Home Main Category Hunting

An accurate .280 Remington...........

BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member

During the lambing season here in Australia the farmers become inundated with crows and foxes. Consequently, I get a call each year to remind me to come out and discourage both. The foxes quickly learn to depredate after dark but day light is when the crows are active.

Crows, being one of the smartest of the bird family soon learn to keep their distance. However, now and then one misjudges the safe distance to keep and comes into range. I use a variety of cartridges on them like a .22 magnum for the dumber ones all the way up to my .308 but in this story I used my .280 Remington RCBS Imp. loaded with a 175 gr. round noise bullet.

The only reason I was using it was because it is so damned accurate and I hadn’t shot anything with it and I was chafing at the bit to do so. I had set up on some junk among a bunch of old farming equipment and other abandoned vehicles that the farmer simply parked along the end of the huge field the ewes and lambs were in. I had my “Shooters” bag set up on that piece of that junk, rifle resting on it ready while I sat back in my car waiting for an opportunity.

It wasn’t long before one landed at around 125 yds. and out of the car I slipped ready to take a shot.

I gotta tell you that 175 gr. R.N bullet nailed that crow nearly tearing it in two.

Bazzaloo.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,852 Senior Member
    Someone I know once requested grouse feathers. Circumstances had a scoped 30-06 rifle in my hands as my only gun. Time prohibited other more reasonable options of take.

A wing was all I could retrieve........
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,400 Senior Member
    I like !!! the .22 Hornet for crows and it probably would work for foxes, but I haven't tried it on foxes.  You shoot one crow and the flock gathers around it, raising hell, and presenting a target if one lands.  It's been a while since I shot a crow, though.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,109 Senior Member
    Dance with the one that brung ya. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    Good for you.
    My 280AI is shooting great.  I don't have a 280 Rem though
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member
    For Ernie Bishop;  Mine is actually  a .280 RCBS improved but it doesn't kill any better than a standard .280 Rem.
    Bazzaloo.
    For Gene L.  If you kill a crow while others are present they get very excited and kick up a hell of a row.
    I surreptitiously shot one from the window of our apartment once and his buddies kicked up such a fuss
    people came out of their houses and looked up wondering why they were so noisy. The one I nailed was sitting on a fence bordering the L.A. River and at the shot had fallen down into it so no one could see the carcass.......whew!

Bazzaloo.
    For Gene L. 
    The .22 Hornet will kill foxes easy. I've shot them with a .22 lr. but my .22 mag drops 'em cold every time so a Hornet is better still. Don't pass up a fox if you have a Hornet in your hands.

Bazzaloo.
    Bazzaloo said:
    For Ernie Bishop;  Mine is actually  a .280 RCBS improved but it doesn't kill any better than a standard .280 Rem.
    Bazzaloo.

What is the difference between a 280AI and the 280 RCBS Improved?
    Shorter neck and taller body of case?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    For Ernie B.  Answer: case neck angle is 35 degrees so cartridges feed easier.

Bazzaloo.
    Thanks.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"