Home Main Category Hunting

Crop raiders....................

BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member

Some times things just go right and this afternoon was one of those days. This is the time of year the farmer on the west side of town has his oats starting to shoot and that brings in the raiders.

My hunting buddy had bumped into the owner’s wife recently in town and in the conversation he learned that they were getting roos and wallabies coming in and chowing down on their up coming crop. Naturally, he offered our help to try and dissuade them from doing so. Today, was the first time this year we’ve been over there and as luck had it I managed to nail one right off. Actually, he was the only one in the fields, a big buck roo. We both reckoned the shot was about 150 yds. and although a chest shot he managed to hop 50 yds. before expiring. I was using a .257 Roberts with a handload using a 75 gr V-max bullet.

That is the simple story now here are a few more details; (1) it was very windy and quite cold. (2) I had to wait until the wind ceased momentarily before taking the shot because there was a tree between us at my car and the roo. I was waiting for the wind to blow the leaves of the eucalyptus tree aside so I could get a clear shot. (3) The wind factor was strong enough that I had to allow for the wind drift effect on the bullet as it cleaved the air on it’s way to the target.

Well, It all came off easily and we were through quite fast. All we had to do was walk on over and butcher the critter. He was quite a big fellow  and produced a lot of meat for my mate’s dog and for my cat ‘Killer.’ After dragging the remains from the field and into some adjacent tall grass we left and arrived home before dark.

Bazzaloo

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Nice story.  Australia has always fascinated me.  It's good to hear from someone like you who lives there.

Thanks for posting this.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    Great story, thanks for sharing.  If you get a chance. A few pics of your area would be great
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member
    Hey! Diver43  I'd like to but I don't understand how to attach them. Can you explain how to for me?

Bazzaloo
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    edited May 19 #5
    Bazzaloo said:
    Hey! Diver43  I'd like to but I don't understand how to attach them. Can you explain how to for me?

Bazzaloo
    Bazzaloo, there's a topic in the clubhouse dedicated solely to explain how to post pictures.

https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/3575/posting-pictures/p1
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Here's a picture of the last one I nailed.................Bazzaloo
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    Interesting, dont see anything like that over on this side of the pond
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver 43 shooting roos is easy, hunting a buck no so easy. It tool me 3 years while living in Ca. before I got a buck.
    It wasn't until I read Francis Sell's book 'The Art of Successful Deer Hunting' that I finally saw why I was getting skunked. The first season following reading that book that I got two.

I only shoot roos if they are a nuisance otherwise I leave 'em alone, there's no challenge in it like hunting a mature male deer ...............Bazzaloo
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,189 Senior Member
    edited May 21 #9
    Nice story.  Australia has always fascinated me.  It's good to hear from someone like you who lives there.

Thanks for posting this.
    It would possibly fascinate me JerryBobCo if I lived as far away from it as you.
    But.................
    To Quote Mick
    Ya can't always get what you want.
     >:) 

The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.