Home Main Category Clubhouse

Well THIS is an eyeopener

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,947 Senior Member
Haven't mentioned it on here, but since 6/18, I've been unemployed (my choice)
Had a pre-employment physical today that included a 12 lead EKG.

According to their machine, I've had 2, YES TWO, "infarctions" (Heart attacks) Talk about an "OH CRAP/ ****" moment.

So, I go see my primary care physician Friday (scheduled for other reasons beforehand) and have made an appointment to see a cardiologist at 8 am Monday.
With my background, Monday will involve another EKG and lab work. If their machine shows the same, then I expect a cardiac cath with stents, or, worst case scenario, open heart surgery.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,484 Senior Member
    I’d say “oh crap” is right. 

Hope everything turns out ok
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,410 Senior Member
    Stay on top of this one if you're fond of breathing.
    Holy Crap is right.
    I hope things work out for you but yeah, stay on top of this one.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,453 Senior Member
    Oh crap!
    Prayers out from the swamplands.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,460 Senior Member
    Hang in there, dude. Heart stuff's not to be taken lightly. Of course, we both know that. Prayers outbound.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,568 Senior Member
    That would be a surprise indeed.  Have you ever had any indication that either event had happened?
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,229 Senior Member
    Definitely an Oh Crap moment and must be checked out thoroughly. 
    Having said that, I’ve been running EKG’s for a long time and their (machine) interpretation’s are frequently overruled by the cardiologist. Let’s hope for that. Otherwise better to find out now then when #3 happens!!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,947 Senior Member
    edited July 14 #8
    Thanks guys, I know the machine interpretations aren't 100% accurate. and is why I scheduled the cardiologist appt.

FYI, when I told the scheduler WHY I needed an appointment, they were quite helpful in getting me in quickly, as opposed to the 3+ weeks it took my wife to get an appt at the same office. Funny how that works when you have a printout saying you've had 2 undiagnosed MIs already ;)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited July 14 #9
    mitdr774 said:
    That would be a surprise indeed.  Have you ever had any indication that either event had happened?
    Nope, though only being machine indicated, there's a chance neither actually happened. But I'm going to act like they have, until proven otherwise. So I'm sitting here, feeling like a ticking time bomb. (Which doesn't help if I did have them)

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,549 Senior Member
    Take it easy Paul. Hopefully a clean bill of health with as little intrusion as possible will have you about your normal activities ASAP.
    Thanks

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,460 Senior Member
    edited July 15 #12
    Funny how that works, Paul. When I arrived at the hospital with VFib I was apparently one of the very few that survived long enough to even make it there alive. I think it piqued their professional interest, and for a few days I was the most attended patient in the ward. I bet you get the same treatment. ;)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,574 Senior Member
    Sure hope that it turns out to be a bad test.  Either way, you know what you need to do, we dont need to preach.  Did you give up the cigarettes ?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Sure hope that it turns out to be a bad test.  Either way, you know what you need to do, we dont need to preach.  Did you give up the cigarettes ?
    I hope it’s a bad test too.  Praying for you brother!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,550 Senior Member
    Prayers!
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,923 Senior Member
    Jus prayed for your care.

Clean said the "C" word.

We just had Clean put on another heart med hoping to ward off another ablation as she has started 
    having A-flutter again, lately.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,160 Senior Member
    edited July 15 #17
    Hopefully, the readings are inaccurate, but if they aren't, I would still count it as a blessing. My dad died when I was 18. The autopsy found that he had 2 previous heart attacks and he never knew it. The third one killed him. I think we lost Dan Johnson the same way.

As someone that had open heart surgery at 34, I can assure you that it beats the heck out of being dead. Thoracic surgery is pretty much routine these days. I wish you the best.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    edited July 15 #18
    Thanks everyone.
     I'm not taking the 1 EKG results as "gospel", HOWEVER, I am taking it serious enough to take steps to have them either confirmed or dismissed.
    My paternal grandfather fell over dead while working in his garden 3 years younger than my present age. (I was 6 when he died 7/1/72)

Mike, you and I have been friends for a while and have spent a ton of time on the phone over the years, but I'm sorry, I don't want to follow in your example of falling over dead.
     I probably 1) won't be near an AED, and 2) wouldn't be around anyone to use it on me if there was one handy.
    Your situation, plus my normal surroundings and someone would probably be posting my obituary on here.

Thank you all for the thoughts, prayers and well wishes. As I said in the title of this thread, it's an eyeopener for sure.

Hopefully it's machine, or operator, error, but I'll feel better after getting that confirmed

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,200 Senior Member
    Paul, prayers coming your way.  It's good you're getting out in front of this.  Nothing to take lightly.  Keep us posted!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Will do Jeff

Ron, to answer your question, nope, still smoking 1-1.5 packs/day

• RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 267 Member
    Fingers crossed for a false positive! Darn nicotine has to be the most addictive drug on the planet.
    knitepoet said:
    Ron, to answer your question, nope, still smoking 1-1.5 packs/day
    I got a nice shock collar that is doing wonders training my dog.  When I'm done with it I'm sending it to your wife  :D

Of course you KNOW I'm joking right?

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    I got a nice shock collar that is doing wonders training my dog.  When I'm done with it I'm sending it to your wife  :D

Knowing you... yeah, but even if your weren't, you'd get distracted and forget about it  >:):DB)<3

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,511 Senior Member
    We're keeping you in our thoughts Paul...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Thank you

knitepoet said:
    GunNut said:

Knowing you... yeah, but even if your weren't, you'd get distracted and forget about it  >:):DB)<3
    About what?!?!?!?

GunNut said:
    About what?!?!?!?
    The airspeed of an unladen swallow

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,197 Senior Member
    HOLY CRAP! Get this taken care and praying for good results!!
    Thanks