Home Main Category General Firearms

Why Revolvers?

2»

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,473 Senior Member
    edited August 5 #32
    also, revolvers don’t exceed the oh so dangerous 10 round capacity, MUCH less dangerous firearms they are
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,767 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    There is a GREAT deal of amusement to be found in heavy bullet / slow velocity loadings.  They don't beat you up, and with all the mass of the slug, well, they MOVE things.  Spent a great afternoon with .44 Keiths at about 750 fps out of a 4" Smith Mountain Gun turning large chunks of rotten granite into crumbs.  
    Load?
    You actually want me to REMEMBER this stuff? :D

It was the Lyman 429244, which is basically just Elmer Keith's bullet with a gas check.  Probably pooted out with Unique, maybe Titegroup, maybe something else. Have since corrected that revolver's too-tight-for-bore throats and don't need gas checks in it anymore - probably won't make more of that exact thing.  Waiting on a production run of a tumble lube design so the lube-sizer can be removed from the process as well.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,949 Senior Member
    edited August 5 #34
    My specials I load a 240 grain cast bullet with 7 grains of Unique pushing it. For a lighter load back it off to 6.5 grains of unique…. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Antonio said:
    I’ve always wanted a 4.5” Single Six and it’s a revolver that has managed to elude me my whole life…

Me too. Almost traded mine to my friend for his, exactly the one on top of the pic, but since mine is a 3-screws Old Model and his a 2-screw one (No intermediate "click" in those when pulling the hammer) I finally declined. Test-fired it for a while and it was hitting poppers at any distance on par with my 6 1/2".

A stainless steel one would be perfect. Too bad those are "distributor exclusive" only and will never arrive here. Guess I'll have to cut a 5 1/2" one someday.....

Have also strolled around the fields with my Webley Mk VI once.....I'd say it's quite a different feeling chap!
    I’ve thought about doing just that with my old style pre-convertible Single-Six 5.5 but it’s too nice a gun to chop.

Don't! Those are reaching collectible status depending on condition, model, year, etc.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 896 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    My specials I load a 240 grain cast bullet with 7 grains of Unique pushing it. For a lighter load back it off to 6.5 grains of unique…. 
    @Elk creek  Is there a big difference recoil-wise between the two?
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Antonio said:
    Antonio said:
    I’ve always wanted a 4.5” Single Six and it’s a revolver that has managed to elude me my whole life…

Me too. Almost traded mine to my friend for his, exactly the one on top of the pic, but since mine is a 3-screws Old Model and his a 2-screw one (No intermediate "click" in those when pulling the hammer) I finally declined. Test-fired it for a while and it was hitting poppers at any distance on par with my 6 1/2".

A stainless steel one would be perfect. Too bad those are "distributor exclusive" only and will never arrive here. Guess I'll have to cut a 5 1/2" one someday.....

Have also strolled around the fields with my Webley Mk VI once.....I'd say it's quite a different feeling chap!
    I’ve thought about doing just that with my old style pre-convertible Single-Six 5.5 but it’s too nice a gun to chop.

Don't! Those are reaching collectible status depending on condition, model, year, etc.
    Yep, and mine was born before the interchangeable cylinders so it's a dedicated .22lr gun so..... yeah, I'm not messing with it.  One of these days I'll buy one of those Uberti 1873 clones.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,949 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    @Elk creek  Is there a big difference recoil-wise between the two?
    The 7 grain loads  are slightly noticeable stiffer than the 6.5’s. Nothing drastic though…
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Cool, good to know.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,834 Senior Member
    Speaking of revolvers, I just want to reiterate a right useful holster. 
    Made for the Ruger Alaskan .44 Mag, it fits that gun and anything K Framed or smaller with a 3” barrel or less. 
    Inexpensive (just bought a second one for $14.99 from Midway) and handy. It’s a field holster. Not for speed. It keeps the dirt and sweat off my revolvers doing ranch chores and seems to be trucking along well enough for the price. I will now have two of them. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,767 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I used to think it was the larger cartridges as well. But here lately I’m carrying the .45 ACP CA Revolver. Of which I have plenty so chambered pistols. 
    I do like the stainless aspect of most of my revolvers. Especially in the dirty/sweaty aspect of ranching. I only have one stainless pistol. 
    In general, I’d saw it’s the chambering options. I do like a .357 Mag or .44 Spl in the field. A little more umph and distance in the field. 

The dial up or dial down ability of a revolver is pretty nice.  Not being dependent on spring rates for reliability is good.

That they do not care about bullet shape is also nice.  If you're working with velocity or recoil restrictions that make expansion doubtful, a revolver is FINE with meplats of 75% bore diameter or greater.  Having tried this in autos, I can say it's not for casual tinkering.

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee