Home Main Category Personal Defense

Safety unknown

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,395 Senior Member
The other day I picked up my BM bedside table gun and saw that the safety had gone to fire.  Cocked and UNLOCKED.  How this happened I don't know, but shortly before I found the gun my grandkids were here.  I don't think my grandson handled the pistol but I can't rule it out.  What I know is somehow in some way I found the gun in a very unsafe condition.  A temporary fix, nervous me, was to lower the hammer to a Condition 2, not pleased with that.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 1,257 Senior Member
    Do you remember what condition it was in before your grandson came in?  I can absolutely see a kid thumbing a hammer back and then thinking oh crap! And just laying the gun down.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,395 Senior Member
    It was cocked and locked, which is the way I keep it by my bedside. I can't see how it could have went to an unsafe condition on its own. I may need to have serious talk with my grandson.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,678 Senior Member
    I'd have that chat with the grandson too. Even if he protests that "IdaKnow" or "NotMe" did it...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Gene L said:
    It was cocked and locked, which is the way I keep it by my bedside. I can't see how it could have went to an unsafe condition on its own. I may need to have serious talk with my grandson.
    That’s a sound plan!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    At the risk of being obtuse, why didn't you put the safety back on versus lowering the hammer?
    Overkill is underrated.
    Good question.  I went to Condition 2 instinctively and later went back to 1.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    Okay, gotcha.  I was scratching my head on that...

And yeah, I would have a discussion with the grandson.  
    Overkill is underrated.
    edited September 15 #9
    He only comes down twice a year.  This year he is very interested in guns.  He loves my .32 S&W, which he shot this year.  I left my safe unlocked and he plundered through it.  He's 13 a couple of days ago and hasn't an idea about guns except what I showed him this year.  I need to have an explanatory discussion with him to give him a reason why something gun wise is forbidden.
    I would just tell him no limit on gun time but NEVER by yourself.  You want to take a look at anything gun I’ll make myself available immediately for you.  That takes all the “mystery” out of it.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,675 Senior Member
    edited September 15 #11
    On normal day in our house you're not far from a loaded firearm anywhere in the place....BUT...when the grand's are here, any firearm within reach of inquisitive little hands is secured out of reach in a safe place...I don't care how many times you talk about gun safety with little...you can't expect them to exercise good judgement all the time...so lock them up when the kids are around...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,851 Senior Member
    I let my son handle anything he was curious about. The rule was he had to ask first. No ask, no touch.

I stash or lock up anything thats out when grandkids come.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,675 Senior Member
    edited September 15 #13
    I think you need to apply Occam's Razor here...the simplest explanation is the most likely answer...
    We know the safety didn't turn itself off...that leaves two possibilities...
    1. Either you did it and forgot about it...
    2. Your grandchild did it...

Pick one....and take appropriate corrective action...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,951 Senior Member
    Time for a chat or go see a doctor.
    Guessing it is option #1
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 504 Senior Member
    When my grandkids come over, unless I am supervising a range session, the only loaded weapons are on my person, everything else gets unloaded.  No exceptions when kids are in the house, ever.  It's not worth the risk for me to rely on trusting a child to 'know better' or not do something they should not do.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee