Home Main Category Clubhouse

What is your Therapy?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 26,930 Senior Member
edited June 2021 in Clubhouse #1
I have 3 jobs.  My “paying job” where I shoot guns and hunt people for a living while selling shoes to the masses. My “home job” where I work my land and take care of my family. and, my “ranch job”, where I manage the ranch of my best friend who was paralyzed from the waist down last year. 
The daily cycle goes, paying job, home job, ranch job, sleep, repeat. 
Of the 3, the ranch is my therapy. I get to accomplish tasks in solitude, trouble shoot necessities, be outside, commune with nature, and bask in my success and failures  with nothing more than animals. It’s quite rewarding. 

The ability to see the results
of your labor, good or bad, is quite rewarding and educational. 

What is your therapy?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,056 Senior Member
    Plinking with .22 bolt actions has always had a very strong power to bring focus and make the rest of the world go away.  Other types of shooting does that somewhat; other THINGS can do that somewhat, but a Remington 510 Targetmaster was my first "drug" and I've been hooked on its various relatives ever since about age 8-9.

Cats.  Aside from being pets that are happy to see you, it is fun to watch the "pure predator" aspect of their nature creep out.  Had 'em in the house pretty much all my life - hard to imagine them not being around.

Bullet casting and reloading is similarly meditative to the .22's.  Since most of that equipment lives at my folk's place, it also means getting to check in on, visit with, and help them out - also while getting bounced and slobbered on by their dogs.  In my case, Dad is "that guy" you have the conversations with in your own bizzare version of the English language that very few others really comprehend.  I guess I can count myself lucky that my parents are my therapy, rather than the thing that puts so many other IN therapy. :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,960 Senior Member

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Reading.

Almost all my time is spent in obligation, leaving hardly any to do what I want. The rest is compromised in accomidation of paternal responsibility.

If I'm lucky, and succeed with my long term plans. I may be able to do what I want with my own time when I retire.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,835 Senior Member
    I do a lot of reading as well.
    My dance, of course - and tinkering with "whatever", be it guns, cars, or whatever household project. About the only time tinkering fails as therapy is when a 30 minute job becomes a 4 hour PITA, like yesterday's dryer vent replacement. I was roundly cussing "the last guy" who put it in originally!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,921 Senior Member
    Snowboarding. Learning it was a challenge to my own impatience, and took a very conscious commitment to just do it regardless. When I really got hooked was when I realized that because it did (and does) take the entirety of my concentration, I'm not thinking about anything else. Let my concentration slip for even a few seconds and the consequences are very real. I've gotten to the point where almost any resort run, including back bowls, are within my grasp, but the concentration requirement remains the same. My next goal is to get into true back country exploring, so the next obstacle will be a serious of avalanche education classes. 

Besides that it's exercise in general. I rarely miss a day on the weights, running/hiking, or doing yoga (very underrated in many circles). 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    edited June 2021 #7
    Unlike Zee and a few others that have the opportunity to shoot often or just be outside, I work in an office environment and ranges are expensive, run by nazi type ROs  and just not open the hours that most of us are at work. When I can, sitting at a bench using a rimfire rifle making one ragged hole in a target or making the spinner spin is relaxing and makes me giggle when I can do it over and over.

While I cant shoot often,  I can within minutes of my house be fishing.  Using artificial lures i can catch bass up to 11 pounds in the small lakes and canals.  Or I can tie on something shiny and fast and catch Peacock bass.  Sometimes I get so relaxed and comfortable I lose track of time and find myself swatting mosquitoes.   That means it is later then I think and I am late for dinner.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Speaking of therapy.

Kudos to ammo makers for labeling individual shotgun hulls. Makes sorting through odds and ends easy and more importantly safer. I'm very happy to have complete info on every hull.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,865 Senior Member
    Hunt, fish, be outside.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,464 Senior Member
    Golf, fishing, shooting. 
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,257 Senior Member
    I have too many hobbies to list, but they can go anywhere from riding my motorcycle to sitting out under the gazebo with a nice cigar while I read. I hate being cooped up.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,060 Senior Member
    Tracking a mess in the house so Mrs. Clean can exercise her therapy.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I have 3 jobs.  My “paying job” where I shoot guns and hunt people for a living while selling shoes to the masses. My “home job” where I work my land and take care of my family. and, my “ranch job”, where I manage the ranch of my best friend who was paralyzed from the waist down last year. 
    The daily cycle goes, paying job, home job, ranch job, sleep, repeat. 
    Of the 3, the ranch is my therapy. I get to accomplish tasks in solitude, trouble shoot necessities, be outside, commune with nature, and bask in my success and failures  with nothing more than animals. It’s quite rewarding. 

The ability to see the results
    of your labor, good or bad, is quite rewarding and educational. 

What is your therapy?
    Those are awesome pictures!  

I used to find ranch work great therapy.  Even sitting on my tractor spreading manure was just relaxing.  But those days are over.  

Nowadays I pick some sort of manual project and get lost in it.  Usually something that has to do with rescuing or improving a firearm.  Right now I’m cleaning and organizing my garage so I can get my reloading bench going.  It’s slow and tedious work but I love it.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 295 Member
    Flying. The view from up there is always amazing. Riding my bicycles.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,892 Senior Member
    edited June 2021 #15
    Although there are a few things that distract my mind from the daily frustrations of living, nothing works better than going out on my motorcycle on a warm sunny day and cruising the twists and turns of the few roads in Florida that are like that. I consider riding in the mountains to be like "bikers heaven," so twice a year I get to go to the mountains in Maggie Valley, NC and Johnson City, TN. Maggie Valley is coming up in 3 weeks.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    edited June 2021 #16
    Playing drums, surfing, shooting, fishing, hunting, reading and listening to music. More or less in that order.
    About to loose almost all of them thanks to the comunists about to take power. Already selling/storing/hiding my guns and where we're going is landlocked and won't have the time/money/license to shoot for a while, nor the possibility of playing drums since almost all my time will probably be consumed by work when/if I find one.
    That leaves me only with what I'll be able to do with my laptop, that is reading and listening to music.....this is going to be UGLY! Hope I'll eventually recover whatever hobbies are possible.

Such is life in the tropics.
    Another thing I forgot but figured I'd mention because it's completely new to me is that I've been teaching myself guitar. I find it to be very therapeutic and gratifying as well. 
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,758 Senior Member
    You like playing guitar? 

Play this. Note for note...

Overkill is underrated.
    Antonio said:
    Playing drums, surfing, shooting, fishing, hunting, reading and listening to music. More or less in that order.
    About to loose almost all of them thanks to the comunists about to take power. Already selling/storing/hiding my guns and where we're going is landlocked and won't have the time/money/license to shoot for a while, nor the possibility of playing drums since almost all my time will probably be consumed by work when/if I find one.
    That leaves me only with what I'll be able to do with my laptop, that is reading and listening to music.....this is going to be UGLY! Hope I'll eventually recover whatever hobbies are possible.

Such is life in the tropics.
    After knowing you for a while now, i feel confident that you will work it out.  You have a much better plan than many in your position.
    You like playing guitar? 

Play this. Note for note...

Yeah, that won't be happening for a while lol.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,639 Senior Member
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,344 Senior Member
    My therapy is the great outdoors.  Being a rancher!  Horse back riding now that we have horses on the ranch.  My biggest love is scuba diving with sharks.  I hope to be able to it by the end of the year but that may be a stretch. Shooting and hunting with my wife and with my buddy who comes out from out east. He and I have been hunting together since we were kids.  Taking the grandkids fishing when it's not too hot, or shooting .22's with them. Riding four wheelers or side by sides on all the trails on the ranch looking for critters.

At the end of the day or the beginning reading the bible.

Antonio, I played drums as a kid, would love to get my own kit again.  When music is playing my feet and hands are moving with the beat of the music.  Usually on a plane someone next to me will say something or bump me.  I don't ever realize it, just comes naturally!  I sometimes drive my wife bonkers playing drums on my thighs with my feet moving the imaginary bass pedal and hi hat.  I'll use her as a symbol sometimes if she's setting next to me which gets me a look or two!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,873 Senior Member
    About the only thing I do to "get away" anymore is fly fish...even then...not often enough

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,857 Senior Member
    Really, my main therapy is gun stuff.  Going shooting, working on guns, playing with loads, tinkering, etc.

I also enjoy being out in the woods, just farting around.  Exploring, cutting trails, and just not being around the modern stuff I HAVE to be around to provide for my family.  

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    My therapy is the great outdoors.  Being a rancher!  Horse back riding now that we have horses on the ranch.  My biggest love is scuba diving with sharks.  I hope to be able to it by the end of the year but that may be a stretch. Shooting and hunting with my wife and with my buddy who comes out from out east. He and I have been hunting together since we were kids.  Taking the grandkids fishing when it's not too hot, or shooting .22's with them. Riding four wheelers or side by sides on all the trails on the ranch looking for critters.

At the end of the day or the beginning reading the bible.

Antonio, I played drums as a kid, would love to get my own kit again.  When music is playing my feet and hands are moving with the beat of the music.  Usually on a plane someone next to me will say something or bump me.  I don't ever realize it, just comes naturally!  I sometimes drive my wife bonkers playing drums on my thighs with my feet moving the imaginary bass pedal and hi hat.  I'll use her as a symbol sometimes if she's setting next to me which gets me a look or two!
    “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Lord I miss mine...
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Thanks Ron; hope you're right. Will be posting a new thread about it when possible so I won't steal this one.

Playing any kind of musical instrument has proven to be the most relaxing and satisfiying pastime you can do if you know how.

Jeff, if noise is an issue, you should try an electronic drum set. Yes, like a friend of mine said it's like having sex with the most expensive adult doll you can find but it's better than nothing!
    Even with a decent mid-leve set like those of Yamaha or Roland you can get VERY close to the actual deal. Plug it to a set of headphones and you won't be making more noise than banging some phone books with a couple of pencils, and plug it to an amp and you'll hardly notice any difference between it and an acoustic set.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,857 Senior Member
    I was going to say the same thing about the electronic drum set.  My kiddo has an Alesis Mesh head set, and it is a pretty nice kit.  I am not a drummer at ALL, but the pro he takes lessons from was impressed with it as well.

I THINK this is the new version of the one he has:   https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Mesh-Turbo-Backpack-Kit/dp/B07HYTRL7D/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3JCM4APGBDZT1&dchild=1&keywords=alesis+mesh+drum+heads&qid=1625064005&sprefix=Alesis+Mesh+head+drum%2Caps%2C250&sr=8-8
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,770 Senior Member

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,930 Senior Member
    Nice! 👆🏻
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,865 Senior Member

Your nose is bigger than I thought it would be ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,344 Senior Member
    Antonio said:
    Thanks Ron; hope you're right. Will be posting a new thread about it when possible so I won't steal this one.

Playing any kind of musical instrument has proven to be the most relaxing and satisfiying pastime you can do if you know how.

Jeff, if noise is an issue, you should try an electronic drum set. Yes, like a friend of mine said it's like having sex with the most expensive adult doll you can find but it's better than nothing!
    Even with a decent mid-leve set like those of Yamaha or Roland you can get VERY close to the actual deal. Plug it to a set of headphones and you won't be making more noise than banging some phone books with a couple of pencils, and plug it to an amp and you'll hardly notice any difference between it and an acoustic set.
    Many thanks, I've considered it in the past.  I'll look into it and see how much a set costs!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21