Home Main Category Hunting

Any .17 WSM shooters?

ds10speedds10speed Posts: 22 New Member
I have a Savage .17 WSM for varmints and target shooting. This round is super fast a very accurate but there is very limited choice of rifles chambered for this round. Is this round going to fade away? The Savage I have is very accurate but I was disappointed with the poor bolt design so I immediately redesigned the bolt to suit me. The biggest problem was the factory bolt could go down before it was ready to lock up and could damage the stock, mine won't do that now.

Does anyone have experience with this round or other rifles?

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,578 Senior Member
    No experience. The Varmint carrridge market has been flooded for awhile. Some come and go. Some stay. Just what happens. 
    Buy ammo while you can and you’ll not have a problem if it falls from Grace. 

Especially if you reload. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,267 Senior Member
    Well I learned something new.  I had NO ideas there was a .17 WSM.  I don’t do much varmint hunting so not my wheel house.  It must have the trajectory of a laser beam.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ds10speedds10speed Posts: 22 New Member
    The .17 WSM is a rim-fire round, not for reloading. The ammo box says "The worlds fasted rim-fire".

I got this from Wikipedia:

.17 Winchester Super Magnum, is a rimfire rifle cartridge developed by the ammunition company Winchester in 2012. It descended from the .27 caliber nail-gun blank by necking down the blank case to take a .17 caliber (4.5 mm) bullet. Initial loadings were with a 20-grain bullet, delivering muzzle velocities around 3,000 ft/s

Several options from Winchester are available, including Varmint HV 17 Winchester Super Magnum with a 20-grain polymer-tipped projectile rated at 3,000 FPS, Varmint HE 17 Winchester Super Magnum with a 25-grain polymer-tipped projectile rated at 2,600 fps, and Varmint-X 17 Winchester Super Magnum which is available with a lead-free 15-grain polymer tipped projectile, rated at 3,300 FPS.

Also my buddy has an old .25 cal rim-fire rifle from the early 1900's and I measured the brass of an old .25 round and it is the same as the WSM (.270").
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,267 Senior Member
    Ohhhh, THAT round!  I thought we were talking about a Winchester Short Magnum round I was not aware off.  Thanks for clarifying that for me.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ds10speedds10speed Posts: 22 New Member
    Ohhhh, THAT round!  I thought we were talking about a Winchester Short Magnum round I was not aware off.  Thanks for clarifying that for me.

That would be something!! Sounds dangerous!