Home Main Category Hunting

First moose with 375H&H

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 356 Member
Today moose hunting started in Finland. I was lucky as I shot a nice bull moose.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,267 Senior Member
    Wow, I’m so jealous I have no words!  Great picture and just magnificent animal.  Thanks for posting it!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,578 Senior Member
    That’s an awesome Bull!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,294 Senior Member
    Wow! Congratulations, looks to be a nice one. Can't wait for the rest of the story......
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited October 2021 #5
    Pretty cool that for most folks that would be the hunt of a lifetime and for you it’s a yearly season!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 356 Member
    Pretty cool that for most folks that would be the hunt of a lifetime and for you it’s a yearly season!
    Yeah, that is true. We shoot around 14-17 moose every season with our ~15 hunters.
    For the last few seasons I have been pretty lucky and shot couple of moose every season.  But even still, moose is still a bit more special than deer. Especially nice bulls like these.
    but to those guy in our club who have shot dozens or even around hundred moose it just some meat to freezer. Far from dream hunts as we do it every weekend as long as we have licenses left.
    -William Blake-
    Any perceived advantages to the .375 vs the 30-06 on moose?
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Any perceived advantages to the .375 vs the 30-06 on moose?
    Hits a lot harder from the distance. I shot this from 220 yards while it was slowly walking. Hit it second time after 30 meter run and it really took the steam out of it a lot faster than 06 that I have used.

Pushes a lot of smoke when shooting, my father saw as I pulled trigger from his post and laughed that do I shoot with black powder  :D
    -William Blake-
    Thanks for sharing!  It’s always interesting to me to hear about the details, especially as it pertains to cartridges and effectiveness on the hunted game.

I’ve always believed it’s the hunter more than the equipment that contributes to the outcome.  One of my buddies shot a big Alaska moose with his then new rifle which was chambered in the brand new at the time 300 WSM.  The guide kept insisting he use his .338 WinMag because he didn’t think he brought enough gun.  Big bull took three steps and collapsed.  

But there is no doubt that if I had a choice between a .30 and a .375 for Moose I’d definitely reach for the .375.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Thanks for sharing!  It’s always interesting to me to hear about the details, especially as it pertains to cartridges and effectiveness on the hunted game.

I’ve always believed it’s the hunter more than the equipment that contributes to the outcome.  One of my buddies shot a big Alaska moose with his then new rifle which was chambered in the brand new at the time 300 WSM.  The guide kept insisting he use his .338 WinMag because he didn’t think he brought enough gun.  Big bull took three steps and collapsed.  

But there is no doubt that if I had a choice between a .30 and a .375 for Moose I’d definitely reach for the .375.
    It’s a bit slippery slope though. And easy to fool yourself. This was just one, and my first with 375. so it’s not time for deeper conclusions yet.
    There’s two 9.3x62’s in our club and now my 375. Rest of the guys shoot moose with 308win. Hundreds of moose have died into bullets from the humble and universal 308.
    I do believe that the most important thing is the bullet placement. Put it through lungs and/or heart and it’s game over for the animal.
    But as you think that 375 hits harder from 330 yards than 308 from the end of the barrel, at muzzle there is a difference. But does it matter? Remains to be seen.
    -William Blake-
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,147 Senior Member
    Congratulations! What a great bull!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

It’s a bit slippery slope though. And easy to fool yourself. This was just one, and my first with 375. so it’s not time for deeper conclusions yet.
    There’s two 9.3x62’s in our club and now my 375. Rest of the guys shoot moose with 308win. Hundreds of moose have died into bullets from the humble and universal 308.
    I do believe that the most important thing is the bullet placement. Put it through lungs and/or heart and it’s game over for the animal.
    But as you think that 375 hits harder from 330 yards than 308 from the end of the barrel, at muzzle there is a difference. But does it matter? Remains to be seen.
    I agree wholeheartedly.  But It matters if you want an advantage under certain conditions.  It I was forced to take a quartering in shoulder shot on a moose at over 300 yards a .308 would make me uneasy as far as expecting a decisive one shot kill but that’s also dependent on the bullet loaded in my cartridge.  That’s just one example and the variables are endless.

Anything can be killed with just about any cartridge when presented with a perfect side high heart unobstructed shot.  And that in itself is a limitation.  It’s the more difficult or heavy bone obstructed angles where more horsepower, heavier jacketed projectiles and deeper penetration come in handy.  They just give you options.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Could be the 375 packs a bit more fun than the 308.....
      :)
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,088 Senior Member
    Wow!  Very nice!!!!

congrats!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    nice really nice
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,532 Senior Member
    Impressive Bull!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Good hustle!! What a good lookn bull!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,440 Senior Member
    Very cool, super nice congrats!  Can't say I've ever seen a suppressor on a .375 H&H.  nice!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,298 Senior Member
    Wow, lovely country and what an animal
    Very Jealous.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.