Home Main Category Clubhouse

Rancher getting ready for hunting season

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,273 Senior Member
This cracked me up!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 1,240 Senior Member
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    I used to keep all the horses in the barn opening morning every year.  Even though it was my land you just don’t know.  I found more “lost” hunters than I’d ever care to remember.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,687 Senior Member
    You laugh at that, but that is 100% true in some areas.  My best friend used to be a guide at one of the largest game ranches in Texas (the 777 Ranch, if anyone knows the area).  He had a client tell him about seeing that on a guided hunt in Upstate NY.  Sun comes up, and the hunter and the guide are looking over a field of cows.... that all are spraypainted "COW' on each flank.  The hunter looks at the guide with the much understood look of "What the Hell?" on his face.

Guide explains that a lot of fist time hunters from the big cities come out and shoot a cow before a guide can stop them.  Instead of spending a few hundred on a deer, they would end up spending several thousand on an old dairy cow.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 647 Senior Member
    We stopped letting people bird hunt near the feed lot a long time ago we never had any cattle killed but it never failed there would be a break out every weekend when hunters were around. 

Funny story from around here a coastie paid a rancher north of here a pretty good sum to shoot a cow. I guess he just wanted to shoot something and hadn’t been successful for many years deer hunting. They shot   a steer and called the mobile butcher and both left happy. 
    You laugh at that, but that is 100% true in some areas.  My best friend used to be a guide at one of the largest game ranches in Texas (the 777 Ranch, if anyone knows the area).  He had a client tell him about seeing that on a guided hunt in Upstate NY.  Sun comes up, and the hunter and the guide are looking over a field of cows.... that all are spraypainted "COW' on each flank.  The hunter looks at the guide with the much understood look of "What the Hell?" on his face.

Guide explains that a lot of fist time hunters from the big cities come out and shoot a cow before a guide can stop them.  Instead of spending a few hundred on a deer, they would end up spending several thousand on an old dairy cow.
    New York City hunters are well known for their battle cry: "If it's brown it's down!"
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,536 Senior Member
    When JerryBobCo and I were hunting elk in the FlatTops, a gray horse teathered to an Aspen got shot. Not kidding. I think it was intentional though.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,090 Senior Member
    I’ve actually SEEN it!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,424 Senior Member
    edited September 11 #9
    I worked at a tagging station (gas station) when I was a teen. Had an old man try to tag in a goat.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,424 Senior Member
    Also had a kid tag in a big buck in the back of a homemade flat bed truck during bow season. Tried to roll it over to take a picture and the arrow was stuck in the wood in the bed of the truck....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,273 Senior Member
    the the dangest thing my buddy and ever saw at a game check station was a guy checking in a buzzard as a Turkey. Nobody, not even the game warden who happened to be there had the heart to tell him what he actually shot. He was so excited telling everyone about the hunt. Folks just patted him on the back and said “good eating”

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,674 Senior Member
    Deer season, Utah, late 70s...we're at a deer check station near the state border with Nevada...the game wardens are talking with this guy with CA plates on his truck.
    "When dis you shoot this deer?
    " A few days ago"
    " Why didn't you gut it?"
    " My cousin is a butcher and he told me not to do anything...just bring it back..."
    "Sir, we can't let you take this thing out of the state...it's rotting!"
    "But...But..."

Ultimately they gave the guy a shovel and had him drag the nasty thing out into the desert and bury it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    jbp-ohio said:
    Also had a kid tag in a big buck in the back of a homemade flat bed truck during bow season. Tried to roll it over to take a picture and the arrow was stuck in the wood in the bed of the truck....
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    One morning I heard a ton of shots coming from the property next to mine where a group of guys from NYC would come every year just for opening day.  It was a 30 acre piece of land but they would cram in 10-14 guys and they weren’t very respectful of my Posted signs so the first two years I had to throw several of them off my land instead of hunting myself until they “got it”.

Usually opening morning was like the Tet offensive with shots ringing out in sets of 4-10 but no deer ever getting hit.  I was once again policing my land boundary when all the shots rang out and all of a sudden I see a NICE huge doe moving swiftly about 50 yards away on my property downhill from one of my stands and she was coming from their property.  

I lead her a little bit and put her down with one heart shot.  As I walked down to her 2 of the “neighbors” show up on my kill and as I approached they tell me they’re getting “their deer” off my land.  When I told them they were NOT taking MY deer they were highly disturbed.  

Somehow or other they thought that their rain of poorly aimed lead had miraculously ended up with ONE perfect heart shot.  They only left after I said to them the “discussion” was over and that I was calling the local game warden, who they knew HATED them, to settle the argument and get them arrested for trespassing on my land.  I didn’t turn my back on them until they were well on their way.

My neighbor on the other side of this property was so fed up with them that he made the owner of the property an offer he couldn’t refuse and bought the land and annexed it to his.  

About a week after they closed on the sale I got a call from one of the “hunters” telling me their uncle had sold the land and would it be ok if the hunted mine.  Somehow or other they were shocked when I told him there was NO chance in hell!!!  

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 161 Member
    Quite a few years back a rancher in the Midwest and close family friend lost 2 beefalo calves. It happens
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,602 Senior Member
    edited September 12 #16
    A friend of mine who was living in Illinois at the time was renting a cabin on a farmers farm.
    He was woken up in the middle of the night by a "hunter" asking him to help load a deer into his pick up truck.
    When he got to where the hunter said the deer was down, He found the hunter holding a donkeys rear legs and the hunter asking him to grab the front and throw it in the pick up.
    he told him he need you to go talk to the farmer.😂
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 504 Senior Member
    the the dangest thing my buddy and ever saw at a game check station was a guy checking in a buzzard as a Turkey. Nobody, not even the game warden who happened to be there had the heart to tell him what he actually shot. He was so excited telling everyone about the hunt. Folks just patted him on the back and said “good eating”
    A few decades back, the DNR was restoring the turkey population in Michigan, and there was a very limited hunting season with a lottery to draw a kill tag.  A guy from downstate, who did not have a license, shot one and headed home with it.

He was pulled over heading south on I-75, and was surprised at being stopped as he was doing the speed limit.  The trooper asked him to exit his vehicle and open the trunk, explaining that the DNR had been putting trackers on the turkeys, and they got suspicious when they saw on the telemetry that one was heading south at 55 mph.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 634 Senior Member

I used to think that this sort of stories could only happen in cartoons...
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,848 Senior Member
    They graze on public land here. Ranchers pay for it. Bovines leave a mess in a camp. Bow hunters saw me shooing them out of my camp with a broom. They had rubber tipped arrows. Those worked good. 
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 552 Senior Member
    I help my buddy take care of his 300 acres and the first day is usually shot because of an idiot that will drive up the creekbed  to avoid the gate then park and block the driveway at the 2nd gate so we can't get in or out these people will lie one told the owner that he had permission and that he wasn't the owner I've seen my buddy shoot at one who said that he liked the spot and we couldn't keep him from hunting after 3 warnings my buddy shot the tree he was standing against about 3 inches above his head we never saw him again but its a shame that on this property there is no confusion that you are trespassing but they do it every year it gets better after the first day 
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,673 Senior Member
    Growing up it was bear season. One neighbor raised black angry cattle and had a citidiot drop one and try to get help getting it out. Police were called, game commission were called. He went from real proud to owning expensive beef pretty quick.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,414 Senior Member
    gunner81 said:
    I help my buddy take care of his 300 acres and the first day is usually shot because of an idiot that will drive up the creekbed  to avoid the gate then park and block the driveway at the 2nd gate so we can't get in or out these people will lie one told the owner that he had permission and that he wasn't the owner I've seen my buddy shoot at one who said that he liked the spot and we couldn't keep him from hunting after 3 warnings my buddy shot the tree he was standing against about 3 inches above his head we never saw him again but its a shame that on this property there is no confusion that you are trespassing but they do it every year it gets better after the first day 
    Uhhhh, I'd suggest finding a different buddy if that one isn't already in jail...
    JKP said:
    gunner81 said:
    Uhhhh, I'd suggest finding a different buddy if that one isn't already in jail...
    I’ve never shot in the direction of anyone but after calling out a trespasser several times and him not answering I dismounted my horse and walked right over to his brand new ATV and put a .45 Colt slug into the ground by a tire and yelled out “The next one is going into the engine block.”  Amazing how quickly he reacquired his hearing.

Not only did he try to tell me he had permission from the owner (that would have been me), but when I told him he didn’t, he actually asked me if he could just hunt the rest of the day!!!!!

The balls…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,273 Senior Member
    edited September 30 #24
    I think it was the mid 80's.  My buddies and I had been hunting my aunts 400 acre farm for five or six years.  We all had signed permission slips from Aunt to hunt.  I had a cousin who could be a hot head and very unstable and unpredictable.  He didn't live on the farm and I rarely saw him at family functions.  I was walking back from my deer stand for lunch I think when I heard shooting up where we parked and a bunch of yelling and screaming.  My buddies brother was yelling stop shooting I have permission to be here.  I ran to where we parked the truck, my cousin was shooting at my buddies feet screaming at him.  I started yelling at my cousin and he turned to see me.  When I got up to him I started screaming have you lost your mind, we all have permission to hunt.  He told us we were all trespassing.  We all showed him our permission slips signed from his mom.  He swore she didn't have the right to grant those.  My cousin continued to yell and scream at us, jumped in his truck and drove off.

I called my mom and explained what went on.  She called her sister that evening. My mom called me back and told me to call my aunt.  My aunt apologized and told me my cousin called her and demanded she kick us all off the farm and stated he did not shoot at anyone.  My aunt informed him he doesn't own the farm, she did!   As long as we wanted to hunt we could.  I told her he shot at my friends feet many times.  She said she knew when he brought up he didn't shoot at someone out of the nowhere he probably had.  She let me know there would be no more issues with him and for us to please not press charges.  We didn't as it was a family thing that almost got way out of control.  We decided to leave it alone.  We never saw him again out there for the next few years or so before she sold the farm.

That was a scary situation that could have gone really badly in a number of ways!

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,687 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    gunner81 said:

Not only did he try to tell me he had permission from the owner (that would have been me), but when I told him he didn’t, he actually asked me if he could just hunt the rest of the day!!!!!

The balls…
    A buddy of mine has a family ranch north of Paris, TX right on the Red River.  On the property is a ghost town that is a former ferry crossing on the river- there are still a couple of structures that still exist, including the anchor for the ferry cable.  It is really cool, and my buddy and I have metal detected with my buddy in the ghost town, and found some cool relics.

My buddy’s family has owned the land for well over 30 years, but they constantly catch trespassers on the land.  One time, my buddy’s parents (the legal owners of the land) were walking down the trail to the ghost town, and came across two people coming up the trail with metal detectors, shovels, and a bag full of relics.

They asked what the trespassers were doing there.  They said they had permission from the landowners to be there, metal detect and take anything they found.

My buddy’s mom (all 4’7” of her) pointed at them and screamed “LIAR!!!!”  

It has become an inside joke with our group of friends.  Every time someone tells an unbelievable story, someone points at them and shouts “LIAR!!!”
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    edited September 30 #26
    Growing up it was bear season. One neighbor raised black angry cattle and had a citidiot drop one and try to get help getting it out. Police were called, game commission were called. He went from real proud to owning expensive beef pretty quick.
    Are black angry cattle good to eat?  

😂 I know it was auto-correct, but couldnt resist.  If I don't carefully proof read what I intended to write, auto correct would have me sounding as senile as Creepy Joe.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,271 Senior Member
    Many years ago I was driving past our 40 acre block during game season. Saw a couple of hunters with dogs working their way up the swamp so I stopped and walked in to talk to them. When I approached them, before I could introduce myself or produce my Rangers warrant, they said in a loud voice " We have permission from the landowner to hunt here".  I asked them who they had spoken to and they were adamant it was the landowner.......and then they became quite belligerent and asked why was I hassling them. I then explained that I was the property manager for the trust that owned the land and that the trust hadnt given anyone permission to hunt it. They then called me a liar and started to walk back to their vehicle.

I pulled out my rangers warrant, showed it to them and then asked for their game licences. Unfortunately they didnt have any, I then started to write them up and while doing so they continually hassled and abused me. I suspected they were giving me false details but let that slide for the moment. When I told them I wanted them to open their game bags to inspect the contents they went all quiet and initially refused.....but they ended up complying. On inspection they had shot 2 hen pheasants. I then wrote them up for taking hens ( which was illegal) and after completing the paperwork I handed them the offence notices.........at the same time I told them I was seizing their firearms,ammunition etc.
    There was dead silence which lasted for about 2 minutes and I could swear I heard the cogs in their brains working overtime. Then they asked what would happen to their firearms.
    I told them they would be summonsed to court, the firearms would be held until then and , if found guilty the judge may order them forfeited or he may allow them to keep them. If they failed to turn up in court their firearms would become the property of  Fish & Game and would be sold........and then waited while they digested this.........Sure enough, the older of the 2 came to the correct conclusion and then admitted that the details he supplied were false. That started an argument between them lol.
    Finally the second one came clean also so they ended up with obstruction and false info charges added to the rest.

At the subsequent court case they plead NG, were subsequently convicted and their firearms ammunition etc were forfeited to the Crown.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Back in the 70's the grandparents of one of the guys I worked with had 40 acres in mid-Michigan, mostly hardwoods and a small orchard in one corner.  His uncles were early bowhunters and had made permanent stands at locations well inside the property boundaries, which were heavily posted.  One of his uncles was going to his stand near the center of the property and found a stranger was up in his stand - with a shotgun.  A verbal argument ensued and ended with the trespasser shooting the uncle, who fortunately survived. 
    These encounters can absolutely get ugly and violent!   I’ve recently changed my mind about how much land I want to buy on our next move because I’m getting too old to police a huge hunk of mountain land.  I’ll have enough to get my stands up and be able to check via UTV by doing a short ride and that’s enough.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    These encounters can absolutely get ugly and violent!   I’ve recently changed my mind about how much land I want to buy on our next move because I’m getting too old to police a huge hunk of mountain land.  I’ll have enough to get my stands up and be able to check via UTV by doing a short ride and that’s enough.
    A friendly word of advice when hunting deer from a stand on your own chunk of mountain land:  Don't shoot a deer unless it is facing uphill.  

Learned this the hard way.  Deer didn't live long enough to run 25 yards, but slid about another 100 yards further.  Even with rope and a UTV I decided I was definitely too old to make that mistake twice.
    Good advice!!!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬