Home Main Category Clubhouse

Favorite classic non-gun, non-military movie

Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,278 Senior Member
We all love movies like Jon Wick and Blackhawk down with plenty of action and gun play.  How about good drama?

I find myself wanting to watch “To Kill a Mockingbird” again, an great film depicting life in a small southern town many moons ago.  I’ve probably watched that movie 20 times in my life and it never gets old.

Do you have any you keep going back to?
I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,009 Senior Member
    The Quiet Man
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,702 Senior Member
    McClintock. The Best Year(s?) of Our Lives

Any of The Thin Man movies. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member

Outstanding acting in Requiem for a Heavyweight.

Natalie Wood is my favorite old time actress bar none.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,738 Senior Member
    edited August 2021 #5
    The art of the steal.
    Kurt Russell and a heck of a cast.
    I've watched it 3 times and I still find new twists and turns.
    It's definitely better the second time.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    We all love movies like Jon Wick and Blackhawk down with plenty of action and gun play.  How about good drama?

I find myself wanting to watch “To Kill a Mockingbird” again, an great film depicting life in a small southern town many moons ago.  I’ve probably watched that movie 20 times in my life and it never gets old.

Do you have any you keep going back to?
    I watched "to kill a mockingbird" almost 50 Years ago. Great movie, but the part I remember most is when Atticus killed the Rabid dog with the Krag

• wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    edited August 2021 #7
    I have no idea how many times I've watched Smokey and the Bandit and American Graffiti.  John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns can get thrown into the pot also.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,058 Senior Member
    "The Abyss" and "Avatar"
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,091 Senior Member
    Top Secret with Val Kilmer
    Blazing Saddles.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,443 Senior Member
    The Enchanted Cottage, Mrs Miniver & Mortal Storm, I find myself watching again and again!  Oh yeah Arsenic and Old Lace.  I love the 40's movies
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,278 Senior Member
    Anything with Humphrey Boggart, specially:

African Queen
    Key Largo
    Treasure of Sierra Madre
    The Caine Mutiny

and of course…

Casablanca

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    I guess Casablanca is kind’a military-ish…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,328 Senior Member
    I've watched Forrest Gump many times.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,296 Senior Member
    Pretty much anything with Cary Grant, especially an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,580 Senior Member
    Blazing Saddles
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.

It's the best Manly Man movie ever made. It's so obnoxious it doesn't play on network tv anymore. The streaming services and pay per view still have it though.
    If you have any liberals in the house, it's guaranteed to start a conversation/fight.
    🤣

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,523 Senior Member
    I didn't know there is such a thing!!  B)
    More favorites.
    Spaceballs
    Young Frankenstein
    👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

On the more serious drama side.
    The Book Thief
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose.
    The Way Back.

These are just a small handful of good movies out there. 👍

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,443 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Pretty much anything with Cary Grant, especially an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
    Add Irene Dunn to the Cary Grant movies and you have a funny timeless piece of comedy!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,410 Senior Member
    Blake Edwards' The Great Race

The Princess Bride

The Legend of Bagger Vance (even though I regard golf courses as wasted rifle ranges)

Waiting to see if Ford vs. Ferrari holds up and stands the test of time for me, but since I have come to think of it as Man vs. Suits, probably. :D

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    The Phantasm series.

Time Bandits.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    I have the entire Phantasm collection on DVD. I probably watch all of them about once a year, just because. 😁

edited August 2021 #24
    Spk said:
    I have the entire Phantasm collection on DVD. I probably watch all of them about once a year, just because. 😁
    They're stupid low budget films (Except II which was a stupid high budget film) that don't have much continuity between them and don't make much sense. But for whatever reason, they have become favorites of mine - and "horror" isn't my usual cuppa.
    BBOYYYY!!

)O(
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,298 Senior Member
    The "Shawshank Redemption" for me.
     closely followed by "Les Miserables" and "Schindlers List".
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,009 Senior Member
    Young Frankenstein, The ghost and Mrs Muir
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,040 Senior Member
    Non gun non mil, just plain funny, Animal House, Rocky Horror Show, any Mel Brooks Movie, Doctor Strangelove, etc.etc.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,296 Senior Member
    ojr said:
    The "Shawshank Redemption" for me.
     closely followed by "Les Miserables" and "Schindlers List".
    I really need to have the kids watch Shindlers List with me
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited August 2021 #29
    You guys have reminded me of some awesome movies I need to watch again!!!  Thanks!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    zorba said:
    Spk said:
    They're stupid low budget films (Except II which was a stupid high budget film) that don't have much continuity between them and don't make much sense. But for whatever reason, they have become favorites of mine - and "horror" isn't my usual cuppa.
    BBOYYYY!!
    Why they replaced Michael Baldwin (Mike) in the first one with James Le Gros as Mike in the second one still has me puzzled. I'm just glad they replaced him back by the third one. They pulled a Darren Stevens switch-a-roo but everyone noticed 🤣

Phantasm was just a new style canvas of sci-fi and horror that worked, kinda like Alien or Event Horizon. Phantasm also had the balls of death and they were shiny.
    They took Christmas ornaments along with  midgets dressed like monks and and made them "scary." 😁

On a sidenote Alchemy (Samantha Phillips) in the second one was my kind of girl 👍

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,985 Senior Member
    The original "Jurassic Park"
    "Stranger Than Fiction"
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski