Home Main Category General Firearms

Springfield Mil Spec

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
She ain’t pretty but she is mine.  I strongly considered getting a Rock Island Pistol but was unable to source locally.  

• Three dot sights aren’t exactly mil spec but should make her easier to shoot,
  • Trigger has a lot of creep, but breaks nicely.  Definitely not a hair trigger.
  • Recoil Spring is very stiff.  Don’t buy this if you are arthritic.
I realize the model is a price point pistol, but 1 magazine?  It’s not like they are $50 per unit wholesale. 

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    She ain’t pretty but she is mine.  I strongly considered getting a Rock Island Pistol but was unable to source locally.  

• Trigger has a lot of creep, but breaks nicely.  Definitely not a hair trigger.
    • Recoil Spring is very stiff.  Don’t buy this if you are arthritic.
    I realize the model is a price point pistol, but 1 magazine?  It’s not like they are $50 per unit wholesale. 

Nice pistols! Great score. Those are shooters. The Ronin I bought came with one magazine too.... Colt back in the teens and twenty’s shipped the 1911’s with one magazine. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:

Nice pistols! Great score. Those are shooters. The Ronin I bought came with one magazine too.... Colt back in the teens and twenty’s shipped the 1911’s with one magazine. 
    Those Ronin are a great value and literally have everything I would want in a 1911.  I originally had them set aside one for me, but the only version they had was the 4.25 version in 9mm.  Since I have 9mm ammo and dies, it was very tempting.  But, I wanted a 45 and I wanted a full size pistol.  If they had the Ronin in a full size model in stock (either caliber), I would have taken it home.  

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Excellent guns!  Good score!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I even like the plain pannels.
    Everything you need.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Posts: 12,419 Senior Member
    Nice!  Congrats!!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 12,747 Senior Member
    Nice pick up
    I have picked up a few guns that only came with one magazine.  
    The trigger may smooth out a bit with dry fire and shooting. But will probably take a little work.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • sakodudesakodude Posts: 4,881 Senior Member
    Nice addition. My dad had the same model and I fired it a few time without issue.
  • snake284snake284 Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited May 2021 #9
    I have a Springfield SS 1911. It was not cheap but it came with only one magazine. I have since bought a Wilson Combat 8 round mag and may buy me a 10 round some day. I only have this one 1911 because I'm not a big hand gun enthusiast. But after I bought it and shot it back in 2005 I ask myself what took me so long to join the 1911 Club?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • SpkSpk Posts: 4,832 Senior Member
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that pistola sure is pretty to me. It screams history. 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Posts: 25,279 Senior Member
    I like it too - nothing wrong with a super custom high end 1911 - but this one gets back to the basics.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Gene LGene L Posts: 12,815 Senior Member
    Hickock45 did a comparison with a $3000 1911 and a $500 RIA.  He was very complimentary of the cheaper 1911.  I agree.  I've got a Colt and a RIA 1911 and even there, I don't see $400 difference.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • MichakavMichakav Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    Wondering what you paid? Ordered a RIA FS Tactical for $529 from Classic about 2 hours ago. Have been looking for a while and it showed up in my email.
  • BigslugBigslug Posts: 9,858 Senior Member
    edited May 2021 #14

Neither are the slanted slide serrations, lack of lanyard ring, and narrow .38 Super firing pin, but one does what one must. ;)

Cure for trigger creep on that gun is just to shoot the beejeezus out of it.  Rough finished trigger bow in a Parkerized frame, most likely.  Bet ya it's still lighter that a real GI.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SpkSpk Posts: 4,832 Senior Member
    Shooting the crap out of it will also help to loosen up the gun and make it easier to rack. Not to mention all the range fun, I mean work, it's always work! 😂
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Michakav said:
    Wondering what you paid? Ordered a RIA FS Tactical for $529 from Classic about 2 hours ago. Have been looking for a while and it showed up in my email.
     The Springfield was $640. 
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Posts: 14,103 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

Neither are the slanted slide serrations, lack of lanyard ring, and narrow .38 Super firing pin, but one does what one must. ;)

Cure for trigger creep on that gun is just to shoot the beejeezus out of it.  Rough finished trigger bow in a Parkerized frame, most likely.  Bet ya it's still lighter that a real GI.
    Mil-Specs also have a lowered and flared ejection port, non-dimpled recoil spring plug, and the "speed safety" was rejected by the military as they feared it would make the 1911A1 TOO easy to get ready to fire.  Point being, if you're picking at nits, there can be a lot to pick.

OTOH, a Mil-Spec with a beavertail or even a rat-tail safety is a great, bare-bones, functional 1911A1.
    Meh.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

Yep, that!