Home Main Category Hunting

Forward Projector Muzzle brakes.

HvyMaxHvyMax Senior MemberPosts: 1,826 Senior Member
I saw one of these at a great price and decided to give it a try. I like it a lot helps with recoil and only lightly rings the ears since I don't wear hearing protection while hunting. They don't suppress anything just give it direction just like a Barrett clamshell except away from you. I'll be fitting these to all of my hunting rifles.
Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,233 Senior Member
    Now that electronic muffs are so affordable I see no reason not to wear hearing protection while hunting.  My Walkers enhance hearing so it’s actually a hunting advantage.

I’ve thought about one of those for my shorty 7.5” AR but never got around to installing one to try out.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,561 Senior Member
    Now that electronic muffs are so affordable I see no reason not to wear hearing protection while hunting.  My Walkers enhance hearing so it’s actually a hunting advantage.

I’ve tried/have a couple forward projection brakes. They suck at both worlds. 
    Not enough control of muzzle rise to be worth the effort and not enough noise attenuation to justify the pain. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    Yeah I have electronic muffs too. Not as directional as I would like. I've been hunting since the early 70's and still like to stalk. Up until a few years ago almost all of my hunting was with a 45cal Kentucky Rifle/Pistol combo. Now that Maryland has made straight wall center fires legal I'm expanding into 450 Bushmaster and 350 Legend AR's and will probably break out the 44 mag as well. I tried the Bushmaster last year and it looked like Zee's 458 victim. I think JHP's from the Legend and 44 should do nicely. The projector works great on the legend so I will be getting one for the Bushmaster and my HD Bullpup. I wouldn't call them hearing "safe" but vastly improved from the shooters prospective.
    I figure that any time I'm using a gun for real I probably won't have hearing protection on. I'm using all of my senses to the max. Now that the hearing protection act is dead I might have to go the whole Class 2 route. I guess I should print up a few Form 1's and get it over with.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,369 Senior Member
    I have a brake that looks very similar. I got it years ago for a Savage Axis in 308. My thoughts on it mirror Zee's. It sucks. It does both jobs pretty poorly. I also found, in my case, when I remove the sleeve from the outside, POI changed significantly. Like 4-6" change, just between the sleeve being on or off. It did seem like the brake did a slightly better job without the sleeve on it. But it still sucks.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,190 Senior Member
    I have two linear brakes.  They dont do much much but direct sound down range.  It does seem to be a little less of a report when shooting
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    HvyMax said:
    Yeah I have electronic muffs too. Not as directional as I would like. I've been hunting since the early 70's and still like to stalk. Up until a few years ago almost all of my hunting was with a 45cal Kentucky Rifle/Pistol combo. Now that Maryland has made straight wall center fires legal I'm expanding into 450 Bushmaster and 350 Legend AR's and will probably break out the 44 mag as well. I tried the Bushmaster last year and it looked like Zee's 458 victim. I think JHP's from the Legend and 44 should do nicely. The projector works great on the legend so I will be getting one for the Bushmaster and my HD Bullpup. I wouldn't call them hearing "safe" but vastly improved from the shooters prospective.
    Walker’s Quad muffs have 4 microphones and are EXCELLENT with directional hearing.  That problem with electronics has been fixed.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    HvyMax said:
    Walker’s Quad muffs have 4 microphones and are EXCELLENT with directional hearing.  That problem with electronics has been fixed.

I’ve thought about one of those for my shorty 7.5” AR but never got around to installing one to try out.
    You need a Keepshooting Flash Enhancer for that. Everyone at the range will love you!!! My electronics are all probably 6-12 years old. They are great for the range. I haven't experienced anything newer than those. Probably 1-2 mic's. I've been off the grid for a few years. Lately I've been spending more time on motorcycle stuff.
    HvyMax said:
    HvyMax said:

You need a Keepshooting Flash Enhancer for that. Everyone at the range will love you!!! My electronics are all probably 6-12 years old. They are great for the range. I haven't experienced anything newer than those. Probably 1-2 mic's. I've been off the grid for a few years. Lately I've been spending more time on motorcycle stuff.
    Try a set of new Walker's.  They'll blow you away...
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,438 Senior Member
    Many years ago when I was given an opportunity to try an asymmetrical muzzle brake for tactical shooting.  It had a single port at 1 o'clock that was had roughly 3/8".  It was actually tuned for my rifle.  It's sole purpose was to reduce muzzle jump nearly 95%.  Once tuned, our crosshairs even on short range targets just twitched up and down keeping you on target even with the recoil.  Best I've ever tried, keeping muzzle jump down.  Though too hard to mass produce as it had to be tuned to a particular rifle.  About this time we started seeing slotted ports instead of holes on breaks.  These greatly helped with both recoil and muzzle jump over the brakes with lots of holes.

I like the Walker idea, might have to invest in some of those.  
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    @Jeff in TX if you go fit the Walkers for hunting invest in the Quads.  The directional hearing can’t be beat!   I was wearing a set this weekend helping with group training and I could easily and CLEARLY discern direction of individual voices 360 degrees around me.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,438 Senior Member
    @Jeff in TX if you go fit the Walkers for hunting invest in the Quads.  The directional hearing can’t be beat!   I was wearing a set this weekend helping with group training and I could easily and CLEARLY discern direction of individual voices 360 degrees around me.
    Thanks for the heads up, what's the battery life on those?
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Thanks for the heads up, what's the battery life on those?
    I can’t tell you exactly but I can tell you I wear them for hours at a time shooting and training people several times a week, and it’s weeks before I have to change batteries maybe even Uber a month per pair.  I don’t know exactly because I have several pairs and I grab whichever is closer to me at the time.

Also I have the Bluetooth version that pairs with my iPhone so I also take phone calls and sometimes listen to music while I shoot so I’m not a light battery user.

And last, the Quad Bluetooth normally goes for $170 or so but keep an eye on Midway because every once in a while they put them on sale for under $100 and sometimes as low as $75!!!  I keep an eye on the webpage and buy spares when that happens.  Sometimes I post it here as a PSA 😁

I lend the spares to students that come in with passive muffs so I don’t have to yell for hours at a time.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬