Home Main Category General Firearms

So instead of Hot-Roding the S&W 624…

Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,219 Senior Member
I decided I’m just going to get this and take the Leupold scope off the 624 and bring it back to original open sights configuration and install that scope on this and work up some good heavy hunting loads.

I can’t pick it up today, gun fund is empty but I have a very understanding Gun store manager friend, so It’ll be out of jail in a few weeks.  Then I’ll figure out what to do with this glass because it is a true 2-6 LER scope but I have no clue if they are any good.

In any case this will be my first Ruger .357!   I’m sure I’m going to like it…

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    That scope base is really cool!

H110
    :-) 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,389 Senior Member
    You should be VERY pleased with that.  Despite my recent foray into vintage S&W's, the stainless GP is a better tool for the real world.   Ask your gun shop buddy if you can CLP the beejeezus out of the innards so a trusted employee can dry fire the crap out of while you wait.  That's my standard "action job" for a DA Ruger - the end result typically being very Pythonesque (Yes, I'm trying to have that word officially added to the Revolver Shooter's Lexicon  :D)

What you fixing to shoot through it?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,559 Senior Member
    I like my two GP-100s. Have taken a deer with the 6” one. 

Simons scope ain’t bad for a cheap handgun scope. I have a couple fixed power o es. Not long range glass. Works alright on revolvers. 

I’ll take it if you don’t want. 😎
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

H110
    Great!  Now you have me looking at red dot adapter bases for my 4" version.  Expensive place, this forum. . . :p
    WWJMBD?

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,219 Senior Member

H110
    That’s actually what caught my attention in the first place!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Bigslug said:
    You should be VERY pleased with that.  Despite my recent foray into vintage S&W's, the stainless GP is a better tool for the real world.   Ask your gun shop buddy if you can CLP the beejeezus out of the innards so a trusted employee can dry fire the crap out of while you wait.  That's my standard "action job" for a DA Ruger - the end result typically being very Pythonesque (Yes, I'm trying to have that word officially added to the Revolver Shooter's Lexicon  :D)

What you fixing to shoot through it?
    Oh Lord, what am I NOT going to shoot through it.  Funny I’ve never been a huge .357 fan.  Always thought why bring out a .38 when I have a bunch of .44s that will make a louder bark.  So over the years I’ve sent a bunch of NICE .357 to happier owners as Knitepoet knows well.  My only .357 handgun right now is my beloved Python and that gets a casual day of of .38 wadcutters here and there, only when the sun is shining and the temps are well below sweating, but that’s it.  It’s worth too much money for me to beat it up.

And in spite of that, and I’m not sure how, I have GOBS of .357 ammo from 148 gr target wadcutters through 110gr HP +P all the way to HOT 158gr SPs in factory stuff.  And then I have buckets (literally) of reloads from mild 158gr RNs for target work to hot 158gr plated SWC.

I’m literally buying this thing so I can go to the range and burn off a crapload of ammo.  Between this and the Rossi lever gun I should be able to put a dent in this obnoxious supply of ammo!!!
    🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited September 2021 #8
    knitepoet said:
    Li'l Gun and those 164 LBTs you got from me ;):D 

I  get 1307fps average from my 6" 686 and 1195 from my 4" (That you know so well ;) ).
    However, my load's a little too far "off the reservation" to post
    knitepoet said:
    That appears to be a Simmons scope. They're "ok" scopes if you're a "set it and forget it" kinda of guy, but I doubt it'll track precisely or be repeatable. Mine, at least, isn't 
    That sounds like a great purpose for the bullets you sent me.  I got to get some Li’l Gun.

I’ll test the scope and see what it does.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Zee said:
    I like my two GP-100s. Have taken a deer with the 6” one. 

Simons scope ain’t bad for a cheap handgun scope. I have a couple fixed power o es. Not long range glass. Works alright on revolvers. 

I’ll take it if you don’t want. 😎
    Let me play with it a little bit but if I do move the Leupold in to this gun, which is the plan, you’ll probably see it show up in a box at your place.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Bigslug said:

H110
    Great!  Now you have me looking at red dot adapter bases for my 4" version.  Expensive place, this forum. . . :p
    Which red dot would you put on it?
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Which red dot would you put on it?
    Gotta cast a wider seach net to see what's available.  Would PREFER a closed-emitter sight like the Holosun 509-T or the new Aimpoint.  EGW has one for the Trijicon RMR footprint sights which includes the Holosun 407/507/508T.  Would probably go with one of those if that's all there is.
    WWJMBD?

Interesting idea!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited September 2021 #13
    I bought my GP100 used so long ago it was literally a different world. Its been shot so much the lands at the forcing cone show ware. The only gun I own that has worn rifling. Its as accurate as any gun I own. The DA and SA trigger is great. Never had the gun apart. No need so far. If I expect severe weather or harsh terrain. I take that gun. Not because its my favorite cartridge. Because its dependable beyond the decay of time, and won't even show incidental neglect or abuse.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    Is that scope touching the scope base?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Is that scope touching the scope base?
    No, the angle makes it look that way.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    I bought my GP100 used so long ago it was literally a different world. Its been shot so much the lands at the forcing cone show ware. The only gun I own that has worn rifling. Its as accurate as any gun I own. The DA and SA trigger is great. Never had the gun apart. No need so far. If I expect severe weather or harsh terrain. I take that gun. Not because its my favorite cartridge. Because its dependable beyond the decay of time, and won't even show incidental neglect or abuse.
    Yeah that’s pretty much what I envision for this one except really just a foul weather opportunity hunting gun.  Something I can shove into a chest rig if I’m out in the woods during hunting season and don’t feel like carrying a rifle, JUST in case I see something while I’m out and about.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    My 6" GP100 has eaten everything from full house W296 loads down to powder puff .38 Special loads.  You should have many years of enjoyable service out of it.
    mitdr774 said:
    My 6" GP100 has eaten everything from full house W296 loads down to powder puff .38 Special loads.  You should have many years of enjoyable service out of it.
    Too many happy Ruger DA owners here for me to keep ignoring them 😁
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    mitdr774 said:
    Too many happy Ruger DA owners here for me to keep ignoring them 😁
    I think we're gonna make you a .357 convert in addition to the Rugers.  It's the legitimate 100 yard handgun system that doesn't beat you up - especially not with a 6" underlug and scope weighing it down.  This is a big part of my red dot consideration - the gun has reach that a 2 MOA dot in the same focal plane as the target can really exploit.  Kinda thinking it might advance my DAO game to a higher level.

What you will probably like greatly about the Rugers is the subassembly-based teardown.  For the most part, no small parts to keep track of, no sideplate screws to make you nervous about slipping with a screwdriver, etc...  A revolver will never be a Glock for simplicity, but it's nice that a few folks have tried to take them in that direction.
    WWJMBD?

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,072 Senior Member
    Nice!  I really like the looks of that Ruger.

you need to get one of these to go under that Simmons:
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/cva-scout-v2-300-aac-blackout-whisper-pistol-cp702s/
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Yeah Baby!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

https://www.classicfirearms.com/cva-scout-v2-300-aac-blackout-whisper-pistol-cp702s/
    Wow, those are really affordable.  Just saw one on GB in 6.5 Creed!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,570 Senior Member

Saw the carbine version of one of those today in 350 Legend. Was kind of curious.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,188 Senior Member
    ^^ i have one in .223 ^^  a blast to shoot

My Ruger really likes Hornady 158 gr XTPs over H-110
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,188 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #26
    Excellent Shooting
    I haven't killed anything but paper with those bullets yet, nice to know they worked well for you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    158 XTP’s kill good 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    The full length base and underlug really set off those guns for serious intent.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,367 Senior Member
    I had that exact Simmons scope and it was pretty promptly destroyed. But, that was on a 454 Casull with stout loads. First, it stripped the threads at the ocular lens. I stuck it back together with Locktite and it stayed. Shortly after that, it broke the reticle. 🤷🏻‍♂️ But that being said, I have no doubt that scope could live a long, happy life on a 357. 
    Nice revolver, BTW. I have the same gun except blued. Love it. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,072 Senior Member

I have one in .243. I’ve written it up here a few times- it is insanely accurate. Hit an 8” target at 425 yards. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I have one in .243. I’ve written it up here a few times- it is insanely accurate. Hit an 8” target at 425 yards. 
    I have the same .243 Win and one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Like them.