Home Main Category Hunting

Hunting Picture Thread!

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    At the end of the season the scope fogged as well.  It was not a good pre season or end of season.  This year I will have a back up ready in case issues pop up again.  Might get the Marlin 1894 or Ruger 77/44 set up with some 240gr or 300gr XTP loads for a back up.

I dont have anywhere near the opportunities to do the shooting you do.  I do enjoy reading your posts and seeing the results you get.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    Kinda late to this thread...

Southern Michigan, afternoon of opening day of firearm deer season 2021, state land, my .458x1.8 after a disaster of a preseason load work up and sight in.

My usual view if we don't have snow.

My first wild buck.  The second buck I have every spotted in the state game area.  The first was that morning and was a 4 point.  This one walked in and stopped in one of the small windows I had to shoot through at less than 50 yards.  Came out to 160 pounds dressed.  

When I started load work up in September I discovered that the Winchester laminate stock had finally had enough.  A quick and dirty band aid repair was attempted knowing that it would not be a long term solution.  That failed on the first range trip as was a concern.  Band aid repair attempt number two was done and that held up better, but ultimately more issues with the laminate were found and it failed as well.  In early October my dad did a rush job of making a new stock for it so that I would have some time to get a load figured out prior to mid November opening day.

Settled on a load driving a Speer 350 gr flat nose at 2100 fps knowing that I'm close to the lower velocity expansion limit for the bullet.  It groups at 1" or less at 100 yards on a regular basis as long as I do my part.

This is the first whitetail deer that I have shot that dropped on the spot.  It gave one quick kick after dropping and that was it.  I honestly had no clue how the head was until it was down.  When it walked in I had enough time to tell that it was antlered and not some yearling with a really small rack.  After setting down the binoculars I lined up my rifle on the window it was heading toward hoping it would at least move slow enough to get a shot.  He stopped just long enough in the little window to present a great shot.

After dragging it out with my dad I was informed that I am no longer allowed to shoot deer over 120 pounds in that area.  Maybe 130 if they run toward the trail after being shot.

The rifle.

A bad three shot group with that load.

Way to hang in there and get it done!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    The biggest credit for the rifle making it to the season really goes to my dad for making the stock in such a short time.  Time was saved by using the factory stock as a pattern, but it still isnt a quick process.

Brass has been another issue and I now have 50 pieces of consistent enough weight and capacity that is a different brand than what I was using.  I managed to slip up and end up with two different batches of brass with different capacities mixed up.  This resulted in random flyers that were unacceptable.  I guess having a case capacity difference of 2.5gr of H2O was enough (63gr vs 65.5gr) to throw things off.  I have switched to some Peterson belted magnum basic brass as what I start with.  I was using Sig .300wm brass, and it was fine until I got things mixed up.  I will eventually get the Sig brass all sorted out and figure out a way to still use it.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,559 Senior Member

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,288 Senior Member
    Zee said:

One and done or did we use the CPJ method? ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I never would have thought of a .22 for pigs.  This is why I look for your science activities.
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:

Nevermind, I saw your other post, I thought maybe you were spotting and stalking
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    mitdr774 said:
    I never would have thought of a .22 for pigs.  This is why I look for your science activities.
    I’ve actually shot quite a few pigs with a .22lr. 
    While these were dispatched after catching them in a trap, I’ve taken a .22lr pistol with me hunting before. After I shoot the sow, I’ve had the piglets run around and hide in the brush. Easy enough to sneak up and shoot them with a .22lr. 
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:

Nevermind, I saw your other post, I thought maybe you were spotting and stalking
    Hell, I still have 4 more large shoats to go back and get this week. The 3 wee ones are gonna get fed out until 60lbs. 

Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:

Hell, I still have 4 more large shoats to go back and get this week. The 3 wee ones are gonna get fed out until 60lbs. 

Can't eat them if the kids name them ;)
  • CorkyCorky Posts: 19 New Member
    Two ringnecks taken with my Browning Light Twelve semiauto, Belgium made in 1971. Taken on state game lands in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 2021. 
    nothing like a nice piece of hickory 

And, one more…….
    edited March 14 #194
    The photo is a bit fuzzy. 
    Old photo, good times, when I was young. A long time ago, around 1974 on the Broad Mountain in Carbon County, Pennsylvania. A big spike buck, taken with a Remington 760 Gamemaster, .30-06 150 grain bullet. I still have the Woolrich coat. It was bought in 1969. 
    edited March 14 #195
    Another old fuzzy photo from around 1970. The deer hunters having cans of Pabst Blue ribbon, after the hunt in Carbon County Pennsylvania. It was my dad’s first buck. A six pointer. He is holding its leg, me in the Woolrich to the left. He shot it with his Winchester model 94, .30-30 from his tree stand on the Broad Mountain. He passed away in 1988. 
    edited March 14 #196

The wilderness of the Canadian International Paper Company logging territory, Northern Quebec, May, 1970. I am holding my Winchester model 94, .32 Winchester Special. A long way from civilization.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Great pics!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    Welcome. 
    Glad to see another hunter here 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Corky said:
    The photo is a bit fuzzy. 
    Old photo, good times, when I was young. A long time ago, around 1974 on the Broad Mountain in Carbon County, Pennsylvania. A big spike buck, taken with a Remington 760 Gamemaster, .30-06 150 grain bullet. I still have the Woolrich coat. It was bought in 1969. 
    I grew up with a couple of those rifles always at deer camp!!!
    Corky said:
    Another old fuzzy photo from around 1970. The deer hunters having cans of Pabst Blue ribbon, after the hunt in Carbon County Pennsylvania. It was my dad’s first buck. A six pointer. He is holding its leg, me in the Woolrich to the left. He shot it with his Winchester model 94, .30-30 from his tree stand on the Broad Mountain. He passed away in 1988. 
    Absolutely awesome memory!!!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,075 Senior Member
    That was my first hunting rifle- a 760 Gamemaster in .30-06.  Still have it!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    That was my first hunting rifle- a 760 Gamemaster in .30-06.  Still have it!
    I wish I had one just from the nostalgia mindset. As a kid, I’d sneak into the gun closet of the deer camp, open the safe, and fondle all the hunting rifles. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,188 Senior Member
    Wish I had photos from when I was stationed in Washington State. All the public and most logging land was open to hunting in 1977 - 1980
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,075 Senior Member

Couple of wildlife pics from walking the dog this week. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Success!!!  I finally found Casanova’s other antler!  Found the first one a couple weeks ago. Found the second today. Searched long and hard. This is the third year I’ve found his pair. He always breaks off his 4 (yes four!) brow tines when the rut starts. 🤬
    My estimation is that he’s 7.5 years old.

A buddy cooked one of them today. 

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,188 Senior Member
    I bet them little guys taste great
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Found both of Murphy’s antlers!!

Zee said:

Saint Zee, the Patron Saint of large racks o:)

Got your halo on  straight today. 

CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:

Saint Zee, the Patron Saint of large racks o:)

Got your halo on  straight today. 
    Lucked out.