Home Main Category General Firearms

.45 Colt - Charter Arms Bulldog

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    How much did you grind off?
    Don’t know how scientific this is. But, I estimated. Taking 5 serrations moved the 250gr Gold Dot up 5 inches. So…….an inch a serration?  Don’t know if they planned that in their design. Would be cool if they did. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited November 2021 #123
    Spk said:
    Zee said:
    I have 4 and while dissatisfied in their appearance for fit/finish………their performance has yet to disappoint. 
    It seems Gun Tests had the same issue with the barrel not being screwed in all the way with the Pit Bull.
    It doesn't really bother me since I modify my own guns anyway, I like a project and those guns are affordable.

So they need some adjustments, I can live with that. 👍

The Blued .44 Special I have is actually kinda nice looking. “Prettiest “ of the bunch. I guess that one was built on a Wednesday. 
    The stainless .357 Mag, .45 ACP, and .44 Colt are getting rotated for daily ranch duty. And that cheap Uncle Mines flap holster is doing a good job protecting them. Keeps the dust off them and stays off dings and scratches. Though, the ACP wood grip got a light ding. ****. But, that’s their job description.  The other two wear rubber grips and they do their job. 
    edited November 2021 #124
    I still want one in 9mm and .40 S&W. 
    I keep eyes on BudsGunShop as they have decent prices on the CA and seem to get plenty in. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Hmmm. . .if the .40 is using their unique rimless-round grasping system, do we know if the cylinders will also take 10mm?  Or are they long enough to be bored to accommodate them?  A better way to sling 200 grains perhaps...
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    Hmmm. . .if the .40 is using their unique rimless-round grasping system, do we know if the cylinders will also take 10mm?  Or are they long enough to be bored to accommodate them?  A better way to sling 200 grains perhaps...
    Pretty sure they won’t take 10mm from the factory, otherwise, it would be a 10mm. Whether it can be bored out to accept, I’m not sure. 
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:
    Pretty sure they won’t take 10mm from the factory, otherwise, it would be a 10mm. Whether it can be bored out to accept, I’m not sure. 
    Yeah. . .to be approached with some studious caution.  I've got no idea on how that extractor system works - if it headspaces the rounds on these auto cartridges or if they're still being locked into front/rear alignment by the case mouth.  Hrmmmmm.....
    WWJMBD?

If that’s the case, I can try and put a .45 Colt in the cylinder of my .45 ACP. If it headspaces off the case mouth, the Colt shouldn’t make it to the rim, no?
    Case mouth. This is as far as the Colt will enter the ACP cylinder. 

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    edited November 2021 #130
    Sometimes the chambers are stepped. As is the case with the ACP cylinder in my Ruger 45 convertible. A clearly visible be shoulder of smaller diameter holds the case mouths for headspace. Other times not. Although I've no example to verify.

Jack's, aka NYGunowner's 45 cowboy brass oddly enough chambers in my ACP cylinder. It was tight, and done accidentally, and never repeated.

A careful check of SAAMI cartridge spec's might be a good idea  for size and MAP comparison.
    edited November 2021 #131
    There are a couple
    sharp edges on the backstraps of the Colt that cut my hand when shooting. So, I ordered a set of these VZ Grips G10 Backpacker grips just now. 

Hopefully they solve the problem and are pleasantly functional. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,043 Senior Member
    I don’t see Charter on the VZ grips website. Where did you find them?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,008 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    There are a couple
    sharp edges on the backstraps of the Colt that cut my hand when shooting. So, I ordered a set of these VZ Grips G10 Backpacker grips just now. 

Why? You run out of tape?!?!? 
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    I don’t see Charter on the VZ grips website. Where did you find them?
     Charter Arms. 

Zee said:
    There are a couple

Why? You run out of tape?!?!? 

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    He wants to put lipstick on a pig…. Let him have his fun with his cheap entertainment… 😉🤓
    Jay said:
    He wants to put lipstick on a pig…. Let him have his fun with his cheap entertainment… 😉🤓
    I’ve been contemplating this since I first shot the gun. The factory rubber grips work fine on the .357 Mag. I swapped the factory wood grips to the .45 ACP. Considered putting the factory wood grips
    on the Colt. But…….the G10 grips are actually cheaper!!  Win. 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    👍 Just messing around, of course. Those G10 grips actually do look kinda nice. I’m sure they’ll do the job you want them to do and it all works out good. 😎

Besides, the more you stay entertained, the less crayons you eat… win, win!!!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,204 Senior Member
    Please keep a tally of all the time and money spent on this inexpensive gun....asking for a friend ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Jay said:

Besides, the more you stay entertained, the less crayons you eat… win, win!!!

CHIRO1989 said:
    Please keep a tally of all the time and money spent on this inexpensive gun....asking for a friend ;)
    So far, $50 for the grips. The bullets and powder can be used for other guns as well. 😁
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,204 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    So far, $50 for the grips. The bullets and powder can be used for other guns as well. 😁
    Not quite Ruger money, but closer ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited November 2021 #143
    Ok, just got these in today. I’ve wanted to get these for awhile. I am STOKED about finally using them. Gonna start with Unique and move to H110 if I have to!!!  900-1,000 fps is my goal and I think they will be awesome!!
    Whether in this gun or another of my .45 Colts. 

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    A 250 Gr XTP over 25 Gn of H110 is a fairly stout Ruger only load that my Blackhawk likes.  Not sure how stout you can go with the Charter Arms.
    Taffin's recipe here in G&A used a magnum primer also 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    A 250 Gr XTP over 25 Gn of H110 is a fairly stout Ruger only load that my Blackhawk likes.  Not sure how stout you can go with the Charter Arms.
    Taffin's recipe here in G&A used a magnum primer also 
    I used that load and actually think mine was 26gr H110 under the 250gr XTP. 
    Posted at the beginning of this thread. It was relatively accurate and a good POI………..but felt like someone hitting my hand with a sledge and I questioned the resilience of the firearm from the abuse. Not to mention…….the fireball in daylight. Was fast, though. 😁
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    H110 and cast lead will have substantially more lead fouling than faster powders.

The long part inside the gun that slides back and forth to open and relatch the swing out cylinder gets slammed during ignition. It, and anything it contacts will be effected. If the cylinder opens unexpectedly during fire or gets stuck closed. It's a redline.

Not to be confused with redpalm.
    :-)
    I think you'll find Unique to be the more sensible fuel for this one.  Now your CONTENDER, on the other hand. . . :)

So just to throw a little temperance on the enthusiasm - absolutely stick with your goal of 900-1000 fps, BUT, just for giggles, see how it compares on the terminal side throttled back from that a little.

I'm pretty sure the 250 WC will not be wanting for penetration even thrown slow, and that you may be at a point of diminishing returns where you get a lot more wear on your hand and maybe the gun for effectively zip for improved results on target.  I KNOW serious drama starts on jugs with that kind of nose north of 1400 fps, but from 700 to 1000, it may all be much the same.  If so, I'll take the reduced recoil, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, how high up will this load be on the "trapped pigs" prioritization?  It get's my "like" and "subscribe"  :D
    WWJMBD?

I have my Buddy attempting to trap a suitable pig for my new “work” ammo of 147gr 9mm Speer Gold Dot Gen2 (specialty load). After that……we will see. 
    edited November 2021 #149
    But, I don’t agree with you on the 700-1,000 fps same/same. 
    From what I’ve been playing around with, the 950-1,050 fps threshold opens up a whole new world from everything lesser. 
    That’s why it’s been my target velocity. 
    Speed kills. There is no question about that. The test is finding the projectile to withstand the speed. 
    I PROMISE you, a projectile that holds together and penetrates at high speed will have a higher terminal performance than a projectile that holds together and penetrates at slow speed. It’s science!