Home Main Category General Firearms

Science! Pulling 62gr & Seating 60gr in a .223 Rem Case!

2»

Replies

• SpkSpk Posts: 4,832 Senior Member
    You did your testing around an hour, hour and a half before sunset or early in the morning? Just wondering.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ZeeZee Posts: 28,388 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    You did your testing around an hour, hour and a half before sunset or early in the morning? Just wondering.
    Evening. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Took my Rancher Friend’s Custom 17” Savage and measured his chamber (1.985” as opposed to the Remington 1.888”) and made some test loads for him as well. Hope to test them tomorrow. 

• JayJay Posts: 4,629 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #35
    You got me thinking... I still have 180 of the 75gr Federal AE rounds in 224 Valk. For $29, I could order a box of 100 Hornady 75gr ELD-M bullets. Pull and reseat and see what happens.... Gotta be better than just pulling the factory FMJ bullets and seating longer and at least (maybe) get 100 rounds of useable ammo.

I finally got my modified case the other day so I can take some measurements. Just haven't had time to get in the man cave and work on it.
    Jay said:
    You got me thinking... I still have 180 of the 75gr Federal AE rounds in 224 Valk. For $29, I could order a box of 100 Hornady 75gr ELD-M bullets. Pull and reseat and see what happens.... Gotta be better than just pulling the factory FMJ bullets and seating longer and at least (maybe) get 100 rounds of useable ammo.

I finally got my modified case the other day so I can take some measurements. Just haven't had time to get in the man cave and work on it.
    Go forth and do.
    edited September 2021 #37
    Bullets ordered..  B)

It'll be a week or so before I get the bullets and get around to messing with them.
    Jay said:
    Bullets ordered..  B)

It'll be a week or so before I get the bullets and get around to messing with them.
    You limiting factor may be Mag length as opposed to chamber length. The first batch I made was for my 700 Tac and the chamber length seat depth wouldn’t allow the rounds to fit in a AR Mag and be used in my Ruger Ranch Rifle. So, I’d have to measure that chamber as well and seat no longer than Mag length. 
    The ones I made for my friend are seated even LONGER than my Remington but still fit in his detachable Mag. 
    I kinda figured that. I'll still measure to the lands and at least know how far off the lands I am at mag length. If I absolutely have to and they seem to be really worth it, I can seat some long and feed them one at a time. But I'd rather stay within mag length for simplicity if they'll shoot.
    My friend’s Savage with the 60gr V-Max seated .005” off the lands. 

Looks good! And pretty consistent, it seems.

I was going to give you a hard time about calling your new Savage your "friends" gun, until I noticed the junk on the stock followed by it being a lefty gun.  So you're safe...  ;)
    Got enough loaded up for the season. Hopefully I’ll get to test the bullet on a deer/pig/yote at some point this fall. 

Nice! Pretty little red rockets...  :open_mouth:
    Definitely interested in seeing your results with those.

I got my box of 75gr ELD-M bullets in earlier this week. I got the bullet puller set up and started to pull one of the 75gr FMJ bullets from the factory ammo, but that's as far as I got at that point. Just set up and ready to pull. I wasn't ready to start seating yet and didn't want to leave them open with powder in them until I got back to them, so I didn't proceed any further. 

Also got my 20 once fired pieces of brass prepped and ready to load with the 88gr ELD-M bullets. Gonna try to get some test loads of both ready this weekend. Unknown if I'll be able to sneak out to test or not.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Posts: 8,609 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #44
    I got of bunch of the 88 grain ELD-M's in and about 700 of the 75 grain ELD-M's in as well-Fun, Fun, Fun!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I git of bunch of the 88 grain ELD-M's in and about 700 of the 75 grain ELD-M's in as well-Fun, Fun, Fun!
    What are you planning to load them in?
    Jay said:
    I git of bunch of the 88 grain ELD-M's in and about 700 of the 75 grain ELD-M's in as well-Fun, Fun, Fun!

A couple of 22 Creed's, and two 22GT's for the 88's.
    Two bolt pistol's in 223 Remington (7T and a 7.7T) for the 75's once my 77 grain TMK's dry up
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 5,405 Senior Member
    When you pull the original bullet to you weigh the charge for consistency before loading it back into the case?

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

My guess is he is doing load development:
    Trying different powder charges and then tweaking seat depth (which is what he was showing today).
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Jay said:

Two bolt pistol's in 223 Remington (7T and a 7.7T) for the 75's once my 77 grain TMK's dry up
    Nice. We might be somewhere in the same ballpark velocity wise, depending on barrel lengths, with your Creeds probably getting a bit faster than my Valk with the 88s. I'm looking to try to get around 26-2700 with the 88s and maybe touch 3000 with the 75s with my 24" barrel. But just ballparking it. The chrono will tell the rest of the story.
    I do have 15.5" valk in a G-2 barrel as well.....
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I do have 15.5" valk in a G-2 barrel as well.....
    Sweet. I think I remembered you mentioning that as an idea in a thread at one time. Didn't know you had got one. I'd love to see how that works for you. I can say I'm not completely in love with the cartridge at this point. But it's growing on me and is kindof a neat little cartridge. Those long, sleek 88s did make me grin a little...
    I got of bunch of the 88 grain ELD-M's in and about 700 of the 75 grain ELD-M's in as well-Fun, Fun, Fun!
    What are you putting them in?
    Jay said:

Disregard my above question. But, who the hell makes a 7.7” twist .224 cal barrel and why the hell would they do that?!?!?
    75's are for two fast twist 223 Remington SP's
    88's are for the 22 Creed and two 22 GT's.
    One will be a center-grip XP-100, and the other is a rear grip SP with a chassis.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zee said:
    Jay said:

Disregard my above question. But, who the hell makes a 7.7” twist .224 cal barrel and why the hell would they do that?!?!?

Bartlein if I remember correctly
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    When you pull the original bullet to you weigh the charge for consistency before loading it back into the case?
    No. Call it “in good faith”. Call it “lazy”. 
    I dump the powder, size and prep the case, and pour the powder back in. A .3ish” group from the rifle makes it not worth my time
    for basically free ammo minus the component bullet. 
    Zee said:
    Jay said:

Bartlein if I remember correctly
    Elvis has left the building. 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 5,405 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    No. Call it “in good faith”. Call it “lazy”. 
    I dump the powder, size and prep the case, and pour the powder back in. A .3ish” group from the rifle makes it not worth my time
    for basically free ammo minus the component bullet. 
    👍👍

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎