Home Main Category Hunting

Spring buck season for the roe deer opened up today

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 333 Member
I was very lucky to get a young buck on a first day. 
To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,780 Senior Member
    That suppressor is HUGE!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    Congrats!  But we need Details!  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,746 Senior Member
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 333 Member
    Zee said:
    That suppressor is HUGE!
    Wide angle lens lies a bit in the sides of the frame

-William Blake-
    Zee said:
    That suppressor is HUGE!

Ehhhh, that still looks pretty big for a .30cal suppressor. What’s the length and diameter?
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,868 Senior Member
    congratulations!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zee said:
    Zee said:
    That suppressor is HUGE!

Ehhhh, that still looks pretty big for a .30cal suppressor. What’s the length and diameter?
    For some reason Stalon’s own web pages are down but here’s some information of the model I use

https://www.akah.eu/silencer/stalon-xe108-max-kal-30-m15x1-16127004
    -William Blake-
    Roughly 2”x10.6”

Thats a big .30cal can!  That’s like .338 size!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,449 Senior Member
    Very nice, an extended deer season, you are looking pretty green where you are at, about the same as we are now, kids cut the grass once and all of the fruit trees are flowering, smells great in the neighborhood!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    Congratulations.  Thanks for sharing
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Zee said:
    Roughly 2”x10.6”

Zee said:
    Roughly 2”x10.6”

I wanted my rifle to be as quiet as possible yet still manageable in driven hunts. 
    I shoot in my home yard with it and there are some summer cottages in the area so I don’t wish to make too much hazzle with my shooting. And my ears are shot from 40 years of shooting so every decibel counts.
    My father has a considerable smaller suppressor in his 308 

-William Blake-
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,449 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Roughly 2”x10.6”

Zee said:
    Roughly 2”x10.6”

I wanted my rifle to be as quiet as possible yet still manageable in driven hunts. 
    I shoot in my home yard with it and there are some summer cottages in the area so I don’t wish to make too much hazzle with my shooting. And my ears are shot from 40 years of shooting so every decibel counts.

So what is the story on this rifle and scope combo? Range report on the ammo too please.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:
    Roughly 2”x10.6”

Zee said:
    Roughly 2”x10.6”

So what is the story on this rifle and scope combo? Range report on the ammo too please.
    It’s a Tikka T3 Hunter my father bought in the first year of T3 production. Chambered in 308 Win. Around 25 moose under it’s belt and dozens of deer. Supressor is Aimzonic Triton from Sweden (just like my Stalon XE)
    scope is Zeiss’ 3-12x50 with red dot.

in the picture my father is trying out his brand new suppressor. Had to get one as his neck is busted after over 40 years as a welder in the shipyard. Takes out the recoil (and muzzle flash while hunting in the dark)

In the picture are three shots I shot to verify the zeroing. Ammo used was Sako Powerhead (Sako loads them with 168gr ttsx) Pretty good after about 
    6000 rounds with the original barrel, eh?

-William Blake-
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    Its always pleasing to score on the first hunt of the season. Congratulations.

I just looked up that suppressor.and calculated the exchange rate to NZ dollars.......$650.00 !!! ( or $467 usd) Over here a similar NZ made suppressor costs $350nz (  209 Euros or $467usd)

Just wondering if you need a permit to buy one where you are or can you buy it over the counter.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Report is pretty short with this hunt.
    I ripped my rotator cuff in January and has been on sick leave ever since. A few weeks ago I purchased couple of boxes Hornady’s Superformance ammo with 150grain GMX’s in hope of a ’lil bit lighter recoil than the usual 180 grain ttsx’s I’ve been using for a few years in all my hunting.
    My shoulder has been very bad and painfull and couple of weeks ago my Orthopedists suggested another MRI scan to check out why it hasn’t healed as it was operated 4th of Feb and everything went ok.
    It turned out that there’s exessive amounts of fluid all around my shoulder joint and nearby muscles. He gave me a shot of cortisone and said that it should help pretty quickly. Fast forward one week to yesterday and my hand moves again so I can lift it into shooting position if I use shooting stick.

I have trail cam on our driveway and last wednesday there was a vieeo of a new young buck who was limping badly. I desided to try to harvest that particular buck out of three others that visit here almost every day.
    yesterday I picked a spot near the trail they use and after just ten minutes I saw a silhouette through a heavy a bed of reeds. When it moved I saw that it limped. I wouldn’t even shoot at it unless it hadn’t been that limping buck. I took a guestimate aim for his shoulder area and bit my teeth in fear of recoil to my shoulder. Mauser barked and I heard the bullet hit. I was alive! I still had my arm!
    went to check out that 77 yards and there he was. Bullet had hit way too far back. Broked the spine and ruined the backstraps. I couldn’t care less as long as the sufferings were over for this poor roe.
    Perhaps reeds had steered the bullet off a bit or I just imagined wrong place through a 20-25 yards thick reed wall.

Anyway, I was a happy camper and now I know that at least I can shoot from support with those loads if my shoulder is still in bad shape when white tail season starts in Sept. Driven hunts might be a different story but time will tell.

-William Blake-
    orchidman said:
    Its always pleasing to score on the first hunt of the season. Congratulations.

I just looked up that suppressor.and calculated the exchange rate to NZ dollars.......$650.00 !!! ( or $467 usd) Over here a similar NZ made suppressor costs $350nz (  209 Euros or $467usd)

Just wondering if you need a permit to buy one where you are or can you buy it over the counter.

I paid 330€ for my suppressor. It’s on the expensive side of the scale. Nice quality and built from aluminum, stainless steel and magnesium
    We can buy them over the counter with the gun permit you need to buy and own a gun.

-William Blake-
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    Report is pretty short with this hunt.
    I ripped my rotator cuff in January and has been on sick leave ever since. A few weeks ago I purchased couple of boxes Hornady’s Superformance ammo with 150grain GMX’s in hope of a ’lil bit lighter recoil than the usual 180 grain ttsx’s I’ve been using for a few years in all my hunting.
    My shoulder has been very bad and painfull and couple of weeks ago my Orthopedists suggested another MRI scan to check out why it hasn’t healed as it was operated 4th of Feb and everything went ok.
    It turned out that there’s exessive amounts of fluid all around my shoulder joint and nearby muscles. He gave me a shot of cortisone and said that it should help pretty quickly. Fast forward one week to yesterday and my hand moves again so I can lift it into shooting position if I use shooting stick.

I have trail cam on our driveway and last wednesday there was a vieeo of a new young buck who was limping badly. I desided to try to harvest that particular buck out of three others that visit here almost every day.
    yesterday I picked a spot near the trail they use and after just ten minutes I saw a silhouette through a heavy a bed of reeds. When it moved I saw that it limped. I wouldn’t even shoot at it unless it hadn’t been that limping buck. I took a guestimate aim for his shoulder area and bit my teeth in fear of recoil to my shoulder. Mauser barked and I heard the bullet hit. I was alive! I still had my arm!
    went to check out that 77 yards and there he was. Bullet had hit way too far back. Broked the spine and ruined the backstraps. I couldn’t care less as long as the sufferings were over for this poor roe.
    Perhaps reeds had steered the bullet off a bit or I just imagined wrong place through a 20-25 yards thick reed wall.

Anyway, I was a happy camper and now I know that at least I can shoot from support with those loads if my shoulder is still in bad shape when white tail season starts in Sept. Driven hunts might be a different story but time will tell.

Great report!  That is pretty hardcore going hunting with the shoulder injury.

Good for you taking care of that animal.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:
    Roughly 2”x10.6”

Zee said:
    Roughly 2”x10.6”

It’s a Tikka T3 Hunter my father bought in the first year of T3 production. Chambered in 308 Win. Around 25 moose under it’s belt and dozens of deer. Supressor is Aimzonic Triton from Sweden (just like my Stalon XE)
    scope is Zeiss’ 3-12x50 with red dot.

in the picture my father is trying out his brand new suppressor. Had to get one as his neck is busted after over 40 years as a welder in the shipyard. Takes out the recoil (and muzzle flash while hunting in the dark)

In the picture are three shots I shot to verify the zeroing. Ammo used was Sako Powerhead (Sako loads them with 168gr ttsx) Pretty good after about 6000 rounds the original barrel has seen, eh?

-William Blake-