Home Main Category Clubhouse

2011 was a good year for me

Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 603 Senior Member
Celebrating my oldest Granddaughter's tenth journey around the sun today.

Relaxing with a Chacom 2011 Pipe of the Year, thinking back on all the funny times, proud times and times yet to come.

I have acquired a dated pipe for each of my seven grandkids that I smoke on their Birthdays and other significant occasions of their lives.  They get a kick out of me celebrating and appreciating them being in my life, and when I am gone they will each have a little keepsake and can smell the ghost in the pipe to remember Papa by  -  a much better memory trigger than the smell of vodka.  (approaching 2 years sober and not looking back) 
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
"I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,207 Senior Member
    What a cool idea!!!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,693 Senior Member
    My maternal grandmother chewed hand rolled plug t'backy. I don't remember anyone wanting to keep the Folgers jar she spit in.......  ;)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 603 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    My maternal grandmother chewed hand rolled plug t'backy. I don't remember anyone wanting to keep the Folgers jar she spit in.......  ;)
    There is actually somewhat of a collector's market for antique spittoons (sans residual contents), although an old Folgers jar used as such would probably have little value. 

Now, if she had used something classier, like a Chock Full-O-Nuts can, or a green plastic Mountain Dew bottle, you might have had something there...

Spittoons aside, there is a hobby / collector's market for tobacco memorabilia, including tobacco pipes (some of which, with provenance or rarity can be quite valuable to those who would appreciate them).

My wife has a shadow-box display of some of her Grandparent's knick-knacks, including a couple of tobacco pipes, which is primarily where I got the idea to do this, as well as having been approached by people who tell me that they remember the smell of their Grandfather's pipe smoking, and that the smell of my pipe tobacco brought back to them a pleasant memory from their childhood.  My eldest grandson has mentioned to me that he likes the smell of my pipe a lot better than the smell over at his Aunt's house, who smokes cigarettes.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    This was before there was such a thing as a plastic Mt Dew bottle...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,138 Senior Member
    My Grandmother dipped...always had a Hills Brothers can close by...always had to be careful so as to avoid it.

I have a brass spitoon (cuspidor) from the Union Pacific Railroad...I have no idea of its age but it's old...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    My Grandmother dipped...always had a Hills Brothers can close by...always had to be careful so as to avoid it.

I have a brass spitoon (cuspidor) from the Union Pacific Railroad...I have no idea of its age but it's old...
    Granny was 82. It was more of a dribble into the jar than a spit....
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 603 Senior Member
    2016 was a pretty good year for me as well...

Second Youngest Granddaughter celebrates 5 trips around the Sun today