Home Main Category Hunting

I Scalped a rabbit.................

BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member

One day recently while out hunting I scalped a rabbit. It was the first time I'd ever done it in my life and it wasn’t because I have any Red Indian blood in my ancestry or anything like that. It was purely by accident.

There is an old saying that goes like this; "If you shoot often enough at game strange things will happen". Well, that day, one happened to me, or more correctly to the poor rabbit and here is how it went down:-

We've had quite a bit of rain this last year and coupled with that it was summer down here in the land of OZ. Nature had already brought forth a beautiful thin film of green across the previously brown, bare paddocks & fields. It was a welcome sight after looking at everything burned and blackened by the summer sun for months. Indeed it was like a miracle, the change was that pronounced.

My hunting buddy Athol was able to come with me that day and we were commenting on all the green we were seeing as we drove over to the property. I picked him up just before 6.30 pm. as I knew the sun would set at 8.05 pm, that would give us over an hour in the field and for me to sit over some rock pools the pigeons come to drink from.

It occurred to me that the rabbits would be out in force chowing down on all the fresh green shoots, after all during the drought they've had to scratch down to get at the grass roots for nutrition. Sure enough, we saw several that were out and about as we drove through the gate.

Once past the house yard gate I pulled out my Savage combo loading it up and placed it on the dashboard. Although the main purpose for our trip that day was to shoot some wild pigeons for the table we were not adverse to popping a couple of rabbits if they presented us with a shot. And that's when it happened....the scalping I mean.

As luck would have it, one bunny held when I stopped the car. I had stopped because I'd seen another one running further over that I hoped would stop when Athol spotted one holding tight at the base of a wattle scrub tree only 30 yds. away. Naturally, I chose the closer target and wonder of wonders it stayed right where it was.

I placed the crosshairs on its head and touched off. I really got my moneys worth from that bullet because you never saw a rabbit do so many flips, flops while thrashing around like this one was doing. I commented to Athol that it should be a head shot but it's behavior didn't look that way.

The bullet had in fact creased it's scalp. It was not a simple crease like a line, it took a big patch of skin off of the top of its head right between the ears of about 1 1/2" round. That’s the first time I've ever seen that in my whole hunting career.

The bullet I used was a .22 mag. Hornaday 30 gr. ballistic tip which steps out at 2250 F.P.S. and while it ripped off a chunk of scalp it did not appear to have cracked the skull at all.

And that my friends is my story and I'm sticking to it.................Ha,ha!

Bazzaloo

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,957 Senior Member
    I scalped a flying wood duck once with a shotgun using steel #2 shot with a shot that was too close.
    Stripped off everything down to bare bone. Bird was knocked silly and had to be dispatched.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,499 Senior Member
    At least it wasn't a bald headed bear. I hear they can be mean.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member
    NN, Yes it doesn't happen often but as I said; if you shoot enough strange things happen. I creased a ground squirrel's head once in Ca. using a .22 mag. and although it cracked his  skull it didn't scalp him. However, I got the best display of flipping and flopping you ever saw as a result. I commented to my buddy that I got my money's worth from that bullet.

Bazzaloo.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    Bazzaloo said:
    NN, Yes it doesn't happen often but as I said; if you shoot enough strange things happen. I creased a ground squirrel's head once in Ca. using a .22 mag. and although it cracked his  skull it didn't scalp him. However, I got the best display of flipping and flopping you ever saw as a result. I commented to my buddy that I got my money's worth from that bullet.

Bazzaloo.
    So watching an animal suffer is "getting you money's worth" We apparently have different ideas about what a bullets value is.
    I don't shoot to make an animal suffer but not every shot strikes exactly where you want.
    With that said Sakodude , the squirrel was dead, there was no suffering it was just it's scrambled circuit board that was causing the wild gyrations. But if you are a hunter then
    you already know this so your comment is totally non sequitur.

Bazzaloo.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    The squirrel may have died, it was not dead. Quite other worldly for you to know it did not suffer, I suspect otherwise. The fact that you were amused by it's death antics is what I find distasteful.
    I  can't help how you think or how you "suspect" old sport but I'm convince it was dead and that its scrambled circuits from the shot were making the muscles spasm and I don't want to hear any more of you suspected suffering thoughts because you cannot KNOW that it was suffering so save you make guilty comments for someone else.

Bazzalloo.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member
    Bazzaloo said:
    I  can't help how you think or how you "suspect" old sport but I'm convince it was dead and that its scrambled circuits from the shot were making the muscles spasm and I don't want to hear any more of you suspected suffering thoughts because you cannot KNOW that it was suffering so save you make guilty comments for someone else.

Bazzalloo.
    It's in the way you described it. You seemed to take pleasure in an animal thrashing around while dying. Not that you intentionally meant to do it, but that will never go well here. 
    You've make a good point there Michakav.  I didn't get pleasure from the dying animal but I was amazed at the reaction to the bullet creasing the cranium.

Bazzaloo.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #11
    Bazzaloo said:
    You've make a good point there Michakav.  I didn't get pleasure from the dying animal but I was amazed at the reaction to the bullet creasing the cranium.

Bazzaloo.
    Trust me, there are some really nice "autopsy" reports that happen here with pictures. I think you were misunderstood by the way you presented it. It's hard to express through typing on the internet. Lot's of things get misconstrued. 
    Yes Michakav and some times purposefully misconstrued........................Bazzaloo.
  • olivia44olivia44 Posts: 3 New Member
    I had scalped a duck ones with a shotgun.