Home Main Category Hunting

Picking favorite kids…. By force…

Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,278 Senior Member
House is now under contract so the search begins.  Plan is to head out next week to see what’s what and at least narrow it down to an area of focus.

With the crazy real estate prices I decided that unless something really good comes along we’re probably going to try to rent a place for a few months to get our bearings, then make decisions.  Seems like prices are already starting to level and even come down in the region.

Anyway…  That’s a long way of saying most of my stuff will probably go into storage short term.

So I have to carve out a small set of guns to get me through the winter hunting months.  This will be a ROYAL PIA!!!  

The Marlin 39 .22 and the ‘94 32-20 will stay with me, they kind’a seem to fit the theme of my life change and it would be fun to take some game with them.

Maybe the Winchester 88?  Not a lot is more versatile than a scoped .308.  I’m thinking the .35 Whelen might stay with me too since bear might be on the schedule.  Maybe a .243 and a 12 ga to round the battery out.

God I hate making these choices…
I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    There's always slips of paper drawn from a hat well blindfolded.
    :-) 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,278 Senior Member
    Ha!  With my luck I’ll end up with the 58 Hawken and a .38 Snubnose… 🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,296 Senior Member
    We would all be down to those if this administration had their way.....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited September 2021 #5
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Yep…

I’m trying to think, do I really need a .243?  It’s really in the mix because it has not been bloodied but then again I have a bunch that have not been either.  The FN .270 is a shooter for sure and I’ve become fond of that gun because of the darn groups it shoots.  AND, they’ll be lots of squirrels around 😎
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,699 Senior Member
    Gotta keep the .270..... The granddaughter may want to shoot.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio said:
    Gotta keep the .270..... The granddaughter may want to shoot.
    There is that… 🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Yep…

I’m trying to think, do I really need a .243?  It’s really in the mix because it has not been bloodied but then again I have a bunch that have not been either.  The FN .270 is a shooter for sure and I’ve become fond of that gun because of the darn groups it shoots.  AND, they’ll be lots of squirrels around 😎
    Oh I don’t have to be that ruthless.  I figure about 4-6 long guns and the same number of handguns and everything else will go into storage…. For now.  They won’t be completely out of my grasp, just not as convenient as a short walk to a safe inside my house.   Maybe…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,580 Senior Member
    Hell, I don’t even know what guns you have anymore!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    All the important ones… 😁
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    But still too many duplicates and overlaps…. When you spend more time deciding which .22 rifle you want to take to the range than actually shooting I think it might be an issue?  Don’t know.  

This having to select a small subset of guns has given me thinking time again…. That’s good.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,198 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Not not sure he does either
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Zee said:
    Not not sure he does either
    Oh YES I DO!!!  Mostly...  :disappointed:

The ones that have left are gone because for the life of me I can't figure out why I bought them in the first place besides, good deal or pretty...  Or some because I just got scared of shooting them because they were worth too much as collectibles and if they broke I couldn't find parts to fix them anymore and they were not meaningful enough to me to become heirlooms for my kids.  Or because I just. had to many guns overlapping for the same purpose, for example my Custom Calebib .44 mag Mountain Gun and my Custom Justsomedude 6" 44 mag light barreled guns stayed and always will.  So the Ruger SBH and the Colt Anaconda, gone...  Brought good money, I had absolutely NO attachment to them so they were expendable.  Fun to own them, now they are fun for someone else.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    @Wambli Ska  do you still have that  22 revolver that looked beat up?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    @Wambli Ska  do you still have that  22 revolver that looked beat up?
    Yep, a pre-18 and the companion 6" pre-17 I picked up I think 2 years ago.  That sucker was one of the best deals I've ever gotten.  Someone offered me $600 for it last time I took it out the range and I turned it down.  He probably would have gone higher but I said, not for sale.  What did I give the guy $250-$275?
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Swap in the 7mm08 for the 243.
    You can thank me later........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Yea maybe even an odd number like 227 out the door 
    BigDan snagged a nice rifle cheap that day too 
    Diver43 said:
    Yea maybe even an odd number like 227 out the door 
    BigDan snagged a nice rifle cheap that day too 
    A really nice Howa if I remember correctly!!!   That was a good day!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    orchidman said:
    Swap in the 7mm08 for the 243.
    You can thank me later........
    My Kimber 7mm-08 has taken most if the game I’ve put down and it’s my favorite all around chambering.  It has always been my go to gun so I want to bloody others, but I do have a stainless Remington BDL in 7mm-08 that needs attention and that one will be my do everything in crappy weather gun.  It’s a sub .5 MOA gun!  So yeah that one is part of the set.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,410 Senior Member
    Not complicated:

You need an area-appropriate deer rifle, which can probably also be the bear rifle.

If you're bringing small folk along, or varmint hunting, bring a .243.

You need a shotgun.

And you need a .22.  This last one of course gets dicey because you need your open sight .22, your scoped .22, your precision .22, your autoloading .22, your nostalgia .22. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Oh I know what I need.  The issue is deciding which ones…  :#
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,410 Senior Member
    OK.  You're hunting a new area, and hunting to escape the stress of learning the new area, and for the short term, can only do this with a limited arsenal.

What then, are your Terminators?  The high-confidence, can't-miss, always-works items?  You can dink around with "Gee, I'd really like to blood this thing" later.  Right now, you need Linus' Security Blanket. . .of Death. :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    OK.  You're hunting a new area, and hunting to escape the stress of learning the new area, and for the short term, can only do this with a limited arsenal.

What then, are your Terminators?  The high-confidence, can't-miss, always-works items?  You can dink around with "Gee, I'd really like to blood this thing" later.  Right now, you need Linus' Security Blanket. . .of Death. :D
    He hasn’t killed anything in darn near a decade or more!!!  What he needs are training wheels!!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:

He hasn’t killed anything in darn near a decade or more!!!  What he needs are training wheels!!

I'll chip in $5 for a refresher hunts course.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Yes ‘cause I’ve forgotten everything I knew about hunting…  😒
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,007 Senior Member
    There is nothing furry you cannot hunt with a 243 where you are going. Ground hogs to bear.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    There is nothing furry you cannot hunt with a 243 where you are going. Ground hogs to bear.
    That is true, but since I expect multiple hunting opportunities it’d be nice to have some variety…. Or I’ll be tempted to just go out and buy more crap 🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Yes ‘cause I’ve forgotten everything I knew about hunting…  😒
    Well, you ARE old. 😁
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,533 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:

Score one for Zee!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I vote the .35 Whelen, scoped S&W .44 Mag, a .357 Mag revolver if you have one, don’t care about which shotgun or .22lr. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,058 Senior Member
    Send 'em down here to me - I'll store 'em for you! ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(