Home Main Category Hunting

.44 Spl Ready to Hunt!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,580 Senior Member
Using my TC Contender barrel in .44 Mag to shoot Blazer 200gr .44 Spl ammo for deer hunting this year. 
I’ve never taken a deer with the .44 Spl and I have a couple spikes I can get within 50 yards of. Plan is to take one with it. 
Got the gun zeroed today. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the velocity. 

Actually only took 2 rounds to get on target. One round after
poor man bore sighting and then next was on the paster. D-U-N

Zero recoil and minimal report. I’m curious how weak these loads are!
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    They've been making that load a long time. I've kept a bit on hand for many years. Never shot any animals with it. Last time I loaded it was for truck, camp, and motel carry on a vacation with my son a few years ago.

Good luck with it. Should do the job.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,296 Senior Member
    Blazer aluminum cased is not the hottest stuff out there by any means, but, big bullet at 50 yds, Science!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,580 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Blazer aluminum cased is not the hottest stuff out there by any means, but, big bullet at 50 yds, Science!
    I’m hoping it’s less than 50yrds. We will see. Just concerned at the expansion at distance. 
    I have hotter handloads. But, I’m kinda wanting to see what shelf stuff does. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,296 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I’m hoping it’s less than 50yrds. We will see. Just concerned at the expansion at distance. 
    .44" hole, as long as it gets to the tootsie roll center of the tootsie pop.....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Kinda want to see how the Gold Dot performs under less than ideal conditions. 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,278 Senior Member
    Highly interested in this experiment!  
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Yea, I tend to use it for close range indoor SD.. That gun has a longer barrel with no cylinder/barrel gap. The bullet has a sterling rep. Same as the hunter/shooter here. Placement should deliver success.
    edited October 2021 #10
    Well, I chronographed  the factory load today. 

Actually faster than I thought. So, I chronographed my Trail Boss handload as well. 

Which impacted 4” lower that the factory load sight in. Which means…..4 fps difference ain’t enough to change. So, I’m going with the factory ammo which I have more of currently. 
    With the minimal recoil and report, I was afraid the factory ammo would be in the 800fps range. Since it broke 1,000 fps, I’m ok with an under 50yrd shot on a deer. 
    The scary part, I used Trail Boss in my handloads and beat the Blazer factory load. Wonder what they USE?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,410 Senior Member
    200 fps over the factory listing.  Amazing what eliminating the cylinder gap and doubling (probably) the barrel length will do for you.

I'm pretty interested in the autopsy report from this one.  With the lesser weight but higher SD and speed, I'm guessing it'll act a lot like a 230 grain .45 duty round.  I'm thinking plan to wait for broadside until the load proves it's good for raking options..
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    200 fps over the factory listing.  Amazing what eliminating the cylinder gap and doubling (probably) the barrel length will do for you.

I'm pretty interested in the autopsy report from this one.  With the lesser weight but higher SD and speed, I'm guessing it'll act a lot like a 230 grain .45 duty round.  I'm thinking plan to wait for broadside until the load proves it's good for raking options..
    I actually aimed at the little buggar yesterday quartering towards me at the point of the shoulder. But, wasn’t ready to deal with him afterwards. So, I passed. 
    Would prefer a broadside. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,089 Senior Member
    I have taken whitetail at 60 yards with the Blazer Gold Dot HP in .45Colt from a 16” barrel carbine.  It worked quite well, and dropped the deer on the spot.

Granted, it was a brain shot.  

So… that does not help.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I have taken whitetail at 60 yards with the Blazer Gold Dot HP in .45Colt from a 16” barrel carbine.  It worked quite well, and dropped the deer on the spot.

Granted, it was a brain shot.  

So… that does not help.