Home Main Category Hunting

Range Time For Hunting - Two Pachmayr Dominator's (25 Creed and 6.5 Creed) Confirming Drops

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 8,533 Senior Member

On Friday I went out to Mac's Gunworks to zero and get some drops out to 500 yards with my two Pachmayr Dominators.  These both have long eye pistol scopes on them with external turrets, otherwise shooting at the distances that I did would be much more difficult.
With a 1911 frame and trigger, and not being able to use a bi-pod, makes the Dominator system a little more challenging to use.  I used a front rest and a Hollands small field bag under the pistol grip.
The Dom on the left is a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 15" barrel.  Scope is the Leupold 2.5-8 EER.  The drops on the grip are for my 140 A-Max load, which I did not use yesterday.
The one on the right is a 25 Creedmoor, and it has a 14" barrel and a Harrel brake.  The barrel is heavier also.  Once new trigger/hammer parts were put in the trigger pull is great for a 1911.  Initially, the trigger pull was quite heavy, and being the trigger snob that I am, I didn't like it-Now I love it!
It shoots the 110 grain Nosler Accubonds at 2726 fps.
I like the classic looks of the 6.5, but the 25 has become my favorite.  This is the first time I have used the new Weaver 2-6 pistol scope.  You can zero these turrets easily, and so far the adjustment have been spot on to meet me needs.  I like the eye relief better on the Weaver than the Leupold on the Dominator at least.
I knew the velocity with the 110's, so I stated with the 25.
I had to re-zero, since I had put a new scope on it.  I got lucky, and within 3-shots I was off to shooting steel. 
I started at 300 yards on a 10" piece of steel, and I didn't hold or dial for wind.  I shot right.  Either the wind was doing something weird then or I pushed the shot right with some bad fundamentals.  I am not really sure.  With all the further shots, from that time forward, I had to deal with an ever increasing quartering tail wind to full value wind from right to left.
I was just checking to make sure my drops were solid.

Then I went out to 500 yards.
Hopefully you have seen enough proof from Zee that you don't have to have a lot of magnification to connect at distances further than 500 yards.
If I had my druthers though, I would like to have more than 6x, but I was happy with the shots at 500.
Took some pics, videos, and painted targets.
The wind continued to get faster with some gusting-Notice the swinging steel targets as an indicator!
Time to shoot the 6.5 Creed Dominator.
I tried some Hornady factory ammo that used the 120 grain GMX bullet that I traded for during WY-SHOT.

After a 100 yards zero, I went to the 10 inch plate at 300 yards, and kept subtracting my guesstimate on the velocity until the drops got close.Then, I went to 500 yards where there is a large target, so I could get my wind figured out and it be able to see if my vertical was close.  I had to drop my MV more than I thought I would.  Notice the swinging plates at 300 and 400 yards.
I shot at 300, 500, and then back to 400 yards

The wind wasn't ideal, but the factory ammo shot pretty good.
I am looking forward to hunting in October

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,580 Senior Member
    Do you use a ballistic program of any kind?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,280 Senior Member
    I’ve got to stop opening your threads… 🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,533 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Do you use a ballistic program of any kind?
    Shooter
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Not heard of that one. 
    edited September 2021 #6
    Dominators are grail guns for Zee and myself.  
    Compact set-up, but more difficult to shoot compared to an XP. 
    When Pachmayr brought this out, I don’t think they ever dreamed of someone shooting it at 500 yards or further for that matter. B) 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zee said:
    Not heard of that one. 

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    That's fantastic. To say the least.
    That's fantastic. To say the least.
    Thank You Sir!

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Dominators are grail guns for Zee and myself.  
    Compact set-up, but more difficult to shoot compared to an XP. 
    When Pachmayr brought this out, I don’t think they ever dreamed of someone shooting it at 500 yards further for that matter. B) 
    Oh I remember it like it was yesterday!  I was a young shooter with big desires and no money.  Every month, I read G&A the DAY it was delivered to my mailbox, cover to cover…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    G&A and Peterson's Hunting were my two favorites.  I guess I am going to take the 25 Creed Dom out as far as the turret and the reticle will allow, just to do it.  I don't remember offhand how much MOA I have with the Weaver pistol scope.  Figuring out the post/plex subtension won't be too hard either.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    G&A and Peterson's Hunting were my two favorites.  I guess I am going to take the 25 Creed Dom out as far as the turret and the reticle will allow, just to do it.  I don't remember offhand how much MOA I have with the Weaver pistol scope.  Figuring out the post/plex subtension won't be too hard either.
    THAT should be fun!

BTW talk about stars aligning.  The guy who’s currently living in the house we’re signing a lease on is a world class hunter and fisherman.  He showed me one of his trophies that he had in the house and it’s a Canadian buck he took in Saskatchewan.  300lbs live weight, 192 non-typical B&C!!!  It’s in the book, roughly 16 points I counted quickly including a couple of dropped times.  The rest of his stuff is in storage, including a 700 lb Siberian Brown bear 😱

Anyway he offered to take me under his wing and show me all the local places to fly fish, he just snagged a 24” wild caught rainbow and a 22” Brown in two casts in one of his honey holes… but I digress…

He's taking me to his local gun range where they have, get this, a ONE THOUSAND YARD RANGE!!!!!  I’ll be getting a membership as soon as we move in 😎

I was so giddy while we were talking my knees got weak! 🤣🤣🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Outstanding!
    When do you start the specialty pistol build?😎😇⚡️💥
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Outstanding!
    It’ll have to be a next year project, I’m up to my butt in commitments right now and I want to be ready to hunt this year which is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER, with a move in the middle of it for good measure.  But this seals the deal as far as making it happen.  Can’t wait to see the local guys faces when I show up with a pistol 😎😎😎😎😎
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Oh, it will be priceless...especially when you out shoot them.
    Hopefully, you will out shoot them B)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Oh I WILL outshoot them.  I promise I’ll work very hard at it…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,296 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #17
    blahblahblahblahdownsizingblahblahblahblah :D

Zee is pretty smart with the wait and see approach to see how your collection evolves, into his :p

Grand kids, 1K ranges, hunting, you are in big trouble, all of us enabling.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited September 2021 #18
    CHIRO1989 said:
    blahblahblahblahdownsizingblahblahblahblah :D

Zee is pretty smart with the wait and see approach to see how your collection evolves, into his :p

Grand kids, 1K ranges, hunting, you are in big trouble, all of us enabling.
    Zee has enough of my guns…. When I get an SP I’m gonna be buried with it. 
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Digging the hole as we speak. 
    HA!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,296 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Digging the hole as we speak. 

Not too deep hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I am kind of pumped about Wambli, taking his 6 Creed center-grip XP (or whatever he builds/gets) out to a grand and out shooting rifle guys...You heard it here first guys! B)
    If I can get him to come to WY-SHOT, I will do my best to work out all of shooting at distance with a SP nerves.
    Getting him shooting beyond 1K on steel, then he can go home and have some real fun with some Tactical Ted's, and Mall Ninjas B)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Oh...Wy-SHOT has pd shooting too o:) !
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited September 2021 #24
    Outstanding!
    It’ll have to be a next year project, I’m up to my butt in commitments right now and I want to be ready to hunt this year which is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER, with a move in the middle of it for good measure.  But this seals the deal as far as making it happen.  Can’t wait to see the local guys faces when I show up with a pistol 😎😎😎😎😎

Do you want me to start looking for a used center-grip XP-100 for you?
    OR
    Are you going to go with a XP clone Borden Alpine action?
    I don't want to take time away from all of your other commitments. :):smiley:
    Getting the action and the trigger linkage secured is the biggest issue.
    Barrels are easy, and so are the center-grip stocks.

FYI- finding a Dominator is much more challenging.
    You may not believe this, but I have turned a couple down the past several years.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Wow I really appreciate the offer.  I’m clearing out some surplus which will get some funds into the gun fund.  I’ll PM you as soon as it reaches an appropriate level!!! 
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    You are going to be getting a cartridge with a .574 boltface (Creed family/308 Winchester family/ 250 Savage family/06 family)...Correct?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yes sir!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬