Home Main Category Clubhouse

A little food for thought

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 17,680 Senior Member
Sometimes I like to think about the things this country used to be able to accomplish...Case in point; During 1944 the Grumman Corp was cranking out 500 F6F Hellcats a month...there were so many Hellcats in the pipeline that if a Hellcat on one of our aircraft carriers in the Pacific developed an engine problem, they would simply push it overboard and bring in a new one....
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,430 Senior Member
    Not a good idea if Patton knew of Churchill's Operation Unthinkable Plan. If they got Ike to go with it to Roosevelt...... might have needed those planes the East
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,084 Senior Member
    The countries too worried about gender assignment, climate and any other thing that the beta males and morons can think up to piss and moan about. The days of a strong nation with loyal citizens is well behind us I'm afraid.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,434 Senior Member
    edited October 13 #4
    The countries too worried about gender assignment, climate and any other thing that the beta males and morons can think up to piss and moan about. The days of a strong nation with loyal citizens is well behind us I'm afraid.
    I fear you are correct
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,854 Senior Member
    Now we can't even unload all the shipping containers to feed our glutenous consumer juggernaut.

What will I do without new wiget brackets?
     :/ 
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,472 Senior Member
    Now we can't even unload all the shipping containers to feed our glutenous consumer juggernaut.

unfortunate we can blame ourselves for this.

its OUR (EVERYONES) greed to keep others from getting a piece of the pie.  I know our port tried to expand, but others wanted to put more $$ into LA...

same for other things. we want cheaper things, but dont want to pay for it.  So its what we got with many things offshore.

you would think that we would learn after COVID and trying to get PPE, but nope.  back to the same old greed.

it doesnt bother me, since you could be rich or the other person that thinks they are better than others, but you cant hide from many things.  Eventually it will be your time or just bad luck.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    knitepoet said:
    I fear you are correct
    afaik, the USA we have never had 100% loyalty...its a great concept and unicorn type of belief, but everyone is an individual and if you look at whats going on now, it just reinforces that.

Maybe if something big and bad happens and you can get SOME consensus, you may find that most will rally around you or that idea....but there will always be those in the shadows/outliers.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,430 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,854 Senior Member
    Food for thought...........

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,009 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Sometimes I like to think about the things this country used to be able to accomplish...Case in point; During 1944 the Grumman Corp was cranking out 500 F6F Hellcats a month...there were so many Hellcats in the pipeline that if a Hellcat on one of our aircraft carriers in the Pacific developed an engine problem, they would simply push it overboard and bring in a new one....
    During WW2 Ford's Willow Run had 1 B-24 roll off the assembly line every 63 minutes, that's 684 a month, 

This country met the challenge than , I doubt we could do it today

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,814 Senior Member
    Meh. . . Our active, boots-on-the-ground involvement in WWI amounted to what - a short handful of months?  We'd have sat that one out entirely if not for a couple key events - and probably wisely so, given the massive influx of immigration we had from all nations involved in that conflict in the years just prior.

Without Pearl Harbor, how much longer would we have sat out the second one?  Americans in general didn't care about Japanese and Chinese or various Europeans killing each other then; we don't seem to care about Hong Kong or Taiwan now.

Hell, in 1860 half the country thought that following in the footsteps of George Washington meant taking up arms against the other half.

We've never really had a unified culture.  At best, we've sometimes managed a "mind your own business" one.  WWII was indeed the high point during which we worked really hard to get back to minding our own business and ignoring each other.  After 9/11 GWB royally screwed the pooch and missed his Pearl Harbor moment when he said "Our existing forces as they stand will handle this.  Y'all go on about your shopping" .  That could have bought us a couple extra decades of something like cohesiveness.

The "Great American Melting Pot" concept that I was raised on as a kid has been replaced in my mind with "The Great American Reactor with insufficient control rods"
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    fwiw,

even though im a royal pessimist...i believe we can still kick butt.  What/where will be the circumstances, who knows.

but it wont be 100% everyone on board since there will always be others that are for themselves and think they are better than the rest of us.  But thats ok, since i see it in my daily work, where people come together to fix issues and get the job done.

It wont happen overnight and making some factory to crank out some fighter wont happen overnight, but given time, it could happen.  I also believe in American ingenuity.  Look at Tesla and Space X.  Other places put down those that think for themselves, where as the USA still believes in that - for now.

id never believe in my lifetime i would see self driving cars yet alone going to low earth orbit.  i dont have the money for 1, but do for the other.  But who knows what will come 10+ years down the road.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 1,293 Senior Member
    A few weeks ago I posted about the fact that Chinese technology and manufacturing has now passed us by and some disagreed (rather enthusiastically) with me.  I hope their recent launch of a military missile that has capabilities beyond anything WE have, and BTW caught our intelligence services totally by surprise, settled that issue for good.  I’ve been dealing with those folks for years, actually decades.  NO shock here…

If you’re judging their capabilities by the products you see at Harbor Freight you are sadly mistaken.  We only see what they allow us to see and buy what they ALLOW US to buy.  The really good stuff stays home with them…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬