Home Main Category General Firearms

Never seen this before.

JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
I had a guy bring me an AR upper in 5.56 to remove a pinned and welded flash suppressor to install a quick attach/detach suppressor mount. He also wanted it shortened a bit more because the new brake was a bit longer and would bring it well past 16" (thank God for this, but more on it later). I got the barrel in the mill and milled just across the weld to expose the pin. You can tell when you've made it far enough past the weld but the pins normally won't just fall out so you have to drill a small hole in the center of the pin and pull it out with a tiny extractor. I got my bit in the chuck and got it centered over the pin and start to lower down on the quill when I noticed the drill wasn't cutting and the pin now went below flush. It took me a second to realize what was happening. Whoever did the original pin and weld apparently drilled ALL THE WAY INTO THE BORE. When I was applying pressure it sunk the pin all the way through into the bore to the extent that I had to use a small pick to push it up and out of the barrel. Thankfully the guy wanted the barrel cut back and rethreaded because I was able to get behind that mess and start over fresh. I wish I would have taken pics but didn't think about it until now. I gave the customer the old portion that I parted off that had the damage. I can't figure out how the person that did it was able to keep the pin from protruding into the bore. The guy said he's been shooting it and hadn't had any problems. The last "gunsmith" either got lucky when he set and welded the pin or he placed something in the bore to hold it up as he welded it. Ive seen some trash work before but this really topped it. I have zero patience for work that can hurt someone.
We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,188 Senior Member
    Hard to find decent let alone quality work these days
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,225 Senior Member
    There are only a handful of “gunsmiths” around here and based in the horror stories I hear all day I wouldn’t give any of them a cap gun to work on.  

Apparently they are pretty fearless and not afraid to screw up big money guns too!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    I would think even a monkey with a drill press could be sure to not drill all the way through to the bore though. It never even dawned on me that someone would do such a thing, until today.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,413 Senior Member
    I would think even a monkey with a drill press could be sure to not drill all the way through to the bore though. It never even dawned on me that someone would do such a thing, until today.
    Never underestimate the power of arrogance and ignorance. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    That is scary.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 342 Member
    If I have a Dremell can I help? >:)
    Rafterman said:
    If I have a Dremell can I help? >:)
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,037 Senior Member
    You sure do seem to get the odd ones! Maybe somebody shot off the end of the pin in question!! :D
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    I wonder if his POI changes now that the bullet isn't being gouged 🤣
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,384 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #11
    The Marine Corp's very own Private First Class, Stush Bubba strikes again!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    I honestly wonder how often stuff like this is done to people's guns and most just dont catch it? I had to thread a guy's barrel a while ago that had it threaded by another gunsmith that looked like it was done with an automotive tap and die set. The guy had a baffle strike when he used his suppressor with it.
    I honestly wonder how often stuff like this is done to people's guns and most just dont catch it? I had to thread a guy's barrel a while ago that had it threaded by another gunsmith that looked like it was done with an automotive tap and die set. The guy had a baffle strike when he used his suppressor with it.
    That's just nonsense... 
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬