Home Main Category General Firearms

Target pistol

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,616 Senior Member
Anyone know anything about a target .22 LR pistol.  I have a Baikal pistol with a wooden grip that doesn't fit me well.  It seems I can't instinctively point the gun and I'd like to be able to.  I need to know what it takes to rasp or file away to fit.  I'd like to know how to adjust the take-up on the trigger.  I'm into it pretty cheap and have the tools that go with it; had the instructions several pages of them, but they're gone.  Mags are numbered to the pistol.  I had to disable the grip safety in order to shoot it.  It's made in Russia and I guess as target pistols go it's on the lower end.

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #2
    Have you scrolled youtube?

Could be the importer has info or manuals?

You may even be able to learn the perscribed technique if said can be determined?

Looks like the trigger guard was made for use with a glove.

Rimfirecentral has some info.

There's some here too.
    https://scgunshop.com.au/product/russian-baikal-22-target-pistol-s-n-m307903b/

Looks like they were bought by Remington at one point.

If this is the same one. It looks like a real puzzle.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,616 Senior Member
    There is a manual on-line but it's in small font.  The trigger adjustment section is at the bottom of a page and when I increase the size it cuts off what I'm interested in.  I know there are three adjustments and know one and maybe two, but the third isn't intuitive.
    edited September 2021 #4
    I finally figured out the trigger thing with the online manual. I need a tiny screwdriver to adjust the small rear screw.  Called the "aft" screw.  I was confused at first because of a grammar error in the translation which led me to misunderstand the intent. The problem of being a writer and an editor. (Former.)
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Now if you can wrap your hand around that big Russian saw handle.....
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    I searched for 22 target pistol's from big bear arms in texas and came up empty.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,225 Senior Member
    I know that gun well, It’s a Baikal IZH-35M.  Friend of mine had one and was a SHOOTER!  Just saw one on GB go for a hair over $1,000.  They are really starting to attract attention of folks who see the value way over the price point.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited September 2021 #8
    Wow!  I think I paid $400 for mine, including box, tools, magazine, cleaning rod/brush.  I couldn't get it to shoot because the grip safety is VERY difficult (impossible) to engage.  I wrapped a rubber band around the grip to depress it and while it worked, I didn't like the way it looked and didn't trust it.  Rubber bands don't match well with solvent and oil. So to fix the problem, I took a matchstick and wedged it so it depressed the safety. I got the idea from another owner who had the same problem. Not the safest pistol in the armory, in fact NO safety on the gun but I don't think I had a choice if I wanted to shoot it.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,225 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Wow!  I think I paid $400 for mine, including box, tools, magazine, cleaning rod/brush.  I couldn't get it to shoot because the grip safety is VERY difficult (impossible) to engage.  I wrapped a rubber band around the grip to depress it and while it worked, I didn't like the way it looked and didn't trust it.  Rubber bands don't match well with solvent and oil. So to fix the problem, I took a matchstick and wedged it so it depressed the safety. I got the idea from another owner who had the same problem. Not the safest pistol in the armory, in fact NO safety on the gun but I don't think I had a choice if I wanted to shoot it.
    No it doesn’t sound like you did.  Funny how Russian and other East European guns all come into the country “cheap” and under the radar until the info gets spread of how good/accurate they are and then prices shoot up.  $1,000 is still reasonable compared to other Euro guns of the type and folks are paying it so they are a good value!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,090 Senior Member
    Those guns have been out of production for over a decade and have been sought after even longer.

Money in the bank Gene :)

One other question and then I'll let it go...the manual shows a "lever"safety on the left hand side of the pistol (conventional safety) and a grip safety on the right.  However, on my gun there is no "lever" safety and no place for one.  And the grip safety can't be accessed by my hand which is the reason I deactivated it.  Making this pistol strictly a range gun.  Anyone got any ideas on this absence?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,887 Senior Member
    The safety could be a later addition to meet federal import restrictions. This blog article and the ad I've attached only mention a grip safety.  I know some TT-33s and their copies had to have a safety lever added to meet import requirements after a certain year.

http://tenring.blogspot.com/2006/03/one-from-vault.html

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/BAIKAL-IZH-35M-22-LR-TARGET-PISTOL-MADE-IN-RUSSIA/lotInformation/46902701
    I'm just here for snark.
    edited September 2021 #13
    Thanks, bream.  Neither of those articles mentions a conventional safety and in one, he disables the grip safety with duct tape, so it's not only me that had a problem with it.  I don't think the gun is as ugly as the first article claims, though it certainly isn't a beauty.

I don't see how a conventional safety could be added to the left side of the gun without seriously milling out the wood on that side. 
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,887 Senior Member
    I saw photos of ones with a safety lever.  Wood was definitely cut out.
    I'm just here for snark.
    edited September 2021 #15
    I finally saw a photo of one with the safety lever, way at the back on the left side below the rear sight. Mine has what looks like a pin inside the receiver for a safety, but I'm sure it never had one. Strange concept.  The receiver for a safety gun has a S & F marking which mine does not have, and of course the wood of the handle makes a safety impossible unless wood is relieved.

Edit: additional research reveals that only US pistols have the lateral safety, others do not. I found this by looking at stocks for the pistols.  I suppose you don't really need a safety for range work, but I kinda wish mine had it.
    edited September 2021 #16
    A question for anyone familiar with the 35 Baikal or the Walther 200 (basically same pistol, different grips.)

I want to adjust the trigger weight but don't know if I turn the adjusting screw clockwise or counter-clockwise.  While this may not be worthy of an answer, I'd like to know before I unscrew the trigger screw.  I have a 200 manual in three different languages but it's no help.

It's a pain in the ass to load test rounds to test the trigger pull, but there it is.  I don't want to dry fire on an empty chamber.