Home Main Category Hunting

Almost time

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,440 Senior Member

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    There’s one nesting in a flower pot on my front porch!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,143 Senior Member
    We have them all over the place, however, in MI they're a "songbird"...and are therefore not huntable...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,085 Senior Member
    My kiddo wants to start dove hunting.  I’ve never been a big wing shooter, so this year will be interesting
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,371 Senior Member
    I'm looking forward to fresh BBQ dovederves....
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,532 Senior Member
    I love the pre-wrapped ones! B)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,194 Senior Member
    Dove hunting can be a very humbling experience
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,440 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Welcome to my world.  I've been hunting those pesky mach 1 fly by's for a many many  years.  You would think in all that time I'd get a bit better at it.  Nope!  I'm just as bad as when I started.  One year I did get my limit in a day!  I was on top of my game, hitting most birds that flew by.  I still don't know what I was doing different.  However, Sept 1st I'll be setting on my dove stool filling the skies of great state of Texas with lead, in hopes a few birds fill sorry for me and drop from the skies! 

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,532 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Since I did more dove hunting than anything else as a boy in terms of numbers, with quail and pheasant in that order, I never really felt that way, it was just normal hunting.   I missed birds for sure, but I just saw it as a fun challenge to get better at.  Besides quail, It's where I learned to pick a bird and shoot fast

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,698 Senior Member
    Dove fields are about nonexistent around here now. I miss it
    Hell I got one with two young ones nesting in a hanging flower pot right outside my window!

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,573 Senior Member
    Hell I got one with two young ones nesting in a hanging flower pot right outside my window!

Appetizers. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:

Appetizers. 
    🤣🤣🤣

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    That was my family's thing to do for several years when I was growing up in Arizona.
     My Dad always told us when picking up a downed bird, step on the head adn pit llupoff as you pick it up. Something about draining, pumping the last of the blood out making it less gamey? They sure do flutter!
    My Dad brought one of his friends one time who didn't shoot. I think he wanted to drink beer on a Saturday morning. 😉
    After I put 5 or 6 on the tailgate, the guy looked at my Dad and said SOB, I have never seen anyone shoot the head off of every one!
    I don't know if my Dad ever told him. 😂

That's all I got.

Paul
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,085 Senior Member

Guy I knew that was working from home would hit a couple of dove with a pellet rifle and grill them up for lunch. 

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,291 Senior Member

Guy I knew that was working from home would hit a couple of dove with a pellet rifle and grill them up for lunch. 

*ahem*, note to self, review game camera in back yard, buy big bore air rifle, grill them up for lunch. ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

My wife would grill me for lunch 😱
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Didn't get to make it out opening day. Thunderstorms and flash flood watches. Today is looking better so far, though...

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,440 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #20
    Jay said:
    5 more days... 

Sure you had to post these last two pictures.  It's hurtful as these photos speak specifically to me.  I suck at dove hunting, always have, though I try hard each season!  It's always fun filling the sky full of lead in hopes that a dove or two will feel sorry for me and fall out of the sky! :)

I got to go out for a bit this evening. By the time my buddy got off work and we got to the spot, we only had 30 minutes of daylight left and there was already someone at our spot. We set up a bit away from them and picked off stray birds they had stirred up. 7 birds for 12 shells fired. I’ll take it. One bird was not retrieved, being in the middle of thick mesquite brush and weeds. I wasn’t going in there for it.. so 6 birds came home. Still nice to get out and have fun with a friend. 

edited September 2021 #22
    Great start!  Which shotgun did you use?
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Remington Spartan 310 O/U 12ga. I was going to set up a pic with the birds and gun together, but it was getting dark and mosquitoes were eating me alive. Was ready to clean birds and get gone.
    Jay said:
    Remington Spartan 310 O/U 12ga. I was going to set up a pic with the birds and gun together, but it was getting dark and mosquitoes were eating me alive. Was ready to clean birds and get gone.
    Cool!  I think an O/U would be my choice for this gig too.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,572 Senior Member
    got  to watch those skeeters this year, we have two case of west Nile we’re treating this year!

Hotter than Hell, but I opened the season with a quick 2 for 3 right out of the gate!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,194 Senior Member
    Good start
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,698 Senior Member
    I never heard a shot around here. Haven’t seen many doves either

The boy out shot me today. Bastige!

Sorry old man.. 🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬