Home Main Category Hunting

Picking favorite kids…. By force…

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,278 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Yes ‘cause I’ve forgotten everything I knew about hunting…  😒
    Well, you ARE old. 😁
    Mind still as sharp as ever, though that was never a high bar  :#

Besides every year that goes by you're just catching up to me.  I've seen pictures buddy, there's a crease or two on you I don't remember from years back  :D
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:
    OK.  You're hunting a new area, and hunting to escape the stress of learning the new area, and for the short term, can only do this with a limited arsenal.

What then, are your Terminators?  The high-confidence, can't-miss, always-works items?  You can dink around with "Gee, I'd really like to blood this thing" later.  Right now, you need Linus' Security Blanket. . .of Death. :D
    He hasn’t killed anything in darn near a decade or more!!!  What he needs are training wheels!!

Score one for Zee!
    Before that there were several years that I killed more deer than some here have killed in their whole lifetime... Just a quick sanity check...  B)
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,580 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #34
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:
    OK.  You're hunting a new area, and hunting to escape the stress of learning the new area, and for the short term, can only do this with a limited arsenal.

What then, are your Terminators?  The high-confidence, can't-miss, always-works items?  You can dink around with "Gee, I'd really like to blood this thing" later.  Right now, you need Linus' Security Blanket. . .of Death. :D
    He hasn’t killed anything in darn near a decade or more!!!  What he needs are training wheels!!

Score one for Zee!
    Before that there were several years that I killed more deer than some here have killed in their whole lifetime... Just a quick sanity check...  B)
    That could mean as little as 1. 😎
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Well, you ARE old. 😁

Besides every year that goes by you're just catching up to me.  I've seen pictures buddy, there's a crease or two on you I don't remember from years back  :D
    More than two, unfortunately. But the good news, I’ll never catch up to you in age. 
    Zee said:
    Zee said:
    Well, you ARE old. 😁

More than two, unfortunately. But the good news, I’ll never catch up to you in age. 
    Yeah but you’ll find out soon the difference gets more insignificant every year, and BTW you’ve been “rode hard and put away wet” a bit more than I ever will.  Just sayin’ 🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Zee said:
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:

Score one for Zee!
    That could mean as little as 1. 😎
    True… 🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited September 2021 #38
    Zee said:
    Zee said:
    Well, you ARE old. 😁

Yeah but you’ll find out soon the difference gets more insignificant every year, and BTW you’ve been “rode hard and put away wet” a bit more than I ever will.  Just sayin’ 🤣
    Unfortunately, the creases aren’t even all in places that I can say LOOK cool!!!  😳

Some are, “Yeah I get it. I’m older.”
    Others are,”The Hell did THAT come from?!?”
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,298 Senior Member
    If it was me and from what I've read on the thread only, with no knowledge of what else you have
    I keep with me.
     Pistol/Revolver of choice, maybe two
    7mm 08
    35 Whelen
     Auto or Pump Shotgun 

There's nothing than can't be done with those, I'd even think hard about including the 7mm.
    If I kept it I'd run 120gr 

Anything else is merely want in the situation.

The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    Zee said:
    Zee said:
    Zee said:
    Well, you ARE old. 😁

Unfortunately, the creases aren’t even all in places that I can say LOOK cool!!!  😳

Some are, “Yeah I get it. I’m older.”
    Others are,”The Hell did THAT come from?!?”
    Welcome to middleagehood, a neighborhood you don’t move into, you just wake up one morning and find yourself at your new address…  😎
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,296 Senior Member
    Keep the common rifle calibers handy, store the less common or rare. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,410 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I hear that you're only as old as you feel.  In that case, I think I'm about 97.

Has anybody else seen the current AARP commercial with the statement "people today could spend half their lives over 50", and reacted with "Oh crap!" ?

On another forum, somebody asked what people were going to build as their retirement rifle.  I responded with:

A later Martini-Henry action with the long lever (so my feeble arms can open it). . .

Chambered in .22 Short (so I can handle the recoil). . .

With a custom-cut breech block / loading ramp (so I can find the chamber). . .

and a carbon-fiber wrapped barrel (so I can lift it). . .

a 36X Benchrest scope (to make the target perceptible, and also to make the tiny Cape buffalo silhouettes I'll be shooting look life-size)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    knitepoet said:
    Me

Yeah that…. Well body is still in reasonably good shape…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Keep the common rifle calibers handy, store the less common or rare. 
    That’s sensible advice!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,985 Senior Member
    I'd toss a coin between the .308 and the .270, possibly even leaning towards the .270. Even during the ammo panic, that's a somewhat popular cartridge that didn't get scooped up by the semi-auto crowd.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    I'd toss a coin between the .308 and the .270, possibly even leaning towards the .270. Even during the ammo panic, that's a somewhat popular cartridge that didn't get scooped up by the semi-auto crowd.
    That’s a good point and the .270 has proven to be exceptionally accurate too.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,007 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Me

Another year or two and you get reminded every morning that you arent dead. Dead isnt supposed to hurt.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    There is nothing furry you cannot hunt with a 243 where you are going. Ground hogs to bear.
    That is true, but since I expect multiple hunting opportunities it’d be nice to have some variety…. Or I’ll be tempted to just go out and buy more crap 🤣

Well, if you take the same rifle out to those opportunities, you will have variety. Pick up rifle, go (operative word here) and hunt X. Pick up rifle, go (operative word here) and hunt Y.
    Variety is the spice of life, however you can use the same handle to open the door on the spice cabinet.

Besides, you are downsizing.....
    edited September 2021 #49
    There is nothing furry you cannot hunt with a 243 where you are going. Ground hogs to bear.
    That is true, but since I expect multiple hunting opportunities it’d be nice to have some variety…. Or I’ll be tempted to just go out and buy more crap 🤣

Well, if you take the same rifle out to those opportunities, you will have variety. Pick up rifle, go (operative word here) and hunt X. Pick up rifle, go (operative word here) and hunt Y.
    Variety is the spice of life, however you can use the same handle to open the door on the spice cabinet.

I'm changing that word out for a more appropriate one.  I'm refining my collection.  B)

And since I don't have to hunt to eat the killing of an animal is almost incidental to the pleasure I get from being out in the woods with a gun, so I don't need/want to deny myself the pleasure of taking multiple guns for walks in the woods this year.  I've killed enough stuff in my life that the greater pleasure is the hunt, not the kill.  

An old friend/mentor of mine caught that sentiment in a short statement when he told me years ago, "All the fun in hunting ends when you pull the trigger.".  Every time I find dress and drag a deer I think of him...  

I'm not quite there yet but as I get older I understand that feeling more.  I can see a time in the future (maybe a decade or so down the road), when I'll be very happy just catching a nap with my gun in a tree stand away from all humans...

BTW this thread is now null and void, the house I found has enough room that no guns will be going into storage this winter.  B)
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member

BTW this thread is now null and void, the house I found has enough room that no guns will be going into storage this winter.  B)

But, does it have enough room for more guns..........just wondering..........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:

But, does it have enough room for more guns..........just wondering..........
    Yep…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,933 Senior Member
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,533 Senior Member
    An old friend/mentor of mine caught that sentiment in a short statement when he told me years ago, "All the fun in hunting ends when you pull the trigger.".  Every time I find dress and drag a deer I think of him... 
    How far do you typically drag a deer?

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    How far do you typically drag a deer?

Depends, I’ve had to as far as a few hundred yards and it sucked.  When I had my own land I had it down to no dragging, but I had to float one out of a swamp in Georgia and that one was… an adventure?
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

This. I'm even considering ditching the 7mm Rem Mag and hunting exclusively with my 7mm08 unless I get the opportunity for something like moose or bear. For my hunting desires, and personal limit on shooting distance, the 7mm08 (.270 or .308 in your case for this argument) will ethically kill whatever I want when I'm on my game. As I proved with my elk last season.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,533 Senior Member
    I have killed quite a few elk, both Cow and Bull, with a 7mm-08 rifle performance. 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I have killed quite a few elk, both Cow and Bull, with a 7mm-08 rifle performance. 
    7mm-08 has always been a favorite of mine and I have killed more deer than I can even think off with that round and never lost one.  Just about all of them were DRT kills.

I probably have 10 excellent rifles in one safe right now from .243 to .375 H&H (I know it's more but I'm too lazy to do a mental count so let's go with a nice round number) and any of them with a well placed shot will kill anything I need killed in NA.  But I would have absolutely NO fun if I only used one every time I go out.  Yes, at times it feels odd having to pause to decide which rifle, pistol, knife, backpack, whatever I want to carry today but I have a lot of fun just owning them so there is that.  And they all put a smile on my face for different reasons.

I know some folks view guns as just tools anda handful of good ones is all they need, and just about anything will do at the end of the day because, tools.  I get that and it's quite Ok.

Me?  Even if I didn't hunt at all I'd still own a bunch of hunting rifles just because, well, I love guns.  Hunting is almost my excuse for owning many of the guns I own.  I LOVE the outdoors.  I LOVE being by myself for long periods of time and I DO love LOVE hunting.  That would be the scouting, learning all about and then outsmarting my quarry.  I love the success when I down an animal, and I LOVE eating the game meat I harvest.  I just don't enjoy the process between pulling the trigger and putting the meat on the grill.  It's just a necessary evil in my book and a part of the experience I need to get through.

But again, to me it's more about the guns and my time in the field by myself or with good friends, than anything else.  
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Zee said:
    I vote the .35 Whelen, scoped S&W .44 Mag, a .357 Mag revolver if you have one, don’t care about which shotgun or .22lr. 
    BTW, that was basically my original list with the addition of the 7mm-08 Remington Stainless BDL for crappy weather.  Not that it's important anymore but I thought that would have been a good set of guns.

The shotgun was going to be my Weatherby Orion O/U and the .22 was going to be...  A HUGE PROBLEM picking one because I have so many I love.  Probably my CZ 452 American....
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited September 2021 #59

This. I'm even considering ditching the 7mm Rem Mag and hunting exclusively with my 7mm08 unless I get the opportunity for something like moose or bear. For my hunting desires, and personal limit on shooting distance, the 7mm08 (.270 or .308 in your case for this argument) will ethically kill whatever I want when I'm on my game. As I proved with my elk last season.
    And I'm lusting after a 7mm RM for absolutely NO REASON at all.  Have my eye on two Remington 700s at my partner's gun store.  The idea is having another relatively light weight (I want to keep it sub 8lbs like my Whelen) all weather rifle for shooting slightly heavier 7mm projectiles that I will hand load and I've been collecting a bunch of once fired 7mm RM brass at the range.  NOT That I need it at all, but I have a spare VX3 3.5-10 waiting for that rifle to crawl under it.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

And I'm lusting after a 7mm RM for absolutely NO REASON at all.  Have my eye on two Remington 700s at my partner's gun store.  The idea is having another relatively light weight (I want to keep it sub 8lbs like my Whelen) all weather rifle for shooting slightly heavier 7mm projectiles that I will hand load and I've been collecting a bunch of once fired 7mm RM brass at the range.  NOT That I need it at all, but I have a spare VX3 3.5-10 waiting for that rifle to crawl under it.
    The 7mm Rem Mag is one of the best do-all North American rounds, IMO. In many ways I consider it better than the .30-06. You really can't go wrong. I just question if I'll ever be the guy that takes a 600 yard shot on game, when the 7mm08 is perfectly capable of ethically taking an elk out to 400 and change.

Now, dont get me wrong, I see no reason to hold yourself to one rifle, unless you are put in the position where you can only access a single one. For a long time now, I have been on a quest to take something different out and score with it. I have taken deer with 2 different flintlocks during the regular firearms deer season and the flintlock season, a 32 spl I rebuilt, a bone stock 1903, and others. I have also gotten to watch my family take deer with varied rifles that I have either gifted to them or built for them and loaded for all of them. However, if I had to put up all of them save one for a short period of time, I am completely comfortable with making that decision.
    For a lot of years I had only one.