Home Main Category General Firearms

Notably accurate rifle you own or have owned

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,616 Senior Member
Probably get some BR posts here and I look forward to that.  My most accurate rifles in a 5-shot drill were a Model 700 in .243, blueprinted with a good stock.  It was as accurate as I could shoot it.  I put a 20x Weaver scope on it for 100 yards (the long as my range will allow) and it could stack them in.  For a target, I took those reinforcing rings for loose-leaf notebooks and stuck them on the target.  Worked well with the 20x and I could hold on the center of the ring.

Second, remarkably was a Colt AR 15.  Not a BR gun but I could get a .25" group with GMM ammo.  I wish I'd kept it but I didn't. 

What are your bragging rights guns?
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,561 Senior Member
    I have too many to mention when I actually do my job at the reloading and shooting bench. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I had an older Ruger 77 bull barrel in 243win that was a laser.

Another bull barrel rifle was a Rem 700 bdl in 22-250. Also very accurate. I had a 36× scope on that one.

One I had with a regular sporter weight tube was an old Rem 700 in 270win. Very accurate. Had a B&C stock. Right after I put the stock on, the range officer where I sighted it in thought it was a custom rifle. My Dad has it now. Keeps all the holes close together even today.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,415 Senior Member
    Yes. A 308 Remington Sps varmint. First target at 100 yards. Second was 20 straight at 600 no sighters no pullers. We didn’t have anyone in the pits to make adjustments from. We read the winds and shot no easy feat in Cheyenne Wyoming….. the 600 target is a standard F- class target 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,930 Senior Member
    The one that I have shot the smallest group with is a sporterized Arisaka Type 38 in 6.5x257. This is a 1960s sporter done by a gunsmith out of Los Angeles. 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I have too many to mention when I actually do my job at the reloading and shooting bench. 

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    The Savage Sisters...10FP in .308 and a 110FP in .300 Win. Mag...both are sub-MOA shooters...

In the realm of gas guns...my Stag Arms Hunter in 6.8 SPC...is the most accurate of the bunch with the right,ammo...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Elk creek said:
    Yes. A 308 Remington Sps varmint. First target at 100 yards. Second was 20 straight at 600 no sighters no pullers. We didn’t have anyone in the pits to make adjustments from. We read the winds and shot no easy feat in Cheyenne Wyoming….. the 600 target is a standard F- class target 

I am just loving your 20-shot "Blind" group at 600 yards with a factory Remington-Outstanding!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Elk creek said:

I am just loving your 20-shot "Blind" group at 600 yards with a factory Remington-Outstanding!
    Thank Ernie! That was a ton of fun, and nerve racking. 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,233 Senior Member
    The .308 Zee’s mentor built for me.  Boringly accurate wit factory match ammo.  It started life as a Remington 40X and got torn to pieces, all parts trued, reassembled break installed and bedded onto current stock.  It sports Surgeon bottom metal AI mags and Leupold Mark 4 LR 4.5-15 with mil reticle.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    The .308 Zee’s mentor built for me.  Boringly accurate wit factory match ammo.  It started life as a Remington 40X and got torn to pieces, all parts trued, reassembled break installed and bedded onto current stock.  It sports Surgeon bottom metal AI mags and Leupold Mark 4 LR 4.5-15 with mil reticle.

You can get a XP-100 built that will shoot that good as well too o:)
    I could have resisted, but I didn't want to :D
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Very functional sling set-up as well
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

You can get a XP-100 built that will shoot that good as well too o:)
    I could have resisted, but I didn't want to :D
    No need to resist.  That plan is fest..  aaaah, stewing in my head…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,090 Senior Member
    That's what a bug holes supposed to look like Paul.

Hope you kept that gun.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,369 Senior Member
    Interesting. I probably have guns that can be my most accurate. I just haven't completely got into the load work on them. Off the top of my head, my most accurate right now is a Stevens 200 (Savage 10 w/o accutrigger) in 243 Win. But it will only hold 3 round groups. It is a pencil barrel, synthetic stock and doesn't seem to like heat at all. It'll hold .2-.3 for 3 round groups, but almost always opens it up to about an inch with the 4th round. Let it cool and it'll go right back to .2.

But probably my most accurate gun is not a rifle. It's my TC Encore, 10" heave barrel from Match Grade Machine in 22LR with a Stratton Custom offset firing pin for rimfire ability. It's range is held back due to the limitations of the cartridge, but it is accurate within it's ability and I can easily ring steel at 300 yards with it.

Thanks knitepoet! He ran my group through his program…..dang 

Two cold bore shots from my FN Mauser .270
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,396 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Yep.  Got pretty good at the loading and tuning over the years.  Happiest surprise was the Ruger Scout.  Didn't buy it to be a bughole rifle.  Doesn't NEED to be a bughole rifle.  It's a bughole rifle.

Not surprising but hugely satisfying was a Miroku/Browning 1885 Winchester in .32-40 that I bird-dogged my Dad into.  Probably our most accurate cast bullet gun:

That's with a tang/globe sight combo, a mold custom-cut off a chamber casting, and a load thrown together to fully form the brass.  Very pleasant, that one.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    BTW I believe most rimfire rifles are capable of outstanding accuracy beyond what their owners even realize, and the reason I manage to get it so easily is that I adjust the parallax of every scope I put on a .22 down to typical .22 shooting distances so I take that variable out.  Even my bone stock stainless 10/22 is a one hole gun with bulk ammo.

Group shot with cheap REM Thunderbolts topped with a Bushnell Sportsview with parallax adjusted for 25 yards.

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    How many of you typically group your 22lr at 50 and 100 yards?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #22
    .243 M70 CRF in a NOS walnut stock with a thin barrel with a 4-12 Redfield scope.  Good for about three rounds before it gets very hot. 85gr InterBond at about 3140 FPS.

.35 Whelen M98 with an Adams and Bennett barrel, 3-9 Redfield scope, hunting rifle.  First time doing more than a 3 shot group with it.  The flyer  was the 6th shot.  250gr InterLock at 2550 FPS.

How many of you typically group your 22lr at 50 and 100 yards?
    I do 25 or maybe 50 to asses actual accuracy potential for a rule/ammo.  I think at 100 there are usually too many factors like wind, parallax (I set my scopes for rimfire rifle to be parallax free at 25-50 yards which is where I think I’m most probably be using them) etc that will not allow a perfectly true result.  So only if I have a perfect ZERO wind day (real hard to come by) will I look to try to group a .22 at 100 yards.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Just curious. 
    Most of the time when I shoot my scoped 22lr specialty pistols it is at 100 yards.
    I have a CZ bolt action rear-grip 22lr as well.
    Am I not supposed to say that on this forum?
    Something about a Coke can???
    I just had a customer attend an air rifle 100 yard benchrest match-Score Game.
    I let him borrow my MINI-X6.
    Multiple bulls on one target.
    The X-Ring is smaller than 1/2" MOA.
    10 Ring is 1MOA (Approx an inch at 100 yards).
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited September 2021 #25
    I don't use supersonic 22lr ammo in my 22lr's for shooting beyond 100 yards
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    BTW I did not mean to imply I do not shoot my 22s any farther.  Just that usually for shooting groups or to sight in guns I’ll stay at the 25 or 50 yard ranges.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    I didn't take it that way.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    knitepoet said:
    Not surprised, assuming that is why I started my posy with, "Ernie, I suspect you know this..."
    ;)

I knew you wouldn't be.
    Furthest I have grouped a 22lr is at 500 yards so far...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    knitepoet said:
    Not surprised, assuming that is why I started my posy with, "Ernie, I suspect you know this..."
    ;)

I knew you wouldn't be.
    Furthest I have grouped a 22lr is at 500 yards so far...
    Damn!!!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited September 2021 #30

Had Miles spotting for me that day 
    Doesn’t Zee say, “If you can see it, you can hit it!”
    Spelled Miles wrong :)  Fixed it
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Had Myles spotting for me that day 
    Doesn’t Zee say, “If you can see it, you can hit it!”