Home Main Category General Firearms

32-20 properly benched… not really… well kind’a… 😁

Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 133 Member
Had a few minutes after work today and a new load to try so I ran to the range with the ol’Marlin ‘94 32-20.   Again this puppy is from the mid 1910s and I just finished a “light” refurb, replacing some bubba’d screws, THOROUGH cleaning including 100 years of gunk in the barrel, lube and overall tightening up.

DAMN I’m glad y’all put a bug in my head about this round and gun…

As you can see I was just joking about properly benched.  This is a redneck range rest if there’s ever been one.  But I was only going to shoot at tiny little dots at 25 yards to figure out if these loads will do and where I’m hitting.  Besides where I’m headed this will be my saddle scabbard or walk around gun so about 25-40 yards will be the limit of need.

First the plinking load… 4.5 rounds of Unique with a LRN bullet on top.  meh…. It’ll do for dispatching backyard vermin and ringing steel at SASS matches.  I don’t have the time to mess with this load and feels like I’m shooting a .22 😎

But then!!!!  14.5 grains oh H4227 topped with a Remington PSP.  Should be clocking at about 1,700 FPS or more according to the very old Lyman manual I got  😍

DAMN!!!  I’ll take it!

I have to drift the rear and order a taller front sight because the rear is as low as it’ll go.  Probably try to get a vintage Lyman with the ivory dot.  The brass blade on it is all but useless.  Anyway, I’m in ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,229 Senior Member
    That is coming along nicely!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 133 Member
    sakodude said:
    That is coming along nicely!
    Most fun project in a loooooong time!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,197 Senior Member
    edited July 21 #4
    It's just SCREAMING for a tang sight!!  B)
    AND a matching revolver!!

You're welcome!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,574 Senior Member
    Big Al knows of what he speaks!!  Tang sights are the bomb
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,549 Senior Member
    You did a nice job on it.
    That rear sight's hard for me to use. Could be the short charge of Unique wasn't enough smack.

It'll keep the chickens safe at the new place for sure.
    Big Al1 said:
    It's just SCREAMING for a tang sight!!  B)
    AND a matching revolver!!

You're welcome!!
    Yes it is, and thank you!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Diver43 said:
    Big Al knows of what he speaks!!  Tang sights are the bomb
    Yep, my Winchester 94 of same vintage has a factory one.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    You did a nice job on it.
    That rear sight's hard for me to use. Could be the short charge of Unique wasn't enough smack.

It'll keep the chickens safe at the new place for sure.
    It’s not that short, max is 5 grains.  But yeah it’ll give Raccoons and Coyotes a really bad belly ache.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 841 Senior Member
    Every 32 caliber lead bullet firearm that I've ever fired has always been exceptionally accurate. I wonder what the science behind it is. 
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
    Every 32 caliber lead bullet firearm that I've ever fired has always been exceptionally accurate. I wonder what the science behind it is. 
    Not sure.  Some rounds just seem to be inherently accurate.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,593 Senior Member
    I think I would put it on paper at 50 before changing anything.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    I think I would put it on paper at 50 before changing anything.
    Good thinking.  Normally I would do that, but that front sight (brass) is nearly impossible to see so it's leaving anyway so I figured I'd just order it.  But then again, your thinking is sound so I will probably will go ahead and shoot it at 50 to at least get the vertical on and that will give me time to rummage through my old sights box and see if I already have a suitable one.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,928 Senior Member
    Very nice shooting and quite a rifle too! That .32-20 can be a tad hard to reload due to the thin cases but once you master it you can play up and down with loads and bullets to get performances that will suit your needs.
    Friend of mine is doing so for a very good Winchester '92 he just got. Since components, specially cases and primers, are HARD to find here it's a true labour of love; in fact I suggested him to find or make out of scratch a .32-20 to .32 S&W Long chamber adapter so it won't stay only as a nice exhibition piece, but he managed to scrounge a few old boxes of that ammo and now he's reloading them with very mild ".22LR-ish" charges for range-only use and longer case life. He's already planning to get a mould to cast his own SWC bullets. 

Let's see yours working @ 50!
    Antonio said:
    Very nice shooting and quite a rifle too! That .32-20 can be a tad hard to reload due to the thin cases but once you master it you can play up and down with loads and bullets to get performances that will suit your needs.
    Friend of mine is doing so for a very good Winchester '92 he just got. Since components, specially cases and primers, are HARD to find here it's a true labour of love; in fact I suggested him to find or make out of scratch a .32-20 to .32 S&W Long chamber adapter so it won't stay only as a nice exhibition piece, but he managed to scrounge a few old boxes of that ammo and now he's reloading them with very mild ".22LR-ish" charges for range-only use and longer case life. He's already planning to get a mould to cast his own SWC bullets. 

Thanks!  I would KILL for an old '92 in this chambering.  I can't even imagine owning one and then it being so difficult to get components to shoot it, even though the timing of me getting this one made it quite a challenge!  BUT, thanks to the generosity of members here (they know who they are and hopefully how grateful I truly am!) they got me up and running and as long as I'm careful I'll be able to hang on until components become more available!

I do have to carve some time to get to the 50 yard line soon, but I'm being a miser with the ammo I have  :D
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,280 Senior Member
    What gr. bullets? That is pretty cool, I also say get to the 50 yd bench and the 100yd bench
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Lead 115
    Rem PSP 100
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,890 Senior Member
    Very cool! Nice work! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    Very cool! Nice work! 
    Thanks!!  You got me started looking in this direction 😁
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Elk creek said:
    Very cool! Nice work! 
    That’s what I do…..just ask Sakodude. 🤣😂
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    Very cool! Nice work! 
    He is Da Debil incarnate ;)
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    Very cool! Nice work! 
    Right….. ‘cause I don’t have first hand experience?  

You want to tally up what your “friendship” has cost me so far?  Just add the cost of the Uberti to the Steyr Zephyr and we’ll just go ahead and ignore the 3 Uberti 1873 SAs .45 Colt and this Marlin I bought because of your planting the bug in my ear…. And I’m sure I’m missing stuff…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    Very cool! Nice work! 

You want to tally up what your “friendship” has cost me so far?  Just add the cost of the Uberti to the Steyr Zephyr and we’ll just go ahead and ignore the 3 Uberti 1873 SAs .45 Colt and this Marlin I bought because of your planting the bug in my ear…. And I’m sure I’m missing stuff…
    😂🤣
    just helping out friends to find unicorns…… 
    oh Sako, 6.5x57 Mauser brass can be sized down to 257 Roberts. I did 10 cases as a test. Works awesome. It’s PPU from Grafs.com in stock too! 
    I try…..😈
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    Elk creek said:
    Very cool! Nice work! 

😂🤣
    just helping out friends to find unicorns…… 
    oh Sako, 6.5x57 Mauser brass can be sized down to 257 Roberts. I did 10 cases as a test. Works awesome. It’s PPU from Grafs.com in stock too! 
    I've got enough to tide me over since I don't need to give you any now :# Just need to find a set of dies.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,213 Senior Member
     I'll check tomorrow to see if I have dies.  It's been about a week when I gave a box of .32=20 ammo to a buddy.  I do still have some 25-20 ammo.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,928 Senior Member
    Antonio said:

Thanks!  I would KILL for an old '92 in this chambering....
    I scratched that itch a little with an old Rossi Puma SRC in .38 Special only (True '92s here are usually .44WFC and are scarce; when found they're usually derelicts with wasted bores or quite expensive to buy and feed. My pal got lucky with his) ; it came as an incomplete & neglected bag of parts so an enjoyable rebuild project too. Result was a decent-looker and excellent performer.

If being a replica doesn't bother you, getting one of those or maybe a fine Taylor's copy can do it for you. Not made in .32-20 but if being over there and very fond in that caliber, I'd go the extra mile and make a gunsmith to either reline or rebarrel one to that round. Wouldn't be cheap though.
    Antonio said:
    Antonio said:

Thanks!  I would KILL for an old '92 in this chambering....
    I scratched that itch a little with an old Rossi Puma SRC in .38 Special only (True '92s here are usually .44WFC and are scarce; when found they're usually derelicts with wasted bores or quite expensive to buy and feed. My pal got lucky with his) ; it came as an incomplete & neglected bag of parts so an enjoyable rebuild project too. Result was a decent-looker and excellent performer.

If being a replica doesn't bother you, getting one of those or maybe a fine Taylor's copy can do it for you. Not made in .32-20 but if being over there and very fond in that caliber, I'd go the extra mile and make a gunsmith to either reline or rebarrel one to that round. Wouldn't be cheap though.
    I already have the Rossi and. Beautiful Italian ‘73.  I need the real thing but doubt I’ll ever find a vintage one at a price I can swing.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬