Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

FFL logs a defacto registry?

JaphyJaphy Posts: 163 Member
Are FFL logs, electronic or paper a default registration?
under what circumstances may the data in the logs be provided to federal agencies other than BATF?

Replies

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,084 Senior Member
    All I know is that if I ever close up shop I'm required to send them to the alphabet people in Virginia. The ONLY reason outside of registration that I can see for having to enter all guns that stay overnight is incase they were stolen. And they sure do try hard to hem you up if you accidentally mess up.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,814 Senior Member
    Watch Red Dawn for your answer.

'Nuff said.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,434 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

'Nuff said.
    The original 1984 version preferably
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,037 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Bigslug said:

'Nuff said.
    The original 1984 version preferably
    Yes! The new one sucks! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,434 Senior Member
    I couldn't stomach much of the 2012 version. 
    Saw the '84 version in the theater and was ready to take on the world when I walked out afterwards
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    Japhy said:
    under what circumstances may the data in the logs be provided to federal agencies other than BATF?

Yes and no, depending on the perspective.   Under lock and key with your local dealer, it's just basically a list of inventory logs,, sales receipts and addresses.  It exerts no government authority over you in that capacity. 

Next, it's not updated owner to owner.  It's point of sale, full stop.  

But, like has been said I would have to turn them in if I closed up shop.  What do they do after they get them? No idea.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 1,282 Senior Member
    JasonMPD said:
    Japhy said:

Yes and no, depending on the perspective.   Under lock and key with your local dealer, it's just basically a list of inventory logs,, sales receipts and addresses.  It exerts no government authority over you in that capacity. 

But, like has been said I would have to turn them in if I closed up shop.  What do they do after they get them? No idea.
    They sit in big boxes in the same warehouse with Dr. Indiana Jones’ greatest discovery 😁
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    JasonMPD said:
    Japhy said:

They sit in big boxes in the same warehouse with Dr. Indiana Jones’ greatest discovery 😁
    With "Top Men." 
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    JasonMPD said:
    Japhy said:

With "Top Men." 
    They strike me more as "bottom" men...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD said:
    JasonMPD said:
    Japhy said:

With "Top Men." 
    They strike me more as "bottom" men...
    I too dislike the alphabet people 😆