Home Main Category Hunting

Cleaned up the skull today

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 356 Member
Weather is pretty warm for the time of the year so I cleaned up,the skull right away so it doesn’t start to stink and rot.
some pics from the yesterday’s hunt too.

It was short and sweet. We had three daschhunds for driving and it was about twenty minutes after the drive had started as I saw this bull across the field, 220 yards away and I shot it twice.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 445 Member
    Nice tracked machine you guys have to pull it out of the field. 
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 356 Member
    Nice tracked machine you guys have to pull it out of the field. 
    Yeah! First season for us with the ”Iron Horse”. Earlier decades went with good ol’ elbow grease 😅
    -William Blake-
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,193 Senior Member
    Well done, i have been told that moose is great eating.
    The thought of those little dogs chasing deer and moose through the forest makes me smile.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,291 Senior Member
    edited October 2021 #5
    More info on the moose dragging device please, can you ride on it or is it an on foot and walk with it device?

Did you weigh the bull?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Love your posts and pics!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    More info on the moose dragging device please, can you ride on it or is it an on foot and walk with it device?

Did you weigh the bull?
    Here is a link to a swedish video where one can see how it works. You can find more search videos with a word ”järnhäst”. (Iron horse). It can be used for forrestry work too.

https://youtu.be/Ttk0BPbjfd4

-William Blake-
    Diver43 said:
    Well done, i have been told that moose is great eating.
    The thought of those little dogs chasing deer and moose through the forest makes me smile.
    Moose really is great eating. I prefer it over the deer.

Daschunds are great drivers. As they are so small, their speed is slow too so the deer and moose are much more calm in front of those. They can easily leave them behind if they want to but yet those tiny little dogs can keep em moving instead of throwing an anchor into some thick bush like moose like to do with men following it.
    This moose was slowly walking and the dog was about one minute behind it. It was totally calm as it knew that it can out run it when ever it likes so there’s no threat from the daschund.
    Only drawback comes with snow and general stamina compared to bigger ”moose dogs” like Karelian bear dog. Daschund can effectively take 2-3 drives (total of 10-15 miles)in a day and after that they are ready for comfy sleep in front of the fireplace.
    Great hunting dogs.
    -William Blake-
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,291 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:

Did you weigh the bull?
    Here is a link to a swedish video where one can see how it works. You can find more search videos with a word ”järnhäst”. (Iron horse). It can be used for forrestry work too.

https://youtu.be/Ttk0BPbjfd4

Very interesting equipment from that company, like to see if they ever got one stuck or centered on a rock or stump.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11