Home Main Category General Firearms

A bluing PSA.

JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,463 Senior Member
For anyone that may ever be interested in having your gun blued but don't want to pay the price for a professional hot blue job but also doesn't want to half ass with cold blue, I've found a very good solution. The only reason that I use this finish is for older firearms that have a high nickel content and won't blue, or the Winchesters that used plated steel and were then blued (plating wears off and receivers won't blue). This is a product made by Duracoat called Durablue. It's a two part, bake on finish much like cerakote but it doesn't smell like a urinal cake, like the cerakote does. It's fairly easy to spray on, lays on like glass and is nearly impervious once baked. It also replicates bluing very well. Here's a Winchester 94 receiver and finished gun. Also, if you send your Winchester in to have it reblued, that's what they use also.
We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,356 Senior Member
    Wow...that's really nice!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,463 Senior Member
    Thank you!
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I’ve read about that, never seen done professionally m.  Damn that looks good!!!!!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 12,747 Senior Member
    Well if I get one of the old guns redone, I know where I'm sending it
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Elk creekElk creek Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    Holy sheep dip that looks good!! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Gene LGene L Posts: 12,815 Senior Member
    Looks great.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • zorbazorba Posts: 25,279 Senior Member
    WOW!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Posts: 8,811 Senior Member
    That looks really nice!! I know some places would re-plate the post '64 receivers or blue them with I believe Oxynate 84 for stainless and cast. That sure looks like a better method!!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Beauty!

Certain year 94' recievers are made of sintered metal. I can't remember what ones. They're perfectly good and I know of no ill effects ever recorded. Might be those are the ones won't take the bluing? I don't know. The one you did looks better than new, and then some.
    Does I does it add any significant thickness to the part?  Any trouble refitting parts with tight tolerances?
    Big Al1 said:
    That looks really nice!! I know some places would re-plate the post '64 receivers or blue them with I believe Oxynate 84 for stainless and cast. That sure looks like a better method!!
    I've not had any luck with the oxynate 84 and just ended up using it as a traditional bluing salt. Apparently there's some tricks to getting good results with it but it's beyond me. I'm set up to do nickel and other platings but it's difficult to justify the added cost on a traditional caustic bluing job so that's why I've gone this route. Everyone's been pleased so far! Also as a side note: If any of.you have sprayed the H series cerakotes, you'll know what I mean when I say that the stuff smells like a literal urinal cake in a Burger King bathroom 😆
    I typically prefer Duracoat anyways.
    GunNut said:
    Does I does it add any significant thickness to the part?  Any trouble refitting parts with tight tolerances?
    Supposedly it only adds about a thousandth when you spray it correctly. I'm always sure to keep it off of bearing surfaces and out of threads when I can. If I can't, I normally just run a tap through the screw holes before reassembly. 
  • sakodudesakodude Posts: 4,881 Senior Member
    That turned out real nice.
    GunNut said:
    Supposedly it only adds about a thousandth when you spray it correctly. I'm always sure to keep it off of bearing surfaces and out of threads when I can. If I can't, I normally just run a tap through the screw holes before reassembly. 
    👍👍
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Posts: 6,112 Senior Member
    Looks great, and probably significantly lower labor costs and risk (polishing too much). I dig it!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Posts: 4,997 Senior Member
    Dang that looks good!