Home Main Category Hunting

257 roberts fans

13»

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,467 Senior Member
    One case is not more accurate than the other.
    It is the quality of the barrel, bedding, etc... that will determine accuracy for you.
    Choose the cartridge you want and have at it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    So to change the subject away from the last few pages of "discussion"....Winchester is offering the Mod 70 Feather Weight in 257 Bob as the SHOT show special this year.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Peter2nd wrote: »
    I am also thinking of buying a 257 Roberts or a 25-06, has anyone fire both of these cartridges? The 25-06 seems to have more options with bullet grains over here but I have always heard the 257 is deadly accurate.
    Sako has the 25-06 and Browning the 257, two good rifles. Which way to lean?

Actually, I don't think the 25-06 has any advantage over bullet choices. A 257 Roberts with a tight enough twist will shoot the same 120 grain bullet as the 25-06, just faster.It's more to do with the barrel twist rate than powder capacity, although a faster bullet does seem to stabilize better than a slower one, because of the time to target factor. Actually my .257 Bob AI is capable of almost the same velocity as the 25-06. But I realize that's another story.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,467 Senior Member
    I think he was referring to factory ammo options.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yeah well that would make sense. I have a hard time relating to factory ammo sometimes. I load for all centerfire rifle. I used to load for shotgun too. And I also loaded for my .357-38. Never loaded for my 9mm or my 7.65 (32 ACP). Now all I load for is centerfire rifle.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    I'm sure it would be a great choice for deer and speed goats. However, given ammo availability, I don't personally see what practical advantage it has over the .243 Winchester. Does .014" and 20grs make that much difference in something that is probably going to be a 300-yard gun anyway?

I would choose the 25-06 if ammo availability was a concern. With either of the 3 (.243, 257Roberts, 25-06) if you do you part I don't think you could find a better deer/varmit cartridge.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    It's almost definitely a reloading proposition. I think Remington still makes some in 100 grains as for factory. But for reloading it's a breeze. I loaded about 30 rounds for fire forming with 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunters and fire formed them to .257 Bob AI. However I figure I can better the Remington 100 grain factory load by approximately 200 FPS. The rounds I loaded to fireform used 46 grains H4831 SC and they were doing over 2900 FPS and I wasn't crowding them at all. I suspect that factory rounds are loaded down for some of the older rifles with weaker actions the round may have been chambered for. So if you want to get full potential, hand load for it. It will have less recoil than a larger bore rifle and with heavier bullets may be a better killer than the 6mms. Yeah I know, the animal won't be any deader than with anything else, but what I mean is better penetration and less likely to wound, more likely to kill an animal than with smaller, lighter bullets.
    Hornady makes a superformance load or two for the bob
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Yeah, that should get it up there. I didn't try any of those yet.
    Probably about what you'd get with handloads pushed hard
    Yeah, it's kinda like what ya get with RL-17 in some rounds, a good bit of gain without a lot of pressure. That's what I see in Superformance and powders like RL-17. They burn smoother down the barrel and give you more push without a big pressure peak.