Home Main Category Clubhouse

Identify Old Truck Wreck

BigslugBigslug Senior MemberPosts: 9,382 Senior Member
Got skunked on the opening weekend of deer season in the Mojave - along with pretty much everybody else by the sound of it - but got to see some of the sights.  One of which was an abandoned mountaintop mine with the remains of this old truck:

As you can see, it's got a REALLY weird roofline over the doors/cab.  Obviously pretty scavenged, so no obvious name plates to be found.  Wondering if we've got any gearheads that can pin it down to a make and year (ish)

Same mine also had this abandoned bulldozer:

The metal plate on this beast is all pretty burly, as is the exhaust pipe - milled tubing?  Certainly not extruded.

It's all got a 1930's feel, but thought I'd throw it out there.
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,512 Senior Member
    Just needs a little rubbing  compound!!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,277 Senior Member
    Try some jumper cables.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Motor's a flathead. The curved roof is of the contemporary style in shape. I've not seen the odd looking configuration. I'm searching for one online.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,033 Senior Member
    Neat old cable lift dozer - somebody swiped the winch. And I really like the truck and its flathead engine! Little bit of bondo, some new rings, and she'll fire right up! No computers needed!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    Whenever I see old trucks like that, International comes to mind. Of course that's a complete guess.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,207 Senior Member
    The headlights say 1930s but the flat fenders are throwing me off.  Not Ford, Chevy or Dodge.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    I've checked everything from Corbit to Lori. Also checked Canadian brands common to the west coast. IH and Mack have more of a distinctive curve than others, but I can't find a match.

Likely was an ID tag on it in the door jam or firewall in the past.The engine may be marked as well. 

The windshield appears to be one piece minus a center post. Serious looking engine too. 

That dozer looks like it should be in an old news reel making WWll runways.
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 603 Senior Member
    The engine looks an awful lot like a Chrysler Flathead 6.  The fenders make me think Willys Overland, but the roof makes me wonder if it was a modification done as an up-fit, perhaps to increase protection from falling debris

This is a flathead 6 in an old Plymouth - a lot of similarities from the limited views.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    The bolt pattern on the heads and manifolds are strikingly similar. Something I noticed was that manifolds on the mystery truck look extruded or at least round or tube shaped if cast. 

I think pre war Dodge engines were highly regarded for superior pulling power.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,037 Senior Member
    I,m sure its a 41 Dodge Power Wagon 1 piece windshield , the curve of the front fender , pinched in grill/ radiator, location of oil filter and duel spacing of spark plugs , location and style of coolant intake on the head.

JAY  
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,207 Senior Member
    Jay for the win.  1941 Dodge WC9

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,068 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Try some jumper cables.
    “Ran when parked. Serious offers only, I know what I have”
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    That has to be it!

May it rest in peace.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,382 Senior Member
    '41 Dodge.  Cool!

Possibly from a couple years later - or earlier - as well.  WWII did but a bit of a halt to styling changes.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee