Home Main Category Hunting

Recurve bow or handgun?

JaphyJaphy Posts: 141 Member
The olympic archery event is 70 meters with a 10 ring of just under 5 in.  Only recurve bows, no release aids, no glass sights.
On my best day I doubt I can get anywhere near half of my shots from any of several handguns into a 5 in the bull at 70 meters, about 230 ft,  hand held, no rest, open sights, outside, in the wind.
I checked olympic scores and there have been several perfect archery rounds over the years.  that is 12 arrows all in the 10. Those guys are astounding marksmen.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,744 Senior Member
    Tremendous skill!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,759 Senior Member
    If you want to find a handgun parallel, look up the National Match Bullseye Pistol slow fire scores.

The center black on that target equates to making head shots at 50 yards with a handgun. . .with iron sights. . .one handed.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
    edited September 15 #4
    That is remarkable skill. My conversion puts that at about 76.5 yards. I can hit a target that size with my compound and release, but I can’t hit a target that size 12 times in a row, for sure. 

The 25 yard pistol match I play uses the B16 target, two handed, slow fire, iron sights, 10 5-round groups per caliber, 4 calibers. The 10 ring is 1.51”, largest score ring (5) is 9.66”. In all the years I’ve been messing with that game, I’ve scored a perfect 50 twice. I’ve scored 49 a bunch of times. But hitting that bull 5x in a row is hard to do. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,336 Senior Member
    I love watching Olympic archery, recurve. As for hitting the target at 70 meters, you have to remember these are the best archers in the world at hitting a target at 70 meters.  Korean women consistently are the ones on the podium. I don't watch compound matches, are they also at 70 meters? I've seen recurve "bare bow" which is a lot closer and the x ring is much smaller.  The arrows they use are as thick as they can be to touch the line for higher scores.  Not much fun.  No releases but they all shoot 3 under.

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    Japhy,
    Are you going to hunt big game with a bow or handgun or both this year?
    Describe the bow, blade type, and weight when you are at full draw?
    Which handgun do you have in mind?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 141 Member

@Ernie

I hunted whitetails in the Midwest for many years.  I switched from a Browning 78 7mm to a handgun one year and never looked back.  I also hunted the archery seasons with a 50lb Hoyt recurve, then switched to a Jennings compound when compound bows became more available in the late 1970s. It dawned on me that I had never shot a deer beyond 30 yards most were much closer in dense cover in that area.  I borrowed my brothers Redhawk one year and I was hooked.  later bought a SBH (.44) that I used for at least 8 seasons.  Haven’t been back for a deer hunt in years.  I was considering last year but changed plans and hit an early weekend of the Iowa pheasant hunt in lieu.  It was a wonderful outing. old friends, 2 wild and crazy brittneys, and 2 birds each day.

and ..I dont shoot sub 5in bulls at 70 meters with any kind of bow or handgun ..Im working pistol technique but I have a long way to go.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    Awesome!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"