plastic surgeon to remove.

I WILL NEVER BUY A CAR FROM A DEALER AGAIN!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Just like the commercial!

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

«1

Replies

  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    Nice! They didn't have anything I was interested in when I was looking for my Jeep (read: everything too new), but they're fantastic by all accounts. Waiting for more pix!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    I worked at a car dealer, (mechanic not a shyster salesman) and have no trust at all! I've been wondering how those on line sales work!! Glad you had a good experience!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Nice! They didn't have anything I was interested in when I was looking for my Jeep (read: everything too new), but they're fantastic by all accounts. Waiting for more pix!
    Yeah at this time they do specialize on late models and higher end because of higher profit margins for the growing company, and it safer when they are personally guaranteeing the product they deliver.  I think at some point in the future they’ll start going lower on the price points and work in older models into inventory, maybe with some adjustments in warranty on the older models?  Just my perception from what I’ve seen/read.

    In any case it’s their service models and logistics I’m in love with!  They were actually an hour early delivering my car 😁
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    I worked at a car dealer, (mechanic not a shyster salesman) and have no trust at all! I've been wondering how those on line sales work!! Glad you had a good experience!
    Beyond good, it was flawless!  When my wife’s lease on her car is up I’m going to use them instead of the dealer.  I’d like to try their trade-in side of the house.  I believe they will buy out the lease and take care of all the admin crap for us if you buy the replacement car from them. But I’m not 100% sure, more research to do, but I have time.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Nice! They didn't have anything I was interested in when I was looking for my Jeep (read: everything too new), but they're fantastic by all accounts. Waiting for more pix!
    Yeah at this time they do specialize on late models and higher end because of higher profit margins for the growing company, and it safer when they are personally guaranteeing the product they deliver.
    Which would make sense, esp. when applying a guarantee. I've had the best luck buying used cars from the used lot of a NEW car dealer, as they generally keep the good ones and pass the questionable ones on to Schmoe's used cars. I haven't had particularly good luck buying from individuals, and have ever only bought once from Schmoe - the Jeep. Its highly unlikely that I'll ever buy new again, and as time goes on, not even late model used, so its unlikely that I'll have the opportunity to try Carvana - but like you, I think their business model is tops! Maybe they'll eventually be able to sell new as well.
    My daughter may be in the market soon for a late model used - I'm going to point her at Carvana.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 547 Senior Member
    Looks like shopping around paid off. That's a good looking rig!
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Looks like shopping around paid off. That's a good looking rig!
    Thanks!  Since I always double check my steps and I have 7 days to wring it out, I took it for it's first real ride today and no issues at all.  Even managed to get a little dirt on her!  :D
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,863 Senior Member
    edited May 7 #9
    Was this purchase for a brand new vehicle or used? How do you know the price was good or not? I have been intrigued by their TV advertising, so I might try them out next time I'm shopping for a truck.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Was this purchase for a brand new vehicle or used? How do you know the price was good or not? I have been intrigued by their TV advertising, so I might try them out next time I'm shopping for a truck.
    It's a used vehicle, SLIGHTLY older than the typical vehicle on their site (they tend to sell late model used) but with significantly less miles.

    I can't justify buying a new car for my business now.  The budget will not support it yet.  I shopped locally for the whole weekend COMPLETELY wasting my time.  Also looked at all the online websites like Cars.com, Autotrader.com and others and sent out emails with inquiries about vehicles that met my parameters.  I must have looked at 100s of Ford F-150s and Jeeps in my price range and parameters.  

    They beat them all with much nicer vehicles and NO ONE gives any kind of warrantee of significance on used cars, but Carvana does.  It's about as risk free as it gets!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,899 Senior Member
    What year is it? I won't tell you what I think of them but I can tell you a few things to look for. I have had a 08,12,15 and am driving a 17. I have put somewhere over 400,000 miles on them.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited May 8 #12
    It’s a ‘12 with only 52,000 miles on it.  From the stickers that were removed from the rear window I can tell this was a “cool mommy kid carrier”. From the bottom I can tell you it’s never seen a rugged trail.  😎
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,899 Senior Member
    If it is still in your 7 day window take a flashlight and look down into the v of the engine, right around the oil filter. Look for a large plastic nut that's the oil filter. The oil coolers are prone to cracking, mine have been worse in cold weather, but age may factor in also.  
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    If it is still in your 7 day window take a flashlight and look down into the v of the engine, right around the oil filter. Look for a large plastic nut that's the oil filter. The oil coolers are prone to cracking, mine have been worse in cold weather, but age may factor in also.  
    Thanks for the tip!  Il look today.  I like that we have all these Wrangler “old hands” around! 👍
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    I just looked up a few different trucks, and Cavana is asking over MSRP on some of the Toyota Tundra models. 

    Maybe it’s just my location, but when they are selling a 2017 for more than I can order one new....  that puts them out of contention

    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I just looked up a few different trucks, and Cavana is asking over MSRP on some of the Toyota Tundra models. 

    Maybe it’s just my location, but when they are selling a 2017 for more than I can order one new....  that puts them out of contention

    Nope that's everywhere as far as I know, maybe someone in the industry can chime in.  Ok, so here's deeper into my experience buying a car 2021...

    Have you been to a dealer recently?  The used car market is going nuts with many cars going well over book value because Covid has seriously affected production of new ones in the last year so there is a car shortage.  NewTundras (I looked at new ones) are selling locally for well over MSRP, so are Jeeps, Ford F-150s and anything else desirable.  My reality here in NC at least but I hear the same from all over the country.  I'm also in one of the faster growing areas in the USA and arguably the fastest growing city in the East coast.  All these new folks want new cars.

    Dealer salespeople have no incentive to work at all.  I went to a Jeep dealership that has new and used inventory and when I asked a sales person to show me some cars This chick (looked like a covid lay-off from the nearby gentlemen's club") LITERALLY said, "Just walk around the lot and scan the code on the sticker on anything you like and that's the price.  Let me know if you find anything you want and pray someone else is not already doing paperwork on it.".  And she just walked away from me...  

    A new Rubicon with an MSRP of $66,000 scanned at $75,000 when I pointed my iPhone at the QR code, no bargaining.  A 2006 Wrangler 2 door with over 100,000 was over $17,000.  Found a nice 2013 JKU scanned the price and it seemed reasonable, went and got the chick to see if I could test drive, nope someone is already doing paperwork on it.  The area where they keep the new car inventory looked like an office building parking lot on a Sunday.

    At the used Ford Car lot the manager was playing with his putter (golf) in his office and the sale guy didn't even offer me a glass of water.  Pointed a couple of trucks in the lot and said if you want to drive anything just let me know.  A well kept 2010 F-150 with well over 100,000k on it was $18,000, I asked what they could do on it and the guy said, "That's the price.  We might knock off $200 off it if you take it right now because we're about to close."  I left.

    The first Jeep I found (high mileage) that I was interested in (the one I posted here) and the salesguy literally said to me, "I'd love to sell you the car but I'm leaving because I have a "thing" with my kids."  I asked if anyone else could help me and he said "No we're closing in a few minutes.".   I still told the guy I wanted it but I needed a further mechanic check on it (no warrantee at all, AS IS) and I called on Monday at 9:00am to see if I could get some numbers etc on the car and have it checked by MY mechanic, and by 1:00PM the sale guy is still busy with other clients.  That's when I went to Carvana.

    Buyers are paying premiums just to get a new car and the dealers have no inventory.  Have you seen any Automobile Sales advertisement lately?  This too shall pass, but this is what we have today.  One of the reasons I bought a Jeep is that I KNOW I can always get my money back on it.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,529 Senior Member
    You need to track down the owners of those dealerships and let them
    know how you were treated. 

    I can guarantee you that you would not have been treated that way at the dealership my wife works for. 

    They are open until the last customer leaves the property. 
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,529 Senior Member
    The computer chip problem is beginning to seriously affect car mfgs. Ford is assembling trucks minus the chip then storing them in parking lots until they get chips. 

    Dealers won’t transfer a car to another dealer unless the other dealer can replace it with a similar model. 

    I’ve heard that at least one U.S. chip mfg has dedicated all of their production to computers and cell phones. Won’t make any chips for autos. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    A 2006 Wrangler 2 door with over 100,000 was over $17,000...
    I hope it was at least a Rubicon, some variant of an LJ, or even a Sahara-Rubicon for that kind of money! I paid $9995 for my '06 "regular" Jeep in April of last year.

    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,884 Senior Member
    I've seen a ton of cars locally with the tell-tale "Carvana" license plate frame. My curiosity is peaked, especially because of the no-haggle bit.

    If my Tacoma ever decides to abandon me, maybe I'll go that way.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,402 Senior Member
    Not all dealers are acting stupid. I bought a new F150 this year for roughly $5k off MSRP in N Georgia. 
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,467 Senior Member
    fwiw,

    my local credit union offered a "car finder' for the customers.

    you more or less gave them 

    make, model, year, color, options...and price.  Of course you cant expect a car for free but a reasonable number if you did your homework.

    and they did their best.  Also would have a car shipped from across state lines if they found one.

    and you could choose to have it delivered or pickup.  

    my dad had his delivered to a dealership.   They cleaned it and he just arrived and introduced himself and they handed him the keys.  nothing and no pushing to buy this or that.

    he really liked it since he hate pushy people too.

    i bought my 1st new car a subi at our local dealership.  Since im an older male, im not sure that made a difference, but i knew what i wanted for the most part.  The only thing i was ??? was the "eye sight".  the salesman was also the "tech" guy but he told me he bought an outback with the "eyesight" and drove it with family to Ca.  He loved it especially in the stop/n/go traffic.   The car we test drove had it and i used it a bit, but i put off buying and rented a car.  Spent 1 year waiting and researching since the eyesight was sort of new.  Then rented a car for 1 week to test drive and test it.  Ended up going back and buying.  They wanted to know if i wanted to test drive - again - but nope.  Already rented one to try.

    no pushy on anything, but they asked about extended warranties.  I asked if they started "now" or after the OEM ended, but it was concurrent.  Also asked if i could buy after OEM warranty was over and it was yes. Still havent bought it, but i get emails and letters.  Also get emails for me to sell my used and trade in/up.  they want used subis so they are really asking for them but not paying much.

    but my 1st time there was nice.  I had read some reviews of both good and bad, but i think you can have the same at any lot.  

    if you do your homework you may avoid that stuff, but as a good friend stated about buying used/new cars and if you dont like the way things are going..."just walk away".


    The ears never lie.

    - Don Burt
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,210 Senior Member
    edited May 9 #23
    All of the manufacturers are suffering from the lack of computer chips. Some ford plants are working a month, then closed a month.
    And the dealerships around here look like ghost towns

    MBUSI isn't building any more than they can get chips for. They probably learned THAT lesson when they couldn't get some part a few years ago, but it was easily installed later, so they parked a BUNCH of vehicles from the Alabama plant awaiting the missing "widget".

    They ended up having to scrap a BUNCH of those cars. Mice moving in and chewing up interiors and wiring. Fire ants building nests in ductwork, or between inner and outer panels, ect

    They had built so many, they were renting fields and pastures to park them in, didn't work out quite the way they planned and some of the higher-ups got reassigned back to Germany, IIRC
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    ...and some of the higher-ups got reassigned back to Germany, IIRC
    Probably to Stalag 13 and 30 days in the cooler. Cars shouldn't have chips in them anyway... ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,404 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    knitepoet said:
    ...and some of the higher-ups got reassigned back to Germany, IIRC
    Probably to Stalag 13 and 30 days in the cooler. Cars shouldn't have chips in them anyway... ;)
    Unless they are Conn's Salt & Vinegar.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    I do like salt and vinegar on my "chips" mate.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    You need to track down the owners of those dealerships and let them
    know how you were treated. 

    I can guarantee you that you would not have been treated that way at the dealership my wife works for. 

    They are open until the last customer leaves the property. 
    I would if I thought it'd make a difference.  All the dealerships around here have attitude issues.  The last one that was nice was the old Mazda where I used to buy my cars and they were sold to a larger conglomerate and their reviews since they changed ownership are now in the toilet.

    I think the dealership model is nearing it's end-of-life stage and in time all manufacturers will probably be selling direct through a Carvana type model with only local service centers for maintenance and repairs.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    A 2006 Wrangler 2 door with over 100,000 was over $17,000...
    I hope it was at least a Rubicon, some variant of an LJ, or even a Sahara-Rubicon for that kind of money! I paid $9995 for my '06 "regular" Jeep in April of last year.

    Nope, it was a regular Wrangler in very nice condition with some aftermarket upgrades (tires, rims, bumpers) but nothing that I felt I had to rip a check out for.  It's spring, the weather is nice, we are a seashore community, there's a car shortage, and everyone wants a Jeep.  But even before the covid/shortage I was shocked by the price I got for my last Jeep as a trade in.  Basically Blue Book, full retail value.  That's why I'm such a big fan.

    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Not all dealers are acting stupid. I bought a new F150 this year for roughly $5k off MSRP in N Georgia. 
    Like anything on earth, there are exceptions to every trend.  Good for you for finding that jewel.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    ilove22s said:
    fwiw,

    my local credit union offered a "car finder' for the customers.

    you more or less gave them 

    make, model, year, color, options...and price.  Of course you cant expect a car for free but a reasonable number if you did your homework.

    and they did their best.  Also would have a car shipped from across state lines if they found one.

    and you could choose to have it delivered or pickup.  

    my dad had his delivered to a dealership.   They cleaned it and he just arrived and introduced himself and they handed him the keys.  nothing and no pushing to buy this or that.

    he really liked it since he hate pushy people too.

    i bought my 1st new car a subi at our local dealership.  Since im an older male, im not sure that made a difference, but i knew what i wanted for the most part.  The only thing i was ??? was the "eye sight".  the salesman was also the "tech" guy but he told me he bought an outback with the "eyesight" and drove it with family to Ca.  He loved it especially in the stop/n/go traffic.   The car we test drove had it and i used it a bit, but i put off buying and rented a car.  Spent 1 year waiting and researching since the eyesight was sort of new.  Then rented a car for 1 week to test drive and test it.  Ended up going back and buying.  They wanted to know if i wanted to test drive - again - but nope.  Already rented one to try.

    no pushy on anything, but they asked about extended warranties.  I asked if they started "now" or after the OEM ended, but it was concurrent.  Also asked if i could buy after OEM warranty was over and it was yes. Still havent bought it, but i get emails and letters.  Also get emails for me to sell my used and trade in/up.  they want used subis so they are really asking for them but not paying much.

    but my 1st time there was nice.  I had read some reviews of both good and bad, but i think you can have the same at any lot.  

    if you do your homework you may avoid that stuff, but as a good friend stated about buying used/new cars and if you dont like the way things are going..."just walk away".


    Costco has that gig going on too.  It's an avenue I have not tried.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    All of the manufacturers are suffering from the lack of computer chips. Some ford plants are working a month, then closed a month.
    And the dealerships around here look like ghost towns

    MBUSI isn't building any more than they can get chips for. They probably learned THAT lesson when they couldn't get some part a few years ago, but it was easily installed later, so they parked a BUNCH of vehicles from the Alabama plant awaiting the missing "widget".

    They ended up having to scrap a BUNCH of those cars. Mice moving in and chewing up interiors and wiring. Fire ants building nests in ductwork, or between inner and outer panels, ect

    They had built so many, they were renting fields and pastures to park them in, didn't work out quite the way they planned and some of the higher-ups got reassigned back to Germany, IIRC
    Din't know about the chip issue.  I've been out of that game in over a year.  Should call some of my GM old friends and catch up.  Thanks for the reminder!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement