Home Main Category Hunting

Do you butcher your kill, or have it processed?

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I do it myself.
    A. I'm cheap
    B. All I pretty much do is grind the whole deer anyhow. No skill involved in dropping chunks O meat into a grinder.
    C. I KNOW that MY deer is the one I am getting.
    D. I KNOW that I washed my hands after pooping, before butchering said critter.
    E. I'm cheap.

Deer butchering runs in the 80 dollar range around here. And that is only "butchering". If you want summer sausage or jerky made, you can easily double that price. Its not worth the money to me to pay someone to do it. I spent about 150 bucks getting my grinder put together, and it has already paid for itself many times over.
    Plus, I enjoy it. I load the ammo that shot the deer, I shot the deer, I process the deer. I like not having to rely on other people. And as far as making sausage and jerky, thats something that me and the kiddos love doing together. :up:

My God! It's gonna snow here in July!!! You and I actually agree on something almost to the letter!!!
    The only things we vary on is that you said you enjoy it. I don't enjoy the drudgery of the actual work. I do enjoy the results and the feeling that I know whose deer it is and that it's as clean or dirty as I made it. The few times I've taken one to a processer I was worried. It's kinda like going to a restaurant and pissing off the cook. You don't know if the food's been spit in or not.

And one other little difference is that I don't grind the whole deer. In fact I don't even make venison sausage anymore. I love fried and BBQed Venison. But that's a minor point. Other than those two things we do think a lot a like on this subject. After all, money doesn't grow on trees and I can't see whoofing it off for nothing on something I feel I can do better myself.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,281 Senior Member
    WE do our own. I say we because the kids really showed up this year. Good thing to, I had 3 to do starting at 5:30pm on Saturday this year. We skin and quarter as soon as we have time, then the quarters and pot with straps and bits goes into the fridge downstairs. It ages as we work on it from there. From 4 deer, we got 22 quarts of meat, made 20 lb of summer sausage (10lb pork buts) and a LOT of jerkey. I have no idea how much but I filled the dehydrator with 15 trays twice, and again with only 5 trays, then the dehydrator with 4 trays 4 times.

BTW, put habenaero ketchup in the brine and then when you dry them, dry rub a cajun spice into the meat. One of the better batches I have made. I do a regular salt and pepper and a garlic mix also.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    Since we hunt within minutes of the house, deer get brought home and hung up, skinned immediately, guts get dropped in a bucket for coyote bait, then if the weather allows we let them hang for a few days...(during weather that is too hot or too cold, we break them down into major groups immediately)...
    With the exception of backstraps, tenderloins, and a few roasts, most of the meat goes into the grinder...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I wouldn't even gut them if I didn't have to! When I was young our family used to do all of our own processing, deer, pigs, even chickens so I learned to do everything at a young age and did it for years until I was just tired of it. Now I am older and can afford it, I just ain't a gonna do it no more! :nono:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    When I started out , I had my deer done by a local butcher who also did game. He also did taxidermy.

Later on , one of the old timers I hunted with did it. He had a small set-up in his basement. Saw , butcher block , wrapping table. He also had an old stove and we'd make a meal while we worked!
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 136 Member
    We used to get our deer done, but we started doing our own after watching a video of how to do it on you-tube. I frankly enjoy the work, and it gives a sense of satisfaction to be able to do it. We do roasts, ground, sausage, and steaks out of the good cuts. A friend owns a butcher shop, and she let's us use her grinder.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    I could never afford to have someone do it for me and butchers that can do it legaly in this state are too few and far between. In Kaliforniastan it warm when we hunt. The faster I can cool the meat the better it tastes. I like my blacktail I butcher better than the corn fed Whitetail my brother has. I cringe to see the way he handles his meat.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    One year I did a brine cure on a deer ham complete with cloves and other traditional spices. It turned out surpisingly well. I got the recipe out of an old crafts book that told how to do a lot of stuff nobody does themselves anymore.

But I don't grind much venison anymore. I quit making deer sausage and started making pure pork or pork and beef sausage.

But I am too cheap to pay somebody to process my deer when I can do it myself. This goes for hogs too. To me, the worst part is dressing the animal anyway. And bye the time I'm through with that, most of the work is done. All it lacks is quartering. I don't cut steaks with a saw. If I make steaks I will cut the meat off the bone. I also do this with the back strap. first filet it off the bones and cut it into steaks or leave it in one long piece and marianate and BBQ it.

One way I have grown to love wild meat is in fried Tapa. Filipinos make what they call Tapa, usually out of beef. They marianate the meat in Vinegar and soy sauce with onions and garlic. Then fry it in oil without any breading. They cut it in thin strips or small chunks. Either deer or hog is great like this. Not dog though. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: They have a "SPECIAL" Recipe for that, :rotflmao::yikes::rotflmao:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I've always butchered mine, we call it "making meat".
    I bone everything out (saves freezer space) and make stew meat from the tough lower legs and can it with a pressure cooker. Ninety minutes @ 10 to 15 lbs pressure. Makes great stragonof.

jim
    farm boy wrote: »
    I have always done my own its not hard. We process our own pigs ever year too. I have helped to build one grinder similar to cpj's. Ours was better :tooth: because we used a three speed lawn mower transmission, reverse makes clean up a snap.

Some of these old German and Czeck farmers around here make 500-1,000 pounds of Sausage a year and they use the PTO on the tractor to turn the grinder. Some will set the grinder in a strategic place in the barn. Then they have a hole in the side of the barn and back the tractor up where the PTO coupling is sticking through the side of the barn. Then hook it up to the grinder. This keeps em out of the wind cause they usually do this when it's cold.
  • TinkerUniqueTinkerUnique New Member Posts: 7 New Member
    The whitetails in E. TN that I get are processed fairly reasonable ( $25-$40 ). Cut & wrapped to order - usually within a day or so AFTER it 'hangs for a week in the cooler.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    I have done an antelope myself, and that really wasn't too bad, since it was all ground up anyways. But, that was an 80lbs animal, not a 600lbs animal lol.

I've wanted to learn to do elk myself, but frankly I just don't have the space/tools/knowledge yet to do so. Plus we hunt near 300 miles from home, and time isn't always on our side. So, 99% of the time its processed, at around .80-1.10 per pound (remember that 600 lbs part?)

My uncles new cabin has a bit out building, and I have been trying to convince him we need to set up a butchering shop in part of it and build a walk in lol. If that was the case I'd HAPPILY learn how to cut the darn things up myself and try to save everyone we hunt with several hundred dollars when they get lucky.

The processor I usually use now, is very good about getting peoples animals back to them. They are not extremely popular, because the "big" guy in town is about 10 minutes away. But, its clean, fast, and better priced then the big guy. And I've never seen a line of 20 animals waiting to get thrown in, so I have more faith that I'm getting MY animal. Plus, he vacuum seals the meat, the "other" guy charges an extra .20 per pound to do that, which brings his total for the giant mixed meat punch bowl up to about 1.35/lbs for an elk. Shoot a really big bull, at 500lbs hanging weight, gutted, skinned, and the legs/head chopped off.....yea, pricey.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Holy cow that's expensive. A couple of the guys at our camp take their animals to a processor in Brantley and they usually spend about 75.00 per animal. Considering the number of deer I try to shoot every year, that's still too expensive for me. I couldn't imagine paying 5 to 6 hundred bucks to have an animal butchered.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Yea but for most mountain state hunters, they aren't shooting 5-12 animals a year, its more like 2-3, and an antelope and/or deer is likely only running around 100$ tops.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    My cousin built a shop on the side of his mountain and process all the visitors and family's deer this year, over 22 animals.
    I din't get to go or he would have processed mine. Last one I got local was processed here for $75.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
    Yeah, lots a difference in a 150 pound deer and a 500 pound elk.